Round-trip Northbound/Southbound Combined Cruises

cruiseguy2

Hello there,

Been awhile since I've been on the forums, took a Celebrity cruise to Alaska in 2005 and LOVED IT! You all were of great help with planning it and choosing a line, so I come back for additional help.

Looking to take another Alaskan cruise come June/July '09 and the rates on a few seem VERY GOOD (probably due to the state of the economy).

Last cruise was round-trip from Seattle, only visiting as far up as the Hubbard Glacier and Juneau. There wasn't enough time (7 days) to enjoy everything there was to! So, I was cruising (:rolleyes:) around the web and found a Holland America cruise that is on sale for June 2009 that leaves from Vancover, British Columbia and ending in Seward, Alaska. Immediately after arriving, the ship goes southbound on a reverse iternary during the next week.

My question is, how does a normal booking go with doing round-trip, side-by-side cruises? Do I have to disembark/embark again at Seward for the return trip? Is this normally done by people.

For those that are wondering, it is on the Ryndam leaving from Vancover on June 19th and leaving Seward back on June 26th (2009).

Thanks in advance!!! (I also posted this in the Holland America section/board)

Yes, this is a great touring choice, referred to as back to back cruising. But I do suggest you might want to consider two different lines, with different ports/glaciers, to make the most of this. Even consider going on different lines, it's easy to get Seward/Whittier, on top of both these ports offering spectacular touring opportunities. It's well worth the time to spend a day or two there and take advantage.

If you do stay on the same ship, booking ahead can usually get you the same cabin, but not always. You usually can stay on the ship and don't "disembark", but do get off the ship and enjoy the ports. :)

I predict you will have the opportunity for some significantly discounted rates, if you want the lowest, you may want to block out 2 1/2 weeks of time like a Thurs/ to Tues 2 weeks later, and book your flight now. THEN late book the one way cruises, that have rate drops.

Archived