DIY Land Tour - what not to miss?

calmac

We are a family of 3 - me and DH in our late 40s and DS (13).

We are flying to/from Seattle from the UK and would like to do a land tour prior to our cruise of 7 or 8 days. This will be at the start of August 2009. We can fly to/from Anchorage or Fairbanks. We are planning to pick up a rental car at the airport.

Although accommodation is $$$ we think we would be a lot cheaper and have more flexibility doing our own tour rather than joining an organised one but can be convinced otherwise.

What we have thought about so far:-

Stay in Anchorage but not too sure what to see in and around the city.

Travel to Talkeetna and take a flightseeing trip to Mt McKinley (hoping the weather is OK).

Travel to Denali and take the Tundra Wilderness Tour - any others recommended?

What is there to see in and around Fairbanks?

The Denali Highway sounds interesting but I think rental companies don't allow you to travel along it as it's mainly a gravel road.

If we don't go as far north as Fairbanks we would double back to Anchorage as there are no alternative routes as far as I can tell.

One option is to travel by car from Anchorage to Fairbanks then do the return trip by train. Would this be a sensible choice?

Are there any things which are a MUST DO?

Are there any things which we should AVOID?

Any suggestions on places to stay and eat would also be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help.

Some suggestions, you have a nice block of time. Determine IF Fairbanks is of interest to you??? For some, other areas are better. In my opinion you need 2 nights here, if going.

I would suggest flying in/out of Anchorage, more central for most areas. One way car rental costs Fairbanks/Anchorage is considerable and limited. And actually, the trip is DIFFERENT in each direction, different views and plenty to see and do along the way.

As a suggestion- you might want to consider Anchorage, Talkeetna, and 2 nights in Denali Park. I do not recommend the Tundra Wildereness tour for independent travelers. Taking advantage of the 1/3 priced shuttle bus and getting Farther into the park is key for more wildlife and scenery. My min. recommended distance in is Eielson via shuttle bus.

Then head south for the Kenai Peninsula looking at Homer and Seward. Fantastic locations with plenty to see and do.

Head to your library and see if you can get Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska. Request visitor guides of the suggested cities and determine what is your priority for traveling.

A RV can be a great mode of touring, to also consider, very common in Alaska.

I concur with BQ, post cruise we spend a day in Seward and overnight in ANC. Then we spent 2 days in Denali, then another night in ANC before flying home. Definitely book your Takeetna flightseeing on your way up to Denali; if they have to weather cancel you have another chance on the way back.

There are many B&B's in ANC and Healy (near Denali) that will save a lot of money. Probably will be cheaper than an RV but definitely investigate it. On the ANC/Denali/ANC trip we put 650 miles on the rental car so fuel will start to add up with an RV although it will be a bargain compared to UK fuel prices!

Like any other city, consider picking up your car downtown instead of the airport. We rented from Avis using a discount code that was not available at the airport location and saved about $250. The airport is 20 minutes / 5 miles from downtown. Check different rental companies and options.

There's many different things to do depending on your interests and activity level. My 15yo son had a great time. I was concerned the all-day Denali shuttle bus trip would be too much but it was over too soon. Your son may enjoy the Park Service sled dog kennel tour at 4pm.

This has been discussed lots before, but the search is down so this one is for Budget Queen, Yukon, or others that are in the know about my question.

We have been to Alaska twice before, cruise both times, along with a land tour.

Next year we are doing land tour only and will spend more time in Denali and other places that were missed before.

I`m wondering about the bugs in the park, when will they be gone?

I dislike bugs and just do not want to be bothered with them.

This has been discussed lots before, but the search is down so this one is for Budget Queen, Yukon, or others that are in the know about my question.

We have been to Alaska twice before, cruise both times, along with a land tour.

Next year we are doing land tour only and will spend more time in Denali and other places that were missed before.

I`m wondering about the bugs in the park, when will they be gone?

I dislike bugs and just do not want to be bothered with them.

I don't go to Wonder Lake before mid August. To Eielson before then, is usually OK. Pick up some bug dope.

Calmac,

in the toursaver book there is a coupon for a discount of RV rental....I think it is rent for 3 days & get three days rental free (hence half price). Check it out if u r considering the RV option.

brian

Archived