Opinion about Carnival Fuel Surcharge

tedjazz

You know, it comes down to this for me.

I dont mind the fact that Carnival imposes a fuel surcharge. When I booked last February for this upcoming cruise in January, it was $5 per person per day, fine.

Last week I called and received a refund because the price of the cruise went down $70 per person, but my fuel surcharge went up to $9 per person per day. That effectively gave me about a $50 per person credit difference, which is nice and I will not complain about that. I am simply stating this for others. I know there are a million threads and opinions on this matter.

When Carnival was charging $5 per person per day, oil was over $100+ per barrel back in Feb 08.

Now in November 08, oil is around $55-$60 per barrel, with the surcharge now being 80% higher than we originally booked for. I guess I wonder why Carnival continues to impose a higher surcharge when their costs have come way down.

I don't believe in the "catch up" theory, or the "stabilization" theory as others have mentioned. Carnival does not pay 2007 gas prices for the fuel they are purchasing today. So why do you accept the extra charges as "its just the way it is and if you don't like it, don't cruise." Using that as a response shows ignorance and doesn't get to the core of the question.

Think about this, if oil was at $55 a barrel all the time, there wouldnt ever be a fuel surcharge imposed, so now thats it that level, why is there one now?

I would suggest that Carnival institute some form of policy where, at the date of final payment due, if fuel is trading at or above a set price of $xxx then a surcharge will be imposed and added to the cruisers cost.

This way everyone would know ahead of time the surcharge may or may not apply to them, and they can plan for it and monitor it themselves, one time on date they would know to check, which would be final payment due date. Surcharge would then be added to each cruisers S&S account when arriving for embarkation and there wouldn't be any problems because they would be expecting it.

This nonsense of having to monitor it for 25 consecutive trading days 5 days prior to your cruise is crazy, and confusing for many people. Think of all those people who lost out on a nice OBC because of .53 a little while back.

I know I will probably be ridiculed for this post, and thats ok, just trying to bring another persons viewpoint into this.

Have a great day.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and I just hope the flamethowers will respect that you have a right to your opinion without ridiculing you for that opinion. Good Luck :)

You know, it comes down to this for me.

I dont mind the fact that Carnival imposes a fuel surcharge. When I booked last February for this upcoming cruise in January, it was $5 per person per day, fine.

Last week I called and received a refund because the price of the cruise went down $70 per person, but my fuel surcharge went up to $9 per person per day. That effectively gave me about a $50 per person credit difference, which is nice and I will not complain about that. I am simply stating this for others. I know there are a million threads and opinions on this matter.

When Carnival was charging $5 per person per day, oil was over $100+ per barrel back in Feb 08.

Now in November 08, oil is around $55-$60 per barrel, with the surcharge now being 80% higher than we originally booked for. I guess I wonder why Carnival continues to impose a higher surcharge when their costs have come way down.

I don't believe in the "catch up" theory, or the "stabilization" theory as others have mentioned. Carnival does not pay 2007 gas prices for the fuel they are purchasing today. So why do you accept the extra charges as "its just the way it is and if you don't like it, don't cruise." Using that as a response shows ignorance and doesn't get to the core of the question.

Think about this, if oil was at $55 a barrel all the time, there wouldnt ever be a fuel surcharge imposed, so now thats it that level, why is there one now?

I would suggest that Carnival institute some form of policy where, at the date of final payment due, if fuel is trading at or above a set price of $xxx then a surcharge will be imposed and added to the cruisers cost.

This way everyone would know ahead of time the surcharge may or may not apply to them, and they can plan for it and monitor it themselves, one time on date they would know to check, which would be final payment due date. Surcharge would then be added to each cruisers S&S account when arriving for embarkation and there wouldn't be any problems because they would be expecting it.

This nonsense of having to monitor it for 25 consecutive trading days 5 days prior to your cruise is crazy, and confusing for many people. Think of all those people who lost out on a nice OBC because of .53 a little while back.

I know I will probably be ridiculed for this post, and thats ok, just trying to bring another persons viewpoint into this.

Have a great day.

