Whale watching and sea sicknes

lhargrove62

Hello my dh and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary in Alaska in May 09. I really want to go whale watching but I am concerned about my dh's sea sickness on small boats. Would you suggest booking with NCL and the larger boat instead of going with Harv and Marv and their smaller boats? I would really prefer the smaller boat, but I don't want to make my dh miserable. :confused: Please help me with your expertise!!!!

You have posed a very difficult question. While in the normal course of events the larger the vessel the less chance for sea sickness...but regretably this is not true in all cases. I hate to be mean spirited but frankly if my DW suffered from sea sickness the last thing that I woud want to do is take her on a whale watching excursion.

My comment is about the sea-sickness part.

Have you tried Sea-Bands yet?

My wife suffered from it on our first cruise, but upon

putting on sea-bands the naussea / sea-sickness

went away.

Now we pack them whenever she is on the water.

Maybe they don't work for everyone but it sure worked

for her. :)

(and no side effects like you get with medicine)

Hello my dh and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary in Alaska in May 09. I really want to go whale watching but I am concerned about my dh's sea sickness on small boats. Would you suggest booking with NCL and the larger boat instead of going with Harv and Marv and their smaller boats? I would really prefer the smaller boat, but I don't want to make my dh miserable. :confused: Please help me with your expertise!!!!

My experience:

I am the poster child for getting seasick, just the sight and sound of the swells work me up:(. We booked Harv and Marv in May of 2007( IMHO the best! I would avoid the big boat crowd) and I was a little apprehensive due to the smaller craft just like you are right now. The results? Just a perfect trip with lots of wildlife to view;) Never felt a twinge of nausea whatsoever. Perfectly smooth with only the occasional wake turbulence from larger vessels passing by, book it:) If you're still worried, have him pop Bonine the night before for some added insurance. I really don't think it'll be necessary at all, have a great trip!

You are asking a question that can not be answered. Best would be for precautions to get serious consideration. There are many to choose from, consult your health care professional.

It will make NO difference what kind of boat you are looking at, you are on water, all boats would have the motion sickness potential and no way to predict.

AND before others get on and say how smooth the water was...it can get water caps and it can get rough.

we had a small storm blow through...the little bit of wind was enough to give auke bay white caps and small swells. lucky, no one on our ship got sea sick...but we were bouncing around a little.

Thank you to everyone. He really wants to go whale watching and will use the wrist band. I was just hoping to chose the best option for him.

Thanks again.

Has he already used the wrist band?? This is not a given for prevention. In the medical field, it can be listed as a placebo. :) I suggest you try it out before considering a 3++ hour whale watch, that time will stand still and no way out. A friend did a test run with sitting in the back of a car, reading, looking through binoculars, having someone driving a rolling curvy road.

Talk to H&M when you book the reservation and discuss your concern. I'm sure they have plenty of experience and suggestions. Besides wanting everyone to have a great time, it's in their best interest to prevent seasickness on their boats.

Although there is no guarantee of conditions, a smaller boat may be better. The motion tends to be choppy and rough rather than slow rocking and rolling....the latter is what affects friends I know who get severly seasick.

Archived