Misty Fjords Floatplane or Helicopter Glacier Landing?

clleste

They are vastly different. But I do give an edge to a helicopter glacier landing. I have flown with 3 companies, and my preference is Coastal out of Juneau. I have also flown Misty Fjords many times. I equally recommend Island Wings and Southeast Aviation. Top operators.

They both are excellent tours, and I do definately recommend both. Perhaps, you can cut back and do them both? If family asks what you want for Christmas, suggest a tour fund, skip birthday gifts and pay yourself savings from eating out less. No flames please, these are only general suggestions.

Thank you Budget Queen :). I had chosen Misty Fjords with very little consideration given to the heli glacier landing, but after seeing heli reviews, I began to rethink. Not sure what we'll do now :(. This will be our first trip to AK in 2009, but we may have to save one of the tours for the next trip (which I'm already looking forward to). Having booked Kenai Fjords, Misty Fjords, and White Pass, along with having Anchorage and Vancouver city touring expenses, we're pretty much at our budget. So for us, it will probably be one or the other. Decisions, decisions, decisions, oh my!

It's difficult to choose I agree. Both are wonderful if you hit a good day.

But...to be technical here...the spelling is fiords...Misty Fiords National Monument.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/forest_facts/resources/wilderness/misty.shtml

Picky...picky. Obviously, it's time for a little TGIF for this poster. ;)

Have a wonderful time in Alaska!!!

P.S. - To add to the dilemma. You might consider a floatplane trip to watch bears during the salmon run. I don't know what time of year you're going...but it's another option.

But...to be technical here...the spelling is fiords...Misty Fiords National Monument.

i gave up on this long ago after getting a smack down. so now i just sit in the corner and cringe when someone misspells. but i also cringe when someone says leconte w/ three syllables.

but...............back to the topic. i'm not sure which order you are traveling, but it would be a shame to pass on the first adventure and then get weathered out on the second.

October rains come close

to all time record

Petersburg faced one of the rainiest Octobers in history as the National Weather Service reported rainfall every single day last month. There is one day of missing data, but otherwise the clouds above Petersburg drizzled an average of 0.81 inches of rain per day. In total, the city recorded 23.22 inches for the entire month. That puts it fifth on the list for wettest Octobers, missing 1961’s 26.87 inch benchmark by over three inches.

but...............back to the topic. i'm not sure which order you are traveling, but it would be a shame to pass on the first adventure and then get weathered out on the second.

This is a good observation. If the weather is cooperating...take advantage of it. But...it seems everyone has to book their excursions well in advance...who knows what it will be like on a particular day...months in advance. One thing Alaska has is WEATHER. I saw more weather in two weeks up in Alaska than I've seen in two decades in San Diego. And that is almost not an exaggeration...especially last summer.

As an aside...for those of you who are curious about the benefits of a small ship. One thing I found was that you could book any of their excursions up to the night before...which was very beneficial both "weather-wise" and "what do I feel like doing tomorrow". There are only a half-dozen or so excursions to select from rather than the multitude I imagine you have on large ships. But...it was enough of a selection for us.

To go further afield. If you've already experienced the large ship (or small ship) experience in the major ports and yearn to return to Alaska...I would think about a small ship experience that bypasses most, if not all, the larger ports in Southeast Alaska and spends more time in the wilderness. We sailed on Cruise West and did their basic "first-time" Inside Passage itinerary. I wanted to experience the culture and history of Alaska as well as the flora and fauna during our first visit. Plus...I thought we might be a pair of "light-weights".

Cruise West has learned that once their guests visit Southeast Alaska...many wish to return. So they created a "Whales and Wilderness" itinerary which only "hits" Juneau and a small village with like...80 residents. They spend their time zipping about in Zodiacs and tromping around the rain forest, etc, etc. Lindblad also has a wonderful wilderness experience. Their ports at this time are Sitka and Petersburg. If I were to return...this type of cruise experience in Southeast Alaska would be my choice.

So...back to the topic at hand. Either excursion would be wonderful...BUT...if it's a bad day weather-wise...it could be a bust.

I did both excursions and am glad I did both, but if I only got to do one, it would be the glacier landing, just because how often do you get to walk on a glacier?

I did it through the cruiseline because it was my first cruise and I was travelling alone and just liked the comfort of knowing I didn't have to worry about anything. ERA was the company, and they had us switch seats after the landing so that everyone got a chance to be by a window. Although, going to the glacier I was in the middle and I saw a lot, the people next to me were very good about not blocking the view.

I did the four glaciers and a landing, and the pilot was great at pointing things out. We had an unbelievably beautiful day.

Archived