No, they don't pay 2007 prices, but the prices you are seeing now are for December delivery... the prices for Oct/Nov delivery were still in the $90-$100 range... give it some time. Carnival and all cruiselines are I'm sure watching OPEC's decisions closely, and they are going to continue to make cuts to get oil prices to $70-$90/gallon... but it's going to be December before OPEC takes any more action, as they wait to see what the latest cuts do. Longer term, prices are going to be higher... so Carnival is being wise and will sit back and see what happens. You don't have to "believe in it", but the rapid deterioration in oil prices isn't a good thing, and plans are being put in place to revive the prices and get them stabilized... the cruiselines I'm sure have people watching the developments very closely, and they have stated once the prices stabilize, they will remove the surcharge completely... I certainly didn't see people up in arms asking why Carnival wasn't implementing a fuel surcharge when the oil prices were climbing and everyone seemed pleased that Carnival was sitting on it then... yet they expect the charge to be immediately removed just as soon as oil prices drop... I'm suddenly reminded of Veruca Salt :p

I don't believe in the "catch up" theory, or the "stabilization" theory as others have mentioned. Carnival does not pay 2007 gas prices for the fuel they are purchasing today. .

Is that your opinion or is that fact??

This is where I have issues with this debate. Sometimes people just 'toss' stuff out there without knowing for sure what the heck they are talking about.

Personally I don't know what or how the cruise lines pay for fuel....maybe you do?? If you do, then I apologize.

I do know that in my husband's business which is large but nowhere as near as large as far as fuel usuage as a cruiseline, has to negotiate and purchase fuel a year prior to getting it. So, he has to sit there every year and look at projections and make a 'guess' when to lock in with a price.

He HATES this.

He hates it so much, that for us at home, (we use heating oil) he never locks in. I begged him to do it for us this year (in the beginning of the summer, when you have to do it) because everyone was talking that heating fuel would be close to $6 a gallon. He held fast...and thank goodness he did because obviously, fuel has gone down. People I know that locked in at a high rate (which didn't seem high at the time they locked in) are freaking out now because they are stuck with the rate they locked in at...why?? Because all their fuel was purchased back THEN, at the time they locked in.

Anyway, my DH's projections for this year past (because he had no clue that oil would get so out of hand) cost him considerably more than what he budgeted for....this loss will take a LOT of time to recoup...so I assume that this is the same for the cruise liens but on a MUCH larger scale.

When you are buying tons of fuel, you have to purchase in advance.

Now, I obviously don't know for sure if the cruise lines do it this way, but I am assuming they do and did...and the fuel they are currently using now is very costly.

I also imagine that no one is giving them a great lock in price for next year because it is so volatile right now. What you see at the pump today does not necessarily mean that oil prices are going down and will remain that way.

No one knows for sure.

I guess what I'm getting at is because I really don't understand how it works for a cruise line, and I would hope they are not out to rip me offf (but they DO need to make a profit for goodness sake) then I will always assume that they ARE looking out for their customers and doing their best to make keep costs doable enough so that people continue to book.

It's in their best interest if they do.

I refuse to just toss out opinions on how Carnival or any other line should run their business....it's just ridiculous to do so.

RJ, can you answer my question? Why doesn't any cruise line just put the fuel charge in with the cost of the cruise? Why even put it out there so we can see it and gripe about it? When the price of corn goes up, I don't see a corn surcharge;).

But do we ask airlines the same thing? UPS, Fedex? Progress Energy and utility companies? Carnival has already stated that when the fuel charge goes away, they WILL increase their prices... but for now, this is how they are keeping it on their books like MANY other companies are doing...

You just proved my point. Thank you.

BTW, I was looking into the proverbial mirror when I posted my opinion comment.

I have no idea what I proved to you. Sounds to me like you dont like opinions that disagree with yours from your posts.

I dont like the fuel surcharge. I think thats a moot point. I reluctantly booked two RCL cruises with $10 per day fuel. I feel like not going would be shooting myself in the foot and both were booked because they were still the best deal I could make for myself for the dates I wanted to go.

