Live from the Maasdam - Nov 7 to 21, 2008 - Southern Caribbean

GmaPajama

I'm confused about the cabin categories. Ruth mentioned categories SA and SB. Are those veranda suite categories A and B?

No, they aren't. The different classes of ships have a different system for identifying cabin categories.

On the S- and R-classes the suites are S-category, and the balcony cabins are A and B (AA, BB, etc). Those are also referred to as mini-suites.

On the Vistas and the E-dam, the S-category suites are further subdivided into SA, SB, and SC. The mini-suite equavalents are the "V-"category series (VA, VB, VC, etc). There's also an additional grouping of cabins inbetween those two---the "SS" series (SS, SY, SZ). These don't qualify as full suites, but do have a few of the perks.

November 19, 2008

At Sea

Oh how we love our sea days. There’s something so special about lazing around on the ship all day. Time to read, time to visit, time to just sit and watch the sea.

In response to kuddles 2008's observation about my meat loaf dinner - please be assured the menus are anything BUT ordinary. Every dinner is a culinary delight, with many, many choices. I simply felt like eating a more familiar meal that night, and it was delicious. Other entree choices that night included Mushroom Tortellini with Sauteed Spinach, Chicken Breast with Prosciutto, Motzarella and Basil Leaves, Veal Medallions with Bourbon Green Pepper Sauce, Seared Basa Fillet with Caribbean Vegetable Salsa, Blackened Chicken Ceasar, and Vegetarian Chimichanga. And that is in addition to the always available Salmon, Chicken Breast or Steak.

Today was final formal night, and the Good Nuts were out. The Ocean Bar was taken over by Park West this afternoon, but it’s the only time they were really “in the way”. Pretty good for a 14 day cruise. We attended the Sea Quest game this morning, and it was hysterical. A scavenger hunt of sorts, with people in the audience needing to come up with specific items.

There was a Black and White Ball in the Crow’s Nest at 10:00pm. We watched staff hanging balloons for it and considered attending, even though we don’t dance. As it turned out, we had 12 foot seas and it was all I could do to get back to the cabin. I plopped myself right into bed and prayed I’d fall asleep before I tossed my cookies - which I did (sleep, that is). Jon says the seas eased up around midnight.

Oh, the Sea Quest! That's such fun! :D It used to be pretty standard on every cruise, but I haven't seen it in I don't know how long! What a memory to bring a smile to your face.

Guess your cruise is winding down. :( But your reports have been so good. :) Thanks for taking us all along for the ride.

I don't remember the Sea Quest being mentioned a couple weeks ago on our cruise. But I could have missed it.

I also ordered meatloaf one night. Yummo! At our house we just use ground beef in the meatloaf. Maasdam's sure is good (I think they use veal).

Thanks for your review. Sure miss being onboard this week. Deb C.

Thanks for the wonderful review. We are looking forward to our 15 day repositioning cruise on the Maasdam next May. I had the veal meatloaf on the Noordam a few weeks ago and it was wonderful. Also it was the first time I had liver and onions in a tux on a formal night and for those who love liver and onions it was fantastic.

Well, here we are - home in ever-so-cold Illinois. Yesterday was our day at Half Moon Cay, and it was fabulous. The air was just over 75 degrees, but the water was close to 80. A lazy day in the sunshine was exactly what we needed, and we were sorry to see it end. The Zuiderdam was there with us and there were some organized competitive games between the two ships. Tug of war type things. We were too far down the beach to see the action, but we heard folks laughing about what fun it was. We ate so much on the island that we didn't eat again till breakfast. As always, leaving the ship is sad - saying farewell to all our favorite crew members is difficult. Even moreso on the Maasdam because we really connected with a number of them.

So, this cruise is now a memory. One of our most precious. Thanks for riding along!

thanks for taking us along! we are doing that cruise soon ...but I did notice one itenerary change we are not going to Tortola we are doing St. Croix...but I can hardly wait. sounds like you had a wonderful time...sadly though I must agree the return hom eto nasty weather never is fun.

Thank you Gmapj's: I really enjoyed your reviews as we are going on that itinerary also. I'm sitting looking out the window at a foot of SNOW practically which has fallen in the last few days. It is very pretty though as it is sticking to the trees like icing sugar. But I'd rather be sitting under a palm tree :)

Archived