Likely to be last-minute Xmas deals?

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but with so many discussions of price, it's difficult to search for it correctly. Sorry if this is a rehash:

With the kids in school, we can only go Christmas, Spring Break or summer. We'd like to go Christmas, and are wondering if prices are likely to drop further. I would assume the bad economy has to be hitting the cruise lines.

Is there general timeline for when cruise lines offer their "last minute" deals? I know I look at last-minute non-holiday deals and keep seeing things drop the closer we get. Is it likely that better deals will come through on cruises like NCL 12/21 out of New Orleans, or RCCL 12/21 out of Galveston?

supply and demand - demand is high when kids are out of school

it you opt to go with RCCL - they honor price drops right up to sailing as long as they aren't restricted to 'new bookings only' - don't know if NCL does that.

Look at the sailing - see if it's selling well - probably is - mine in early January is not selling well so we've gotten resident specials and discounts - so far equal $380 per couple. I use *****.com to get an idea of how many cabins are left - gives more than RCCL's site.

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but with so many discussions of price, it's difficult to search for it correctly. Sorry if this is a rehash:

With the kids in school, we can only go Christmas, Spring Break or summer. We'd like to go Christmas, and are wondering if prices are likely to drop further. I would assume the bad economy has to be hitting the cruise lines.

Is there general timeline for when cruise lines offer their "last minute" deals? I know I look at last-minute non-holiday deals and keep seeing things drop the closer we get. Is it likely that better deals will come through on cruises like NCL 12/21 out of New Orleans, or RCCL 12/21 out of Galveston?

There is a chance of a price drop. My Thanksgiving cruise had a nice

price drop two days ago. This is pretty rare for a holiday cruise.

A JS is going for $1199/person right now and an inside guarantee for

$499/person. That is crazy.

You may also want to reconsider the restrictions (Christmas, spring break, and summer) you've placed on your travel. We have school-age children and took them on a cruise in October 2008 (they missed 5 days of school) and had no problems. Our children studied on the ship for a while each day and easily kept up with homework.

We're taking them on another cruise in November 2009 the week before Thanksgiving (they'll miss 5 days of school again). The same cruise during the following week is about $800 more for four people.

If you go during the school year there are fewer children on the ship and the prices are generally lower (prices are driven by supply and demand, as you'll often see stated on these boards).

This is just a suggestion - your situation might not allow taking the children out of school for a week.

If you have to fly, the cost of last minute flights will be super high and you'll lose any saving you presumed from the cruise. now if you can drive to the port, the savings you might get are worth it. Of course you have very little to choose from as far as room location or dining times etc.

You may also want to reconsider the restrictions (Christmas, spring break, and summer) you've placed on your travel. We have school-age children and took them on a cruise in October 2008 (they missed 5 days of school) and had no problems. Our children studied on the ship for a while each day and easily kept up with homework.

We're taking them on another cruise in November 2009 the week before Thanksgiving (they'll miss 5 days of school again). The same cruise during the following week is about $800 more for four people.

If you go during the school year there are fewer children on the ship and the prices are generally lower (prices are driven by supply and demand, as you'll often see stated on these boards).

This is just a suggestion - your situation might not allow taking the children out of school for a week.

Wondering how old your children are. Although many parents feel this is not a problem, most teachers don't agree with this. Even though the children do the work the teachers prepare for them they still miss so much.

We are restricted to these times. DH is a teacher and I work in the school.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies. We watched for a while, waited to see if anything we wanted was on any of the "Black Friday" sales, and then booked yesterday. I think prices actually went up a few bucks from when we started watching, but nothing dramatic.

A lot of the 7-day cruises we wanted to do were going to just be too expensive over Christmas, so we ended up on the Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans for the cruise over Christmas.

If you ask the teacher several weeks ahead they are usually willing to do an independent study packet like they would for very sick or injured students. As long as you turn the work in at the end, your child shouldn't be penalized for the absence AND the school gets their ADA for the child from the government. THAT is really the big issue--the $$$

I was watching prices on several longer Christmas cruises. I started in August and kept looking every other week or so. In 9 out of 10 cases, the prices came down after the final payment date. The only cruise that did not come down in price was the Emerald Princess. Apparently that one was selling well enough that Princess did not have to lower the prices.

The cruises I was watching included ones on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Holland America, in addition to Princess.

If you ask the teacher several weeks ahead they are usually willing to do an independent study packet like they would for very sick or injured students. As long as you turn the work in at the end, your child shouldn't be penalized for the absence AND the school gets their ADA for the child from the government. THAT is really the big issue--the $$$

Ask any teacher and they will tell you that even with the take home work, kids really do miss so much more. There is so much more to education than doing the assignments. I'm married to one and most of our friends are teachers. Working at a private school, this happens so often. The kids are the ones that suffer.

I don't know what grade your kids are in, but my husband is a grade 4/5 teacher and parents will often take their child out for a week of travel.

His opinion is that they will still be "learning" just perhaps not the same thing as the other kids. If your kids are not having huge struggles in school, they will be able to easily make up one week's worth of work.

We're stuck to the same schedule as you are but we can't alter ours. We still find pretty good deals and in fact for our next March break Carnival is offering a past guest rate that works out to $100 per day for cruising (OV room). Not too shabby I think.

I don't know what grade your kids are in, but my husband is a grade 4/5 teacher and parents will often take their child out for a week of travel.

His opinion is that they will still be "learning" just perhaps not the same thing as the other kids. If your kids are not having huge struggles in school, they will be able to easily make up one week's worth of work.

We're stuck to the same schedule as you are but we can't alter ours. We still find pretty good deals and in fact for our next March break Carnival is offering a past guest rate that works out to $100 per day for cruising (OV room). Not too shabby I think.

I agree. I also agree they can learn from traveling. We travel and camp all over the country in the summers. The kids learned so much. This summer was Two weeks in the National Parks down south and two weeks touring Civil War Battlefields. I haven't done any cruises yet that are educational, but plan on taking the grand kids to Alaska.

II haven't done any cruises yet that are educational, but plan on taking the grand kids to Alaska.

What about a Panama cruise? Seeing the canal and interacting with the locals would be an education. Also the ruins in Tulum in Mexico and what about the forts in San Juan? Swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman would be a great experience for them too. Also taking an Eco Tour in Antigua would really be interesting.

I totally agree that Alaska would be superb for the kids. I can't wait to go next summer and I truly believe it's going to be something that we'll never forget.

What about a Panama cruise? Seeing the canal and interacting with the locals would be an education. Also the ruins in Tulum in Mexico and what about the forts in San Juan? Swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman would be a great experience for them too. Also taking an Eco Tour in Antigua would really be interesting.

I totally agree that Alaska would be superb for the kids. I can't wait to go next summer and I truly believe it's going to be something that we'll never forget.

We are booked to do the Panama Canal in March, but unfortunately we're going to have to cancel it. We're going to do the Caribbean again. Forgot about the forts in San Juan. Did learn a lot there.

Alaska trip will be the trip of a life time.

Archived