Of course the fuel surcharge is a burr under my skin but I just am not going to stress over it. Now if oil is under $65 on Dec 18th, I have a choice. Move my cruise one week earlier, or have to wait until March 18th to find out if it will be removed on my cruise date and gamble. I booked on April 5th, so I just barely miss the first qtr's date to find out if the fuel would have been removed, darn. I can say darn darn darn all I want, but I suspect Ill leave things be and just go on my dates rather than move to a earlier date and risk not having as good of a cabin.

I doubt you will find one person who likes the surcharge, just that some of us decided to book and not let it change our plans.

Please before you get the torches out, hear me out. It just occured to me that much of this debate seems to be drawn along Consumer/Business lines. Many of the points that are being made here are based on those two main frames of reference. Many posters are in business for themselves (producers) and struggle to live in volitle economic times and yet other posters (me) are primarily consumers and don't see the other side. It would seem to me, just an opinion, that when viewpoints from either side of the continuum come together, they really don't come together at all because of the differing perspectives. I know this might be confusing, but it kind of makes sense to me now. I am not changing my opinion, I still feel that same way, but I think I do understand a little bit better. I think. ;)

I dont like the fuel surcharge. I think thats a moot point. I reluctantly booked two RCL cruises with $10 per day fuel. I feel like not going would be shooting myself in the foot and both were booked because they were still the best deal I could make for myself for the dates I wanted to go.

Of course the fuel surcharge is a burr under my skin but I just am not going to stress over it. Now if oil is under $65 on Dec 18th, I have a choice. Move my cruise one week earlier, or have to wait until March 18th to find out if it will be removed on my cruise date and gamble. I booked on April 5th, so I just barely miss the first qtr's date to find out if the fuel would have been removed, darn. I can say darn darn darn all I want, but I suspect Ill leave things be and just go on my dates rather than move to a earlier date and risk not having as good of a cabin.

I doubt you will find one person who likes the surcharge, just that some of us decided to book and not let it change our plans.

I would say we are singing from the same sheet of music on this one. I too am booked and I am not changing my booking, I am just paying an extra fee I don't agree with based on the current Fuel Price situation, but I'll do it. That's just my opinion and I think it's fine for anyone to offer their opinion, even when it differs from mine. I am still going to argue my point, that's why we live in America, because we have that right. :)

Other transportation companies are basing their current fuel surcharge on the prices 60 days ago... that seems pretty standard from what I have seen... and it makes sense. And oil prices 2 months ago were much higher than they are today... so I would imagine 2 months from now, if things are stable, you will start seeing some changes...

Please before you get the torches out, hear me out. It just occured to me that much of this debate seems to be drawn along Consumer/Business lines. Many of the points that are being made here are based on those two main frames of reference. Many posters are in business for themselves (producers) and struggle to live in volitle economic times and yet other posters (me) are primarily consumers and don't see the other side. It would seem to me, just an opinion, that when viewpoints from either side of the continuum come together, they really don't come together at all because of the differing perspectives. I know this might be confusing, but it kind of makes sense to me now. I am not changing my opinion, I still feel that same way, but I think I do understand a little bit better. I think. ;)

Perspective means everything. Your perception is your truth.

I'll tell you mine.

back in 2004, we booked the Miracle for a 7 day cruise. We purchased inside cabins at $860 pp. (total with all fees)

The price went down and we wound up for $20 more pp, getting upgraded to obstructive view balconies. So, we spent about $125 pp/pd for this cruise.

Drinks on the ship back then cost the same exact amount that they do now. The only thing that I believe has gone up in price (if I recall correctly) is the surcharge restuarant. I THINK it used to be only $20 pp (I'm not 100% sure) Maybe photos cost less back then (??? I don't really remember but don't think they did)

Back in 2004, the economy was so much beter than it is right now..I think I am safe in saying. Prices on everything were so much less....so CCL's overhead costs were far less.

Right now, even though their costs to operate are far higher, they have continued to keep costs low EVEN with the added fuel surcharge...I imagine to keep people booking.

So...I would look at them currently, in a good light...not thinking how they were ripping me off, but how they are doing their best to keep me on a ship a couple times a year (which I grately appreciate)

BUT, if you like (if you're a glass is half empty type person) you could look back and complain about how CCL was making a HUGE profit off you back THEN...because they certainly were making more off all of us back then than they are now.

