Climbing Mt. Vesuvius

Has anyone done this on their own or just as part of a shore excursion? How challenging is the climb? I noticed on the shore excursion through RCCL you have to be at least 10 to climb. Is this just their rule or will they let an 8 year old climb if you do it on your own? Thanks all.

Thanks all. We have decided to go on our own with a private tour. We are doing Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius and the Archeological Museum in Naples. So we will plan on DS8 climbing too and if he doesn't want to he can stay at the car with either mom or dad. Will work out well.

Thanks for all the input.

We don't have hiking shoes. Haven't had those since I lived in Switzerland. So just crosstrainers/running shoes. That is what I would wear for going on a jog/walk/hike here. That should work I think. I have a pair of Clarks I plan on wearing in most ports but I think this will be our American/Canadian tourist day with the running shoes on all our feet.

In about 10 days we will summit!

Debbi

My youngest was barely 3 when we hiked it on our own and he still remembers it. Take the offered walking sticks (costs a couple of dollars 'donation'). The stick helped alot towards the top where it's quite rocky and a little steep.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on your breathing and your back.

i wasn't winded, but the incline was too great for my back. I got 3/4 way up. It was very hot (June). It was slippery coming down due to the loose stone.

Remember.. no toilets. Unless the guy with the portapotty is still down the road and charging $ for use.

I saw many many overweight and old people doing the trek. Some in native dress (very heavy native dress)

Archived