10/23 Explorer-free steak but no gala buffet

Just off Explorer. Food was great and I did not notice any cutting back on the dinner menu. Lots of meat and fish choices and NY strip steak was free every night in dining room and it was pretty good. There was also chicken breast available each night as an alternate choice. A few nights there was an additional beef option too. Room service food was terrific although choices are a little limited. This was a 9 night cruise and there was only one late island themed buffet by the pool. There was no grand buffet that used to be typical at the end of the cruise. They had 3 ice carving demonstrations by the pool throughout the cruise. Still got chocolates on the bed and great towel animals. Debarkation was a long wait and our number did not get called until after 10:30. However, it seemed more organized than last year and we did not have to wait for an elevator or push through crowds to get off the ship. Any questions?

I asked this on another thread about your cruise, but didn't get a response.

Was your cruise full, and if not, you you get paid upgrades at the port?

Did you go to Samana, and if so, what did you do there?

Thanks.

Lauri

After cruising with RCL 14 times over the last 15 years, it's very noticeable how far the food quality has declined. The deserts especially are the worst.

The prime rib was barely edible the first night. Stringy and full of gristle and fat. I tried it again the second formal night and it was better, but not the standard I would expect a decent restaurant to serve.

The steak that was served every night was much better. The other beef dishes were very good.

Debarkation was really ridiculous!

We are diamond traveling with 3 other non diamond cabins. They all got off half an hr before us. So much for priority debarkation!

As we entered our assigned lounge, we were given group numbers and those were called instead of by tag color. Total Joke!

Thanks.

Lauri

Most Royal ships sail full. This was no exception.

Thanks.

Lauri

The Explorer did not go to the DR on this cruise and there are signs in Cape Liberty they do not do upgrades at the pier. The Explorer sails at full capacity. You can always ask at guest relations when you board but it is very unlikely upgrades would be available. Upgrades are usually given to people before the sail date if available.

What nights were you formal nights ?

Formal nights are usually the second night and the next to last night of the cruise. However, on this cruise they made the second formal night a night early due to the Halloween parade.

yes, on my last explorer cruise in sept teh only buffet was the pool side buffet and it really was pityful. nothing looked good enough to eat. the lines were really long, by the ime i got there all there was to eat was a few jerk chicken drumsticks that did not look good. there was not even any fruit so i took a piece of fruit from a display to eat!!! i cant remember what else was there so that tells you how memorable it was. i do miss teh former gala buffets.

Archived