Sorry, strange question about stingray city...

lovesublime

We're thinking of doing an excursion there in a couple of weeks. We were just looking at some pictures of the area and saw some eels. Does anyone know if eels are swimming around with the stingrays? If so, we'll not do the tour. Those things are just too creepy for me. Thanks!

I was three about 3 years ago and we saw no eels at all. just plenty of sting rays. Beware though they are very friendly and gentle but they will rub up on your legs and across your feet. It was scary at first cuz they are HUGE but in the end it was great. I am hoping to go back this winter and do it again.

The eels are resident in various coral heads near to the Stingray sandbar. They generally do not venture out to the sandbar itself.

Oh no! If I saw one, I would begin screaming and flailing around. My husband would be embarrassed by my behavior. The stingrays won't bother me, I don't think. I've petted and fed them in a tank and they seem quite nice.

How sad that you would skip that excursion because of an eel that isn't there. This is one of the most awesome excursions I've ever done. We are going back in April and I can't wait to do it again. It was a little strange at first because the stingrays like to rub up against your legs but at the same time.....how cool is that!!!!! At first I couldn't climb high enough on my husband....they kind of creeped me out. But after a little bit I loved it! Even got to hold one and feed it!

You can run into eels on any coral reef. I came face to face with one whose head was the size of my fist while snorkeling in Jamaica. He popped out of the rocks with his teeth showing. :eek: My husband says he heard a loud underwater scream and saw me fly past him. Says I was runnin on top of the water!!! Scared the heck out of me.

You really should reconsider. You will love it.

I agree that you should not skip this adventure because of an eel. Yes, there are eels in the ocean. They are generally hidden in holes and crevices of reefs and rocks. So, you're not going into the ocean at all on your cruise? Stingray city is a sandbar and in the 4 times I've been there, I've see ZERO eels there. Not even any fish, really. Just the stingrays. If you snorkel out at the reef, I've seen the same eel there 3 of the 4 times, in the same spot, just hanging out. Not attacking anyone, not even swimming, just poking his head in and out of a hole.

It's like saying you'll skip going to the top of the Eiffel Tower because there's a "chance" you might fall off. You won't cross the Golden Gate bridge because there's a "chance" it may collapse into the water. See where I'm coming from. There is such a slight chance of it happening that skipping it would be a shame.

We were there about a week and a half ago. Never saw an eel. Had a good time. Wonder what other excursion is offered that would be near as fun. Next time I want to try something different, but don't know what.

I think you should go and "encounter" the rays. When else would you have that opportunity? I love to try new adventures.

We ziplined in Jamaica, swam with sting rays in Grand Cayman, and parasailed in Cozumel. What a trip! Had so much fun, it's sad to be back home- LOL

Thinking where we can go next, what new adventure to discover.....

We're thinking of doing an excursion there in a couple of weeks. We were just looking at some pictures of the area and saw some eels. Does anyone know if eels are swimming around with the stingrays? If so, we'll not do the tour. Those things are just too creepy for me. Thanks!

Just off the Legend a week or so ago - We saw eels! There were two of them and they were playing! Pretty cool. We saw them out snorkeling - not at Stingray City. Eels will stick to where there is somewhere to hide if they need to. Funny - screaming through my snorkel was not very effective, but they were quite a ways down towards the bottom - a considerable distance from me. And once you get over the YUK factor, they are quite beautiful and graceful! AND BIG!! These were GREEN!! Wish I'd have gotten a picture.

PS - The weather was crappy - it was raining and there were good sized waves...some say they are more active when it's cloudy - How accurate that is I dont know.

ditto, ditto, ditto....

Do the 'rays, man. Best thing about the Caymans. Gentle, inquisitive, soft as velvet. Just be careful not to step on them (shuffle, don't step) and you'll have a great time meeting nature face to face. Make sure you have enough squid for snacks.

No eels were at the sandbar, so no worries there.

Have fun, and don't worry so much.

We went ahead and booked the stingray excursion last night. DH wanted to do it so badly. I'm praying I don't see an eel. If I do, I'll be back here to let everyone know about it. That is, after I recover from the heart attack:eek:!! Sorry to sound so wimpy, but we had a bad eel incident years ago and I guess I'm traumatized for life LOL!

Just got back on Nov. 15th. Swimming with the rays was NOT as "awesome" as I was hoping for it to be. The water was SO dirty because of the hurricane. There were several boats with several people there at the same time we were so we were all basically "fighting" for a sting ray. They do swim around you, and on you. You do get to hold and touch one. I did NOT see an eel and I'm sad that I didn't. I love seeing and interacting with weird stuff. I think everything will be fine. Just keep praying for "no eels" and you will be good.

sube - These rays are very accustomed to interacting with people, they are encountered by literally thousands every week. They get fed for doing so and therefore tolerate it well. They are not penned, they come to the sandbar willingly. The rays do have a barb (stinger) on their tails up somehwhat near to their body, but only sting as a defense, not just for the heck of it (unlike jellyfish and bees). Visitors are instructed on how to handle and interact safely with the creatures. Being in the water with them is a bit strange at first, but you get used to them after only a few moments. It's a great time, touching and feeding them. So unique.

I thank everyone for the replies. We've decided to skip this excursion. I wouldn't do well upon seeing an eel. I sure as heck don't want to french kiss one either:p

There are probably also snakes on most of the places that you are thinking of visiting. Since I assume that you are also scared of them, perhaps you should stay on the ship for the entire cruise, even though you are as likely to see a snake as you are to see an eel.

DON

I don't recall seeing any snakes, or eels on our trip.

I guess I'm just a little bit surprised you NEVER hear of any accidents with the rays. My fear was that the waves would pick me up (a little rough wave action) and then I'd LAND on the tail of a ray. But nope, it didn't happen. I think they get out of your way pretty quickly. I couldn't ever "catch" one when I tried. And it felt very strange when they decided to come so close (looking for food most probably). These seem to be pretty "domesticated", as much as a sting ray could be I guess.

I'm glad we went, don't know when we may ever have another opportunity for something like that again, even though I felt mildly disappointed in the whole thing. But I'd definitely recommend it as a must do in G C. From now on, I think I prefer to swim with dolphins, though. Does G C offer that at all?

I suppose part of my disappointment stems from the crowd. Going through a private tour would be better. We always go through the ship's excursions. Just a bit chicken, and lazy, to plan our own.

Desiree D - It's a WAY better experience with a private tour.

Anyone considering doing this, make a reservation with one of the private tour companies that others recommend here on this board. There are several and you really cant go wrong with any of them. It's cheaper and there are far less people to deal with and share the rays with.

Archived