I don't agree with that complaint either to be honest, but if complaining feels good to some of you then at least THAT would make sense. Complaining now about the surcharge with the economy being as horrid as it is seems silly when you look at the bottom line whch is WHAT IS YOUR TOTAL COST for ther cruise.

Shouldn't we all be complaining about the economy in general, NOT the fuel supplement?? Isn't this frustration being vented in the wrong area????????

When Carnival was charging $5 per person per day, oil was over $100+ per barrel back in Feb 08. Now in November 08, oil is around $55-$60 per barrel, with the surcharge now being 80% higher than we originally booked for. I guess I wonder why Carnival continues to impose a higher surcharge when their costs have come way down....

I know I will probably be ridiculed for this post, and thats ok, just trying to bring another persons viewpoint into this....

Have a great day.

I don't think you should or will be ridiculed for your post, but I do have a contrary viewpoint for your consideration.

When CCL instituted the fuel surcharge they couldn't apply it immediately because the people who had already made a deposit for an upcoming cruise would scream bloody murder that they weren't told about a surchasrge. Their position would be that they had already contracted with CCL to sail at a certain price, and CCL couldn't unilaterally raise that price just because fuel prices were soaring.

However, now that fuel prices have come back down, people are arguing the exact opposite point. They are saying that even though they contracted with CCL to cruise at a certain price (which includes the $9/day extra) they want CCL to drop the price immediately because fuel prices have come back down.

You can't have it both ways. What's sauce for the goose......

When CCL instituted the fuel surcharge they couldn't apply it immediately because the people who had already made a deposit for an upcoming cruise would scream bloody murder that they weren't told about a surchasrge. Their position would be that they had already contracted with CCL to sail at a certain price, and CCL couldn't unilaterally raise that price just because fuel prices were soaring.

However, now that fuel prices have come back down, people are arguing the exact opposite point. They are saying that even though they contracted with CCL to cruise at a certain price (which includes the $9/day extra) they want CCL to drop the price immediately because fuel prices have come back down.

You can't have it both ways. What's sauce for the goose......

I don't think that the same people who got the fuel surcharge back in your first reference were the same people who are requesting it back now, at least I don't fit that profile.

You just proved my point. Thank you.

BTW, I was looking into the proverbial mirror when I posted my opinion comment.

The problem is that you are expressing your opinions over and over again and on multiple threads. It goes from having an opinion and sharing it to beating a dead horse over and over again. I certainly feel you are entitled to feel the way you do. Complaining on various threads and starting new threads to further your point of view isn't going to get you anywhere. Even if 100% of the people reading this totally agreed with you what is that going to do for your situation? Honestly from everything I've read Carnival is not forcing anyone to accept the charges. When they implemented a fuel surcharge restrospectively yes that was a reason to feel cheated. Carnival fixed that and made all future fuel charges clear at the time of booking. Carnival's BIG mistake in all of this was calling it a fuel surcharge. They should have simply raised the bottom line price and been done with it. NO matter how they proceed at this point anything short of totally removing it will continue to cause people to feel cheated.

Again it's not that your opinion is right or wrong it's that it isn't enough to express it, debate it and give argument to your side but you continue to do so over and over again as if that will change anything. Write to Carnival guest relations, and cc a copy to every higher up you can think of but we can't do a single thing for you here :(

Again it's not that your opinion is right or wrong it's that it isn't enough to express it, debate it and give argument to your side but you continue to do so over and over again as if that will change anything. Write to Carnival guest relations, and cc a copy to every higher up you can think of but we can't do a single thing for you here :(

I sent a letter some time ago regarding this issue and outlined basically what I have outlined numerous times here, thank you very much, they seem to be too busy to get back with me. I am onle expressing my point of view, over and over, becasue as you might have noticed I am responding to the other posters who are are expressing their opinion over and over again. I care not if anyone else shares my opinion, it's my opinion, everyone here is entitled to their own.

