P&O may call at Christmas and Norfolk Islands!!

gizzigoo

Norfolk and Christmas Islands on P&O agenda

Monday, 10 November 2008 source travel blackboard

84423.jpg P&O Australia is celebrating the first birthday of the Pacific Dawn, and alongside the anniversary tidings comes the announcement that the news that the company is eyeing trips to Norfolk Island and Christmas Island.

Additionally, P&O celebrated the accumulating of some $60,000 in donations from cruise passengers for Pacific Dawn Godmother Cathy Freeman’s charity, the Catherine Freeman Foundation.

“What we do is similar to what they do on planes, and we have envelopes that you can put spare change in. And now we will have collection boxes on all our ships,” says Ann Sherry, Carnival Australia CEO.

At the birthday luncheon celebrations, Ms Sherry also revealed that P&O was eyeing new ports around the Pacific Ocean.

84423a.jpg

Cathy-and-Ann

“We’ve got an agreement now with Norfolk Island that will allow us to start taking ships to Norfolk Island. They haven’t had ships call by there of this scale for a couple hundred years – and even then they wouldn’t be quite of this scale,” says Ms Sherry.

“We’re probably going to completely transform the tourism of Norfolk Island as we arrive there with ships.”

Now that Norfolk Island looks set in stone, P&O has already started tackling a possible entrance into Christmas Island.

“We’ve also been talking to Christmas Island as well, about taking ships from Freemantle up to Christmas Island. Though we’ve got a little more work to do there,” remarks Ms Sherry.

84423b.jpg

Cutting-the-cake

“Christmas Island is one of those destinations where we’ve heard a lot about in the last few years... but it’s one of those places where most of us have only seen from those nature programs with those millions of red crabs.”

Pacific Jewel is now set for a late 2009 launch out of Brisbane and another, as of yet unnamed vessel, to join the rest of the Australian fleet come 2010.

84423c.jpg

P&O

I am so keen on Norfolk Island. That would be excellent.

Oh Jen settle down lol. But i am with you Norfolk or Christmas Island would be nice. Something to look forward to in the future. But hey i see 3 countdown on that page already hehehehehe :D

Oh Jen settle down lol. But i am with you Norfolk or Christmas Island would be nice. Something to look forward to in the future. But hey i see 3 countdown on that page already hehehehehe :D

Yes, three countdowns in my signature. How greedy. :p And then to come on here and be keen about Norfolk Island. That's just terrible. :D

In order for a genuine drunken mutiny, I hope they will do the Pitcairns as well. :D (I have got a family history back to the Bounty)

I hope that Cathy is not cutting up Matt's model.

We have friends who also go back to the Bounty, their family live on Norfolk. Love that Bounty history!!

Too many options !!! I cant make my mind up ..

I was all set on the pacific sunsets in OCT next year then I heard about the new ships coming over now P & O have pulled Norfolk Island out of their hat ..

How am I going to decide where to go next ...

anyone have a crystal ball ??:D

Is it Lord Howe or Norfolk Island that restricts the number of vistors on the Island at one time?:confused: Or is it both?

Lord Howe could be another option as well. Spend a day exploring the island by bike or swimming.

Norfolk Island hasn't had much luck with the tourists, with Norfolk Air going bust.

Think of the Duty Free shopping as well.;):p

Is it Lord Howe or Norfolk Island that restricts the number of vistors on the Island at one time?:confused: Or is it both?

Lord Howe could be another option as well. Spend a day exploring the island by bike or swimming.

Norfolk Island hasn't had much luck with the tourists, with Norfolk Air going bust.

Think of the Duty Free shopping as well.;):p

I think they both do Jarrod - but there's a tighter limit on Lord Howe.

I would love to do a cruise that went to Norfolk Island. I had a friend go there for 5 days, a couple of years ago and she said it was 4 days too long. I am guessing that a 1 day visit would be great.:D

I have an aunt who has been there 7 times in the last 5 years and wants to spend 3 months there next time.:eek:

A very good friend of mine lived on Norfolk Island for 2 years back in the 80's. We worked together in the bank at the time & she applied for a transfer. Before she left I told her I would be over to visit at some stage but not long after she left I met my DH and .....well, things changed:). I wish I had gone over their but never mind:(.

You'd have to be hard to please if bored on Norfolk after 4 days :rolleyes: I spent 2 weeks there many years ago and loved every minute.

Hope the Wharf area has been improved as was scary watching the fishing boats unload.....open sea with huge swells except for the great lagoon for swimming. Lots of SHARKS too :eek:

I'd definitely be a starter for a cruise :p

B E V

We had a week on pensioner, oops i mean Norfolk Island. We were some of the youngest tourists in our 40's at the time. We loved it.

If you enjoy natural beauty, photography, fishing, surfing, snorkelling and some good history as well, you will love this place. Ladies good shoe shopping here, my wife bought 8 pairs of italian shoes at unbelievable prices!

If you read that again Bev, you'll see that Marg's friend was actually board after ONE day.

And had no intention of enjoying the next 4 days. Maybe she had "jet lag" day ONE :rolleyes: :p

Wonder if she has ever had fun on any holiday :confused:

B E V

You'd have to be hard to please if bored on Norfolk after 4 days :rolleyes: I spent 2 weeks there many years ago and loved every minute.

Hope the Wharf area has been improved as was scary watching the fishing boats unload.....open sea with huge swells except for the great lagoon for swimming. Lots of SHARKS too :eek:

I'd definitely be a starter for a cruise :p

B E V

Just like all things you cannot please all the people all of the time....

My friend thought it was too slow paced and that there was no night life. She did however love the island itself, the sceanery etc, but felt that after the 5 days she was happy to go home and said she would not plan to go back again.:confused:

I have heard comments from both sides of the coin and I think that from a cruising point of view 1 day in port would give you enough time to decide if you would want to go back for a longer time.:o

I would be more than happy to do a cruise that called in to Norfolk Island.:)

Archived