EOS - Cape Liberty - How late can I leave my Office?

mistybaby

The rest of my family will be taking the whole day off and heading in our car to the port on Friday morning for EOS out of Cape Liberty. Realistically, how late can I leave my midtown office (Grand Central area) by car service, and make it to the ship in time (keep in mind I will only have my carryon)?

Thanks.

Gosh, do you have to work that day? Obviously you do, or you wouldn't have posted. ;)

Well, I don't live in the area but I do know you have to be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to sailing. If you arrive any later than that, you could be denied boarding (it's for security reasons). So, working backwards, I guess you could figure it out. The boarding process at Bayonne is very efficient and expedient; you are processed by Deck number, not by last name, so it's much faster that way. You'll then take a shuttle bus to the ship (only a few minutes' drive).

Don't cut it too close... hate to think of your family sailing away without you. Enjoy Explorer! She is magnificent. :)

I'm really just trying to get a sense of how long the drive is that time of day.

Any help is appreciated.

Assuming that the ship is sailing at 5 pm, I agree with megr1125 that you shouldn't leave midtown Manhattan much later than noon. The great unknown (until the day & hour you actually depart your office) is the possibility of heavy traffic (accidents, road work, etc) at one of the tunnels and/or the NJ Turnpike.

Once you get over to NJ (whether through the Lincoln Tunnel or the Holland Tunnel, depending on your driver's preference/ knowledge of tunnel traffic conditions), it probably won't take more than 1/2 hour to reach "Cape Liberty" (aka the cruise terminal at Bayonne, NJ)--unless there's a backup on the NJ Turnpike, always a possibility.

Regardless, as Langley Cruisers points out, you'll need to be at Cape Liberty an hour & a half before sailing time. So, to be safe, make sure your driver is at your office at least 3 hours before sailing time. (Personally, I'd make it 4 hours before sailing time.)

I know everyone has been discussing a car service to Cape Liberty, but have you considered public transportation? The Lexington Avenue subway is a quick ride to World Trade (or the shuttle to Times Square the 7th Ave subway to World Trade), then Path to the Journal Square Transportation Center, then a cab to Cape Liberty. This would bypass all the potential traffic bottlenecks in Manhattan, the tunnels, and the NJ turnpike.

Are you in a cabin alone? If not, I think everyone in the same cabin has to check into together, not sure maybe someone with experience on this can answer the question. My son cruises on a different company and he was meeting his cabin mate at the ship, andthy would nol let him check in until both parties were there

Not in a cabin alone. Was not aware that everyone has to check in together. Have checked in separately on multiple ocassions across multiple lines, but I will check just to be sure.

I'm aware of the public transport options, but given the number of connections to make, plus having to get a cab at the end anyway, its easier to be in the car, especially since I can finish up any last-minute business matters by cell/blackberry.

Thanks.

Archived