Fuel surcharge refunds??

crusinbanjo

We're on the Noordam at the end of February. Pail up completely last month. Our TA told us we would be credited for the $180 on our credit card. That would seem to me to be the simplest way (perhaps not the most profitable) for Hal to handle it. Rudy

The press release our agency received yesterday, December 4, 2009 said:

A refund of the fuel supplement will be made in the form of a shipboard credit for all bookings within the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008. All bookings outside of the final payment period for departures on or after December 17, 2008 will be adjusted to remove the fuel supplement and guests will be provided with a revised final payment amount.

The same information appears on HAL’s website. Nowhere does it mention the refund being credited back to the guest credit card or that the credit on the shipboard account can’t be used to pay the daily service fee.

I wouldn't expect them to apply it to your credit card, becasue that requires a second transaction with the credit card company instead just the one they'll already be doing when they settle your shipboard account. HAL also gets to use your money for a few more months.

I’m sailing February 7 on the Oosterdam and expect my account at the end of the cruise to be the lowest balance I’ve ever had.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Received an email this morning from Holland America called an Important Notification.

The fuel supplement of $180.00 has been removed.

Hip Hip Hooray.

Congrats!!

What is the date your cruise departs, though? Was yours an exception to the "rule"?

Well, I have to trust my TA on this one. I'll let you know when the credit comes through.

T.

Well, better to trust HAL than your ta on this one...unless your ta took your payment inhouse and hadn't paid HAL yet.

If your booking is paid in full to HAL, you will get the fuel surcharge as onboard credit only. If your booking is not paid in full at HAL, the fuel supplements are being deducted from the invoice. I just started pulling up all my Carnival Corp cruiseline invoices.......and that's exactly what they have done.

And if your ta took your final payment inhouse and hadn't paid HAL yet... well...........then your agent will have to refund your credit card.

to whom do we need to inquire if we are eligible for the refund? Can this be done at check in, or will they automatically credit us? We sail 1/3/09, so I gather it is to early to determine if we will get the refund

Unless the surcharge is reinstated, you will get the refund. The surcharge has been suspended for all cruises departing on or after 12/17/08. It is to be refunded as on-board credit for everyone who has paid in full; it will be removed from the final bill for those who still have to complete payment.

We sail on the Oosterdam on March 14. We just received an adjusted bill that reflected the deletion of the fuel surcharge. Not a OBC, but a reduction on the total amount due...

That's because you haven't made final payment yet. No need to collect the surcharge simply to return it to you.

people need to be caring and kind who post and post

replies. no one here is to be critized. this board is to

share info. NO ONE NEEDS TO BE TO BE REDICULED.

'

if you do not have anything nice and postive to say about your fellow poster keep it to yourself

a good saying is think of you want to think

but do not say everything you think

i hope that helps you out

people need to be caring and kind who post and post

replies. no one here is to be critized. this board is to

share info. NO ONE NEEDS TO BE TO BE REDICULED.

'

if you do not have anything nice and postive to say about your fellow poster keep it to yourself

a good saying is think of you want to think

but do not say everything you think

i hope that helps you out

Where are you being ridiculed? All the Poster said was there is a lengthy discussion on another thread in which you asked the same question? I agree! JTL513 answered your question clearly in a concise way..Perhaps you did not understand his answer...If so why not ask him what he meant instead of re-posting the same question on another thread..

QUOTE: Originally Posted by auntdana

Also what happens at the end of the cruise if you have ship board credit left?

All OBC's are applied to your account on the first day, so you start out with a positive balance. As charges are applied that balance decreases. Since the the fuel OBC was never more than $9/p/d for anyone, and just the Hotel Service Charge is $11/p/d, there is no possible way that you can have a positive balance at the end of the cruise - UNLESS you have some other OBCs or put down a cash deposit up front. UNQUOTE

Please lighten up & don't take such answers as critisizm..I think that Ruth C's answer to you was very positive! She is a very nice lady & is well respected on this board..:)

Instead, you are now criticizing her with your post!..If you have a problem with another's post to you the rules of this board state you are to contact the moderators & not start an argument..That is what the little red box in the right hand corner is for..

If one becomes so super sensitive to suggestions from very knowledgeable posters no one will bother to answer them...Also you perhaps are not aware that the board guidelines suggest that you do not continue to repeat the same question on many different threads..

Not a criticism just a suggestion..;)

Cheers..:):)Betty

:confused:"That is what the little red box in the right hand corner is for"..Whoops that sentence is confusing..Should clarify my statement above..Tried to edit it but timed out..

It's not a box it's a little red triangle with an exclamation (!) point in the middle in the right hand corner of a post is for you to contact the moderators if you do not like a posters reply to you & they then will be the judges & decide if the post is against Cruise Critic Rules..

Again not a criticism, just a suggestion..

Cheers..:)Betty

:confused:"That is what the little red box in the right hand corner is for"..Whoops that sentence is confusing..Should clarify my statement above..Tried to edit it but timed out..

It's not a box it's a little red triangle with an exclamation (!) point in the middle in the right hand corner of a post is for you to contact the moderators if you do not like a posters reply to you & they then will be the judges & decide if the post is against Cruise Critic Rules..

Again not a criticism, just a suggestion..

Cheers..:)Betty

You are a day late :eek: The offending posts were removed....:) Now how about back to the topic....isn't it great that the fuel surcharge is gone :D

Tayo and Kristy

We are sailing on the 13th of December and I thought it was at least worth a try to ask for the refund since it was only that one single day that oil prices squeaked a few cents above the (arbitrary) $70 a barrel cutoff. I specifically asked why they didn't use an average price instead of the convoluted daily price. I also said that this was our very first ever cruise and that we were thrilled and excited about everything except this fuel surcharge policy and then I very politely asked for the refund or at least a partial refund since the surcharges are oficially dropped starting the 15th (2 days into our cruise) . Asking for/getting 5 days worth back seemed reasonable to me.

Here is the cut-and-paste form letter that they sent. They did not actually reply to any of my concerns (why they didn't average the price) and did not even address the idea of a partial refund. Quite disappointing. Oh well, I'm glad I at least tried. :p We're still going to have a great time on the cruise!

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the fuel charge. Carnival Corporation brand had to define a very specific policy for the implementation of the fuel supplement refund in order to be able to clearly communicate it to our guests. A formula was established for providing a refund of the fuel supplement. The formula defines when a fuel supplement refund will apply to each departure date and it requires that each departure date be evaluated independently.

On each voyage the price of light sweet crude oil must be at $70.00 per barrel or less, according to the NYMEX New York Mercantile Exchange Index, on all 25 consecutive trading days ending 5 trading days prior to your cruise departure date. If one day of those 25 consecutive trading days is over $70.00 per barrel a refund will not be made.

We recognize there have been dates that the price has gone up just over $70.00 per barrel. Carnival Corporation will not make any exceptions to this policy. Holland America Line strives to make our policies fair to all guests on each sailing. In some cases, such as this, the policy is set forth by Carnival Corporation for all members of the World?s Leading Cruise Line to follow.

Holland America Line endeavors to make our policies fair to all guests on each sailing while staying within the guidelines that have been set. We hope this clarifies our guideline. We look forward to welcoming you on board in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Marsha

Holland America Line

877-724-5425

Archived