Opinion about Carnival Fuel Surcharge

tedjazz

One thing I have to say is this dissent and disscussion is good. When people complain about the fuel surcharge whether it is needed or not the cruise lines read it. It is because of threads like this that people who booked before the surcharges went into effect, did not have to pay the surcharge, due to the uproar and the state of Florida. I remember a few years back when the artificial pricing of port charges where struck down too and the lines could only charge what they were charged for port charges.

Also because of what happened to the cruise lines probably indirectly influenced the airlines when they started adding baggage fees. So people who got their tickets before the fees still can take the luggage without the fees.

The voice of the people are heard especially on these mulitple threads on the fuel surcharge. All in all it was a bad thing and bad public relations resulted. If the cruise lines needed to raise prices they just should have raised them instead of this goofy formula about whether or not you have to pay a fuel charge based on the price of oil.

debkjw

One thing I have to say is this dissent and disscussion is good. When people complain about the fuel surcharge whether it is needed or not the cruise lines read it. It is because of threads like this that people who booked before the surcharges went into effect, did not have to pay the surcharge, due to the uproar and the state of Florida. I remember a few years back when the artificial pricing of port charges where struck down too and the lines could only charge what they were charged for port charges.

Also because of what happened to the cruise lines probably indirectly influenced the airlines when they started adding baggage fees. So people who got their tickets before the fees still can take the luggage without the fees.

The voice of the people are heard especially on these mulitple threads on the fuel surcharge. All in all it was a bad thing and bad public relations resulted. If the cruise lines needed to raise prices they just should have raised them instead of this goofy formula about whether or not you have to pay a fuel charge based on the price of oil.

debkjw

When airlines have added surcharges in the past, you didn't have to pay them if you had already booked before the surcharge was put into place, so I'm not sure the cruiselines had much to do with that...

Cruiselines aren't the only one using the goofy formula... seems it is a pretty standard practice with surcharges... and everyone's prayers will be answered when the fares are raised for 2010 cruises... then everyone will be happy, no surcharge and higher prices... hallelujah!!! :D

Overwelmingly people who have posted here do not like to hear my opinion about Carnival's Fuel Surcharge and I am willing to discontinue sharing my opinion if those people will not post any of their comments or responses to my posts any longer. If no one posts this thread will likely disappear in just a few days, if those people angered by my opinions and wish to censure (look it up) me further I will return to defend my position once again. Peace to all of you and Happy Cruisin' :)

Anyway, I got lots of readin' to do thanks to my new friends helping me find these CCL financial reports and the link to CNN. woohoo!

Overwelmingly people who have posted here do not like to hear my opinion about Carnival's Fuel Surcharge and I am willing to discontinue sharing my opinion if those people will not post any of their comments or responses to my posts any longer. If no one posts this thread will likely disappear in just a few days, if those people angered by my opinions and wish to censure (look it up) me further I will return to defend my position once again. Peace to all of you and Happy Cruisin' :)

Anyway, I got lots of readin' to do thanks to my new friends helping me find these CCL financial reports and the link to CNN. woohoo!

I just have to say... for you to tell people to look words up, and then not know what CNN is, and not know how to look up financial reports of a public company, eh... I'm not sure the condescening attitude is working for you on that one ;) LOL

I just have to say... for you to tell people to look words up, and then not know what CNN is, and not know how to look up financial reports of a public company, eh... I'm not sure the condescening attitude is working for you on that one ;) LOL

Earth to Lucy, Earth to Lucy, come in Lucy...

Remember what I said...

BTW, I know what CNN is now. That where I get all my facts.

I don't think you should or will be ridiculed for your post, but I do have a contrary viewpoint for your consideration.

When CCL instituted the fuel surcharge they couldn't apply it immediately because the people who had already made a deposit for an upcoming cruise would scream bloody murder that they weren't told about a surchasrge. Their position would be that they had already contracted with CCL to sail at a certain price, and CCL couldn't unilaterally raise that price just because fuel prices were soaring.

However, now that fuel prices have come back down, people are arguing the exact opposite point. They are saying that even though they contracted with CCL to cruise at a certain price (which includes the $9/day extra) they want CCL to drop the price immediately because fuel prices have come back down.

You can't have it both ways. What's sauce for the goose......

<bolding mine>.....Actually, that's EXACTLY what they tried to do in Nov 2007. It was imposed on many existing (even fully paid) bookings. Mine were among them. Beyond that, I agree with you 100%.

I don't care what anyone says, justifies or screams at me about, but I am not booking one single cruise until they remove the fuel charges. I had NO problem paying for them when the price of fuel was up and it was justified, but with it being lower than ever and still be slapped with it, forget it. I refuse to pay it and I won't cruise until they remove it. It's absolute hog wash and BS!

WOW Dan!! You have been WARNED :eek: I'm just telling you since I know you can't see his posts...

Like I care?

Dan

Fine by me folks, you want to play, lets play... Let the opinions fly.

I offered a truce, but seems like some of you need to hear me go on about this stuff some more. You're like a Junkie that needs his Fix.

Fine by me folks, you want to play, lets play... Let the opinions fly.

I offered a truce, but seems like some of you need to hear me go on about this stuff some more. You're like a Junkie that needs his Fix.

