Third time...which cruise?

lovesublime

We're planning our third consecutive Alaskan cruise and want something different. We've done Norwegian Pearl-Seattle R/T and Carnival Spirit oneway Southbound. We're thinking about a Vancouver R/T this time. We would like to spend some time in Vancouver-either before or after. We're possibly considering a side trip to Whistler-any advice there? Here's our likes and dislikes. Ketchikan is our least favorite port-don't care if we ever go there again. We like Sitka and wouldn't mind visiting there again. We have twice done the Skagway-Emerald Lake drive, but wouldn't mind trying something different. Any type of flightseeing is out, but an all day excursion like Tracy Arm would be okay.

We definitely think we'll cruise in May as the weather seems to be better. We had pretty bad weather this past June/July. Also, I should add that we're pretty active outdoorsy types so excursions and such don't have to be "soft". We would appreciate any advice on a suitable cruise. Any cruise line is fine with us, and money is not a big concern. Thanks!

We're planning our third consecutive Alaskan cruise and want something different. We've done Norwegian Pearl-Seattle R/T and Carnival Spirit oneway Southbound. We're thinking about a Vancouver R/T this time. We would like to spend some time in Vancouver-either before or after. We're possibly considering a side trip to Whistler-any advice there? Here's our likes and dislikes. Ketchikan is our least favorite port-don't care if we ever go there again. We like Sitka and wouldn't mind visiting there again. We have twice done the Skagway-Emerald Lake drive, but wouldn't mind trying something different. Any type of flightseeing is out, but an all day excursion like Tracy Arm would be okay.

We definitely think we'll cruise in May as the weather seems to be better. We had pretty bad weather this past June/July. Also, I should add that we're pretty active outdoorsy types so excursions and such don't have to be "soft". We would appreciate any advice on a suitable cruise. Any cruise line is fine with us, and money is not a big concern. Thanks!

Have you ever thought about ditching the big glitzy cruise ships and trying a small ship Alaska experience? That's what we did for our 2nd trip and it was wonderful. We went on a Cruise West ship (82 passengers) for a week in Prince William Sound. We stopped in Cordova, where no big ships can go, for a really different experience. If you're interested, click on my 2008 Alaska trip review link below.

You will find the true inside passage cruise out of Vancouver to be a lovely trip and much more scenic then the ones out of Seattle as you are hardly ever out of sight of land.

A trip to Whistler is a good investment of time and it is a great spot during the summer. You can go via train on the Rocky Mountaineer, by coach with a service such as Perimiter Transportation or simply rent a car and drive (about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs each way). At Whistler there are accomodations to fit all budgets but I would recommend that you stay in the main village not at Creekside as it is a little out of the swing of things. Once there you will find lots of things to do like shopping, biking miles of paved trails, walking, golf, tennis, you can take the lift up on the mountain or just strool in the village.

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/

http://www.perimeterbus.com/

http://www.whistler.com/

LoveSublime,

Have you check out http://www.rssc.com and their one-way Anchorage to Vancouver on May 20th?

That is the cruise we will be on and if you have not cruised on an all-inclusive and all-balcony ship you may want to check it out.

We received 2 for 1 and free-air.

I realize that it may be a little more than you expected to spend, but in my opinion, if you want a smaller ship that is port intensive (only one day at sea), you may want to look into a luxury cruise this time. There really isn't a bad cabin on the ship, so you can still get the lowest level and feel like you are at the Ritz.

This suite would be around 6,400 for two:

http://www.rssc.com/ships/suites.jsp?code=MAR&suitecode=13

IMHO of course.

HAL has some excellent itineraries out of Vancouver. :) I would perhaps consider an itinerary that includes Hubbard Glacier, since, you didn't get there yet?? IF you want a Tracy Arm, then your list gets even shorter, since you need an all day Juneau port time.

As you must already know, there are no guarantees on weather, so go when the timeframe meets your priorities best. And be well prepared for any weather. Another option to consider with your touring priorities is a glacier trek out of Juneau, has gotten rave reviews. :)

As for Whistler, for me, it is more a winter resort area. Certain very very nice, and a beautiful drive there. I would also suggest a consideration of Vancover Island, if you have several days?? I spent 5, with 4 of those on the north end, Port Hardy. Extremely scenic, "quiet" and open. Excellent northern resident pod, orca watching (do consider more than one trip, since they do have a big range). Plenty to see and do. :)

Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I was actually surprised to see how reasonable Regent is. It's under consideration. We have family who have cruised with them and they rave about it. I'll spend the rest of the week looking at HAL. They seem to have so many ships in Alaska and offer a lot of options. Putterdude-thank you for the links-very helpful. We are also thinking about adding a few extra days so we can explore Vancouver Island. We wanted to do that this last trip, but we just didn't have the time. I'll get back and let you know what we decide on. Thanks all! :)

Since I'm quite sure I didn't see that you've visited Icy Strait Point; a stop I highly recommend. There's quite a few options out of this port including kayaking; incredible whale watching and simply an Alaskan destination w/o all the imported jewelry shops/T-shirt shops. Point Adolphus is the area where whale watching excursions visit out of Icy Strait and it's known to have about the best whale watching in Alaska in Alaska. We literally didn't know where to look next and close up whale tails became quite common place! I have one pic of a breaching whale where only his tail was still in the water!

