how formal is formal night?

beyoung

sorry again if this has been asked but the search is down. We will be on the summit in a few months and I was wondering how formal formal night is, can my guys get away with a tie and button down shirt/dress pants or do they have to bring suits?

sorry again if this has been asked but the search is down. We will be on the summit in a few months and I was wondering how formal formal night is, can my guys get away with a tie and button down shirt/dress pants or do they have to bring suits?

Celebrity requests the following on formal nights:

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

So a button down with a tie and jacket would be fine. I think the jacket will be required for formal night.

Hope this helps!

We've noticed more people dress formally on X than on other lines. My DH always wears a tux and fits in well. I'd say the vast majority of men are in a dark suit or tux.

If the men in your group don't want to bring suits, you can always eat in casual dining or room service. On our last Summit cruise we took this route on one of the formal nights.

You need to understand that there are two standards. First there is what is written by Celebrity on the web site and in the printed materials. Then there is what actually happens on the ships. Based on our last two Celebrity cruises we have come to the conclusion that even on formal nights you will not be turned away regardless of what you are wearing. We saw dockers and golf shirts on formal night allowed into the dining room.

Just returned from Infinity Panama Canal cruise, and on browsing the DR pictures from the formal nights, I would say that 1/3rd were in tuxes, virtually all of the rest in suit or jacket & tie, with a mere handful lacking either the tie, the jacket or both.

For whatever reason, my experience, and this is MY experience only, is that some staff on some ships seem to enforce the codes differently. I feel Infinity is one of the more lax in enforcement while Summit and Constellation tend to enforce more. I've personally, and I do mean personally, seen people turned away at the door on formal nights not dressed to code. One of those times was a rather large group who were wearing either jeans, dockers and t-shirts.

Question asked and answered. Vitriol has been removed and this thread is closed. (I keep wondering why the subject of dress codes on Celebrity seems to bring out the worst in people.)

Archived