Opinion about Carnival Fuel Surcharge

tedjazz

Hey Dan, it's the principle here, do you not get that? Obviously not..... I'd rather have my cruise price higher. It's the principle of paying for something separately documented that no way in heck we should. Ripping people off. I had no problem paying it when it was warranted, but now, it's a downright scam.

Principle.

You have the right to not cruise because you feel this surcharge is unjustified. I think it's admirable that you are acting on your feelings instead of just complaining about it and booking anyway.

I will say, however that this principle thing makes me laugh. I have been (all day) back and forth with friends of mine that I cruise with trying to decide on our cruise for next fall. We decided on a 14 day repo. The cost of this cruise including fuel, comes to $97.53 per day for a balcony cabin, mid ship on deck nine of a beautiful ship.

While you stand by your principle, I am shopping for all the good deals out there.

You have principle, I have a 2 week cricle the caribbean cruise.

Once things become less volatile, and the fuel surcharge disappears, the cost of the cruises may just go sky high, and I might not be able to do a 2 week cruise again....so while people like you stand by your principle and stop booking, I am reaping the benefit of the decrease in cruise fare.

Thank you.

I will now go change my countdown clocks. :D

And that's certainly your choice. I have a lot of respect for you by actually taking action instead of coming on here to simply whine about it while still booking cruises.

Thanks. That is exactly whey I won't book one yet and I'm standing my ground! I love cruising more than anything in the world, but I just don't believe this is fair and I'm not going to feed into it.

Lucy since you seem to be an expert :rolleyes: explain to me how come when the price of Oil shot up dollar by dollar the very next day gas stations reflected that and increased there cost of gas over night even though that gas was bought months earlier at lower prices then when Oil started going down it took those same gas stations a few weeks to lower thier price ..........I know this thread is about the fuel supplement but to me it is all the same. Also large companies by fuel in bulk and get a better price than the individuals or small outfits.

I'm no expert... I've done research in fuel surcharges in transportation. As for gas stations, it is my understanding that it has more to do with the competitive nature of individual stations... our gas is some of the highest in the country right now, we should all be up in arms that we are paying about 20-30 cents higher, and a month ago we were $1 over the national average... but their prices are largely based on what oil is doing today. Fuel charges for cruiselines, shipping companies, utilities, etc. use a 60 day method. Oil sold today is for delivery end of December, early January... so that is what they base their surcharges on.

As for fuel surcharges for taxis??? ROFLMAO! I have no freaking clue!! Every company is making their own decisions... what a taxi cab has to do with fuel surcharges on a cruise ship is beyond me... that's apples to apples alright :rolleyes::rolleyes: (see, I can roll my eyes too!!! :D)

Principle.

You have the right to not cruise because you feel this surcharge is unjustified. I think it's admirable that you are acting on your feelings instead of just complaining about it and booking anyway.

I will say, however that this principle thing makes me laugh. I have been (all day) back and forth with friends of mine that I cruise with trying to decide on our cruise for next fall. We decided on a 14 day repo. The cost of this cruise including fuel, comes to $97.53 per day for a balcony cabin, mid ship on deck nine of a beautiful ship.

While you stand by your principle, I am shopping for all the good deals out there.

Once things become less volatile, and the fuel surcharge disappears, the cost of the cruises may just go sky high, and I might not be able to do a 2 week cruise again....so while people like you stand by your principle and stop booking, I am reaping the benefit of the decrease in cruise fare.

Thank you.

I will now go change my countdown clocks. :D

LOL. The price of cruises are NOT going to go up in 2009 because they will not fill the ships with this economy. Don't you worry, I'll be getting a much better bargain than you. I've been around the block more than once with these things. Enjoy your cruise! I'll be having one in 2009 also and it will be less than yours on a balcony without a fuel surcharge. I promise you that! In fact, I'm so sure about that, I'll be reporting back to you in 2009 and keep this post. :D

You know what? I don't care if they raise the cruise prices, but remove the fuel surcharges. It's the PRINCIPLE! However, I do not believe for one second the price of cruises are going to go up and people are going to pay for them in this economy. Cruise prices have done nothing but drop and I think 2009 will be the most bargains ever. People just are not flying or wanting to travel with the price of airlines and the cruise lines are suffering for it. That in addition to the stock market crash and job losses. Raising the cruise fares is just pure bluff in my opinion!

DIrectly from Carnival... and believe me, people will pay the higher prices and STILL pay less than they did years ago... people will still vacation... cruiselines still do pretty well during economic downturns... there are still plenty of people traveling... plenty of people that will sacrifice in other areas so they can still vacation and keep their sanity, LOL I really don't know why in the world a cruise line would "bluff" about raising their prices... that wouldn't be very smart IMHO.

FUEL SUPPLEMENT UPDATE

October 28, 2008

Carnival has announced that effective October 31, 2008, the existing fuel supplement will be eliminated for all new bookings on 2010 departures. At that same time, a price increase on 2010 sailings will become effective. Additionally, we have established specific guidelines under which the current fuel supplement may be reimbursed to our guests for 2008 and 2009 voyages.

LOL. The price of cruises are NOT going to go up in 2009 because they will not fill the ships with this economy. Don't you worry, I'll be getting a much better bargain than you. I've been around the block more than once with these things. Enjoy your cruise! I'll be having one in 2009 also and it will be less than yours on a balcony without a fuel surcharge. I promise you that! In fact, I'm so sure about that, I'll be reporting back to you in 2009 and keep this post. :D

Why do you think they are having trouble filling ships? There are plenty of people the "economy" aren't affecting... plenty of people that have seen this coming and prepared for it... people are always going to vacation. Americans aren't the only ones that cruise and the number of passengers from other countries has risen dramatically...

I'm not paying too much for my 2009 cruises either... but I'm not sure why I would care what you pay or anyone else pays... isn't all that matters is that YOU are happy with what you paid??? What is the contest, and what is the prize??? :confused:

Lucy, we've seen that 100 times. Your point is????

Wow... you DO need a cruise :p LOL!!

You seem to think they are "bluffing"... I'd like to know why you think that and what the purpose would be... I run a business and don't think I would EVER announce I was raising prices if I wasn't... that would be not only bad business but STUPID to do... there is no possible benefit in announcing raising prices... so could you tell me why you think they were bluffing with the above press release? Thank you in advance :)

Why do you think they are having trouble filling ships? There are plenty of people the "economy" aren't affecting... plenty of people that have seen this coming and prepared for it... people are always going to vacation. Americans aren't the only ones that cruise and the number of passengers from other countries has risen dramatically...

I'm not paying too much for my 2009 cruises either... but I'm not sure why I would care what you pay or anyone else pays... isn't all that matters is that YOU are happy with what you paid??? What is the contest, and what is the prize??? :confused:

Trouble filling ships? Just look at the prices on some of these cruises! They are rock bottom! They definitely are NOT filling ships at full fares. Many people are getting smarter too and not booking so far in advance because it seems after the 90 final payment, some of them are