This year the Pacific Princess visits Icy Strait bi-weekly (a R/T Seattle-14 night cruise with super ports of call); as well as RCCL and Celebrity North or Southbound on way that stop in Icy Strait.

Just another suggestion from someone who loves this destination so much that we spent a great 3 nights before our cruise in Hoonah/Icy Strait this last August.

I would also suggest going to Hubbard Glacier for a 3rd cruise, but it won't be on a HAL roundtrip out of Vancouver. HAL has 2 ships doing roundtrips from Vancouver, and both go to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

I chose the northbound HAL Veendam for my 2nd Alaska cruise (in 2008) to see Hubbard Glacier and 2 new ports - Haines and Sitka, as well as Ketchikan and Juneau. HAL Ryndam does the same itinerary in 2009.

Just curious why anyone would go on a THIRD Alaska cruise???

The second one for me was one too many. I would much prefer to spend time on the ground seeing REALLY unusual people and places. NOT available on a cruise. You don't get to Prudhoe, Barrow or the Katmai on a cruise. Just too much of Alaska that is truly wild and spectacular that you don't see on a cruise.

Just curious.

The second one for me was one too many. I would much prefer to spend time on the ground seeing REALLY unusual people and places. NOT available on a cruise. You don't get to Prudhoe, Barrow or the Katmai on a cruise. Just too much of Alaska that is truly wild and spectacular that you don't see on a cruise.

Just curious.

I'd say you are in the minority when it comes to enjoying the 2nd Alaska cruise!

DH and I enjoyed both of our Alaskan Cruises, however when we return in 2010 we will do land tour only.

We did short land tours after both our cruises, but do agree with greatam that there is a lot to be seen that can not be seen from a Ship.

I did a 9-day land trip after both of my Alaska cruises, and I enjoyed them as much as the cruises, if not more. However, I would gladly cruise to Alaska year after year if I could. There are ports and glaciers I haven't seen yet, and some that I'd like to repeat. There are also many other places in the world I want to visit, so a yearly trip to Alaska isn't in the cards.

I can definately agree on plenty else, interior Alaska to consider. :) I have been on many Alaska cruises, always enjoyable, but definately repeative for me. I do plenty of other travel, so it doesn't limit me with other destinations. Being this is a cruise posting board, many can cruise to Alaska every year. :) This year may bring about some great deals, which I will leave open to picking a later season late booked trip as well.

Just curious.

The reason I would like to go on a second Alaska cruise is to see Hubbard Glacier. There were no cruises I could find that went to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. We chose Glacier Bay and College Fjords for our first trip, with enough time in Juneau to do the all day Tracy Fjord excursion. If we could find one of those bargain cruises I would love to go back to see Hubbard. Once I see that, I do not see myself wanting to go on another cruise to Alaska. Cruising is not my style of travel. However it was a convenient, relatively inexpensive way to see Alaska.

The reason I would like to go on a second Alaska cruise is to see Hubbard Glacier. There were no cruises I could find that went to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. We chose Glacier Bay and College Fjords for our first trip, with enough time in Juneau to do the all day Tracy Fjord excursion. If we could find one of those bargain cruises I would love to go back to see Hubbard. Once I see that, I do not see myself wanting to go on another cruise to Alaska. Cruising is not my style of travel. However it was a convenient, relatively inexpensive way to see Alaska.

I agree with that. I didn't think I would ever cruise to Alaska. We went on a cruise 10 years or so ago and I hated it (Caribbean). When it was DH's and DS's turn to choose a destination last year, they chose Alaska. I didn't want to go there much less on a cruise, but I figured it was the easiest way to see some of Alaska. As it turned out we all totally loved it.

We normally take two trips a year and next year it will be Alaska and a non-cruising trip to various countries in South America, plus we'll be in the Caribbean in a couple of weeks. So it's not like we don't go anywhere else. As far as touing the interior of Alaska and visiting Barrow etc.-yeah, we've given it some thought, but there are other places we would rather see first-such as South America. For us, an Alaskan cruise is a quick, easy, affordable trip that gets us out of the stiffling heat and humidity for a while. We still haven't decided which cruise next year, but I've enjoyed the advice and recommendations posted here. Thanks!

Archived