I have offered my opinion about the Carnival Fuel Surcharge, supported by facts that are supplied by Carnival themselves and I have been BBQ'd on numerous occasions by the many Carnival Stockholders that populate this thread. I want to just throw out a few thoughts that I am sure that I will be vilified for, but what the heck...the arguement rages on about the "cheap" crusies versus the price of fuel charges. I appreciate "cheap cruises", but I don't appreciate paying for something that is non-existant, "High Fuel" prices in the form of Fuel Surcharges. Here are the facts and no one can dispute them, for they are the truth. Carnival chose to implement Fuel Surcharges that ratcheted up as fuel escalated from $100/barrel to $147/barrel. Remember they began at 100/barrel. That seems reasonable to me. Customers should help out with the fuel costs. I would concur with that. Now that Fuel has drop significantly, way lower than when they implemented the original Fuel Surcharge they still keep it in place until a number of tasks (hoops) have been completed and they insure they return a profit. I am not anti-profit, that is what keeps Carnival prosperous and they are very much so. I am truth in costs, if I pay extra for "High Priced Fuel" then it should be "High Priced", but let's face it, it's not, It's actually quite cheap based on pre-fuel surcharge prices. Many people would argue that I/we are paying for past "high fuel" prices, that have just been left over for us to deal with. I don't buy that and really I don't think anyone with an IQ over 50 should either. I know that most would disagree with me that is your right but stop and look at "Fuel Surcharges", not, wow what a cruise bargain I am getting, the two are not related. A wise man once told me, "You can pretend that Dog **** smells like perfume, but it's still Dog ****." Happy Cruising Ya'll. Thanks for listening :)

You need to find a new hobby and stop obsessing over the fuel surcharge. For the moment it is a separate part of the cruise price. If it goes away it will be hidden in the new prices. So What? Fuel costs money, it will ALWAYS be part of the cruise price, however it is figured in, it is still part of the price, cruise if you can handle it, don't cruise if you can't. You cite facts, cite this fact, every cruise you ever take, you WILL be paying for fuel one way or another.

Your constant posts about the fuel are NO DIFFERENT than someone constantly posting that the prices are too high. Or someone complaining about tipping, or Carnival's excursion profits.

It is what it is, you pay and you go, or you don't pay and you stay home.

Let it go!

Dan

I sent a letter some time ago regarding this issue and outlined basically what I have outlined numerous times here, thank you very much, they seem to be too busy to get back with me. I am onle expressing my point of view, over and over, becasue as you might have noticed I am responding to the other posters who are are expressing their opinion over and over again. I care not if anyone else shares my opinion, it's my opinion, everyone here is entitled to their own.

What did you ask them to get back to you about? :confused: If you wrote a letter about the fuel surcharge, I'm not sure what sort of response you wanted... all cruiselines are doing this and other than a fluff letter saying "sorry you don't like it", they probably just tossed it aside like all the other letters complaining about something they aren't going to do anything about. I guess I don't understand why you keep saying they are "too busy".... heck yeah they are too busy to respond to every single letter that comes into them... not sure what you wanted them to tell you to make you feel better... they weren't removing the surcharge, so what exactly could they have told you to make you feel better?

I didn't know expressing an opinion would cause so much hate and discontent. I guess maybe for the future we should all just keep our opinions to ourselves? Peace ya'll :)

You are welcome to your opinion. I am welcome to my opinion. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. OK?

Could you give us all an estimate of how many hundreds more times you will be expressing this fuel surcharge opinion?

You are welcome to your opinion. I am welcome to my opinion. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. OK?

Could you give us all an estimate of how many hundreds more times you will be expressing this fuel surcharge opinion?

You'll just have to tune in to find out.

What did you ask them to get back to you about? :confused: If you wrote a letter about the fuel surcharge, I'm not sure what sort of response you wanted... all cruiselines are doing this and other than a fluff letter saying "sorry you don't like it", they probably just tossed it aside like all the other letters complaining about something they aren't going to do anything about. I guess I don't understand why you keep saying they are "too busy".... heck yeah they are too busy to respond to every single letter that comes into them... not sure what you wanted them to tell you to make you feel better... they weren't removing the surcharge, so what exactly could they have told you to make you feel better?

Oh, I don't know, maybe that they Love me. That would make me feel better. :)

Archived