Maybe you are confused... Dan told you he put you on ignore, so he can't read your posts... for me, I really don't care what you post about, you are an adult and as long as you follow the rules of the board, you can post whatever you want. Like I said, I don't sweat the small stuff... I know why the charge is in place, I've done my research, I know how this type of thing works... so I am an informed consumer and can make decisions based on that. If those of us that have done the research can help those of you that haven't, then it's all good... not trying to change your mind, just trying to help you understand things better since you said you didnt understand. It's not about playing... that's not why I'm on this board... I'm here to share my experience, help others and enjoy the company of the many friends I have here... if you are here to play, I can't stop you... as long as you follow the rules it's all good... some I'm sure will play with you.

I don't care what anyone says, justifies or screams at me about, but I am not booking one single cruise until they remove the fuel charges. I had NO problem paying for them when the price of fuel was up and it was justified, but with it being lower than ever and still be slapped with it, forget it. I refuse to pay it and I won't cruise until they remove it. It's absolute hog wash and BS!

And you are well within your rights to do that... good for you. I'm sure once the lower price of fuel reaches the cruiselines and is stable, the fuel charges will be removed and you'll be back to cruising. In the meantime, have a good time :)

You need to find a new hobby and stop obsessing over the fuel surcharge. For the moment it is a separate part of the cruise price. If it goes away it will be hidden in the new prices. So What? Fuel costs money, it will ALWAYS be part of the cruise price, however it is figured in, it is still part of the price, cruise if you can handle it, don't cruise if you can't. You cite facts, cite this fact, every cruise you ever take, you WILL be paying for fuel one way or another.

Your constant posts about the fuel are NO DIFFERENT than someone constantly posting that the prices are too high. Or someone complaining about tipping, or Carnival's excursion profits.

It is what it is, you pay and you go, or you don't pay and you stay home.

Let it go!

Dan

Hey Dan, it's the principle here, do you not get that? Obviously not..... I'd rather have my cruise price higher. It's the principle of paying for something separately documented that no way in heck we should. Ripping people off. I had no problem paying it when it was warranted, but now, it's a downright scam.

Hey Dan, it's the principle here, do you not get that? Obviously not..... I'd rather have my cruise price higher. It's the principle of paying for something separately documented that no way in heck we should. Ripping people off. I had no problem paying it when it was warranted, but now, it's a downright scam.

It's definitely not a scam... if it was a scam, Fedex, UPS, DHL, airlines and all cruiselines wouldn't be able to get away with it. The price of oil today has nothing to do with the prices these companies are paying for fuel today... nowhere close to a scam... like I said, people really need to educate themselves about how these things work before they start throwing words like that around.

Lucy since you seem to be an expert :rolleyes: explain to me how come when the price of Oil shot up dollar by dollar the very next day gas stations reflected that and increased there cost of gas over night even though that gas was bought months earlier at lower prices then when Oil started going down it took those same gas stations a few weeks to lower thier price ..........I know this thread is about the fuel supplement but to me it is all the same. Also large companies by fuel in bulk and get a better price than the individuals or small outfits.

Lucy since you seem to be an expert :rolleyes: explain to me how come when the price of Oil shot up dollar by dollar the very next day gas stations reflected that and increased there cost of gas over night even though that gas was bought months earlier at lower prices then when Oil started going down it took those same gas stations a few weeks to lower thier price ..........I know this thread is about the fuel supplement but to me it is all the same.

LOL. Yes, let's let Lucy, the expert, answer this. :cool:

WOW Dan!! You have been WARNED :eek: I'm just telling you since I know you can't see his posts...

Maybe you are confused... Dan told you he put you on ignore, so he can't read your posts... for me, I really don't care what you post about, you are an adult and as long as you follow the rules of the board, you can post whatever you want. Like I said, I don't sweat the small stuff... I know why the charge is in place, I've done my research, I know how this type of thing works... so I am an informed consumer and can make decisions based on that. If those of us that have done the research can help those of you that haven't, then it's all good... not trying to change your mind, just trying to help you understand things better since you said you didnt understand. It's not about playing... that's not why I'm on this board... I'm here to share my experience, help others and enjoy the company of the many friends I have here... if you are here to play, I can't stop you... as long as you follow the rules it's all good... some I'm sure will play with you.

Your first post I have quoted seems to be a provocation, stirring the pot if you will. That is "playing". So take ownership of your own behavior. As far as your knowledge and expertise, I have never once questioned how intelligent you are on this subject. It all comes down to this, you are fine with the Fuel Surcharge, I am not, I do think we can agree on that. Opinions... all of us have them and ought to be free to express them. If you want to continue to stir the pot I will return to defend my position, just like I said before. This thread will die in just a few days if people will stop posting. I am willing, but it looks like some are not.

Don't worry about it. Once there surcharge is gone Carnival has already announced that they are raising the cabin prices.....

Guess that will make it easier for some to swallow......;)

It is funny to me that out of all the responses made by the "OP" this one was never commented on........;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

You know what? I don't care if they raise the cruise prices, but remove the fuel surcharges. It's the PRINCIPLE! However, I do not believe for one second the price of cruises are going to go up and people are going to pay for them in this economy. Cruise prices have done nothing but drop and I think 2009 will be the most bargains ever. People just are not flying or wanting to travel with the price of airlines and the cruise lines are suffering for it. That in addition to the stock market crash and job losses. Raising the cruise fares is just pure bluff in my opinion!

And that's certainly your choice. I have a lot of respect for you by actually taking action instead of coming on here to simply whine about it while still booking cruises.

Archived