Flights from Seward, AK

bay guy

Couldn't find this out on the AK section, which doesn't get much traffic, so I'll ask here. When your Alaska cruise starts or ends in Seward which airport do you fly into/out of? Depending on the airport, what's the earliest departure flight time to book?

On our Alaska cruise we flew into Anchorage and then it was a 3 hr. bus ride to Seward. We did stop about half way for a break at a wildlife park. We were able to take a look at some moose, bear, bison, buffalo and others and also were able to get something to eat, then on to Seward. Now going from Seward to Anchorage I don't know if they would stop or just drive straight through.

The airport you'll use is Anchorage (ANC). Most flights from Anchorage to the lower 48 leave late at night (so they can make connections to the East Coast), so you may want to plan to do some touring either in Seward before heading to Anchorage, or on the way to Anchorage.

Couldn't find this out on the AK section, which doesn't get much traffic, so I'll ask here. When your Alaska cruise starts or ends in Seward which airport do you fly into/out of? Depending on the airport, what's the earliest departure flight time to book?

Do ask on the Alaska board - it is actually quite active, and there are some people on that board who know Alaska well.

You will also get advice on how to get from Anchorage to Seward, etc. Seward is quite a way from Anchorage, and most people fly out of Anchorage in the evening of the day their cruise arrives in Seward.

The airport you'll use is Anchorage (ANC). Most flights from Anchorage to the lower 48 leave late at night (so they can make connections to the East Coast), so you may want to plan to do some touring either in Seward before heading to Anchorage, or on the way to Anchorage.

The drive to Seward is beautiful with many things to see. I second the motion to spend some time touring. You can rent a car one way and stop along the way to see things, or I believe you can take the train which is also a really nice ride.

Exit Glacier is fun. You can walk up almost to the edge of the glacier.

Our cruise left from Whittier, but we toured for a week before our cruise and spent some time in Seward. It was really nice. Our photos are at http://community.webshots.com/user/alwweb

See June 20-22.

On our Alaska cruise we flew into Anchorage and then it was a 3 hr. bus ride to Seward. We did stop about half way for a break at a wildlife park. We were able to take a look at some moose, bear, bison, buffalo and others and also were able to get something to eat, then on to Seward. Now going from Seward to Anchorage I don't know if they would stop or just drive straight through.

Did you see Russia? ;)

So nobody knew the answer to this on the AK board? Really? :confused::D:eek:

When we were there last year, we took the train from Seward to Anchorage. The train ride was 4 hours (nonstop) and dropped us off right at the airport (the station is connected to the airport). The train pulls right up to the ship so you just walk right onto it.

The train ride was beautiful. Very comfortable and they make a lot of announcements to tell you what's around. I think we were on scenery overload by then anyway though :D. I think it would be more dramatic to fly into Anchorage and take the train to the ship though.

When we were there last year, we took the train from Seward to Anchorage. The train ride was 4 hours (nonstop) and dropped us off right at the airport (the station is connected to the airport). The train pulls right up to the ship so you just walk right onto it.

The train ride was beautiful. Very comfortable and they make a lot of announcements to tell you what's around. I think we were on scenery overload by then anyway though :D. I think it would be more dramatic to fly into Anchorage and take the train to the ship though.

We flew into Anchorage and took the train to Seward. We arrived in Anchorage late the night before the cruise. We stayed in a lovely hotel (I can't remember the name) that is maybe a block from the train station. We had to be at the train station by 6:00AM, if I remember correctly, so needless to say, we were at the ship pier well before our cruise departure time. But, for cruise passengers, the train company secured the luggage at the train station and delivered it directly to the ship. RCCL had private cars for those who purchased transfers through the cruiseline, or the train fare could be purchased independently, which is what we did. The train company will deliver baggage to the ship for any cruise guest, regardless if they purchased a ground transfer or not. In fact, we purchased our hotel, train fare, and whale watching tour as a package. We had a great day in Seward.

Depening on the airline you are willing to fly there are several flights that leave during the morning thru mid-day as well. Of course my flights home have been after visiting relatives up there instead of at the end of a cuirse...if not stating in Anchorage, I agree you have to wait for evening to fly...but its such a nice place to spend a day or two...then fly home.

Of course year round we have either a non-stop or a one stop same plane flight from ANC-IAH so we would usually be on that flight unless the price is way out of line.

Wife & I did the southbound 2 months ago. The train from Anchorage to Seward was well worth the time. We had perfect weather. We plan on doing the SB again, but will go a couple days early and spend it in Seward.

Hopefully next time we won't get stuck in Vancouver for 4 1/2 days because of a hurricane!

Did you see Russia?
From his house.
Oh, you are sooooo mean!

I have made a mental note to NOT wear any shirts bearing my company's logo on my cruise to Alaska. The logo is a large antlered deer. I have nightmares about a plane flying overhead, gunshots hitting the ground around me as I sprint for cover.... :eek: :D

I have made a mental note to NOT wear any shirts bearing my company's logo on my cruise to Alaska. The logo is a large antlered deer. I have nightmares about a plane flying overhead, gunshots hitting the ground around me as I sprint for cover.... :eek: :D

That would be the helicopter deer hunting excursion. LMAO. :p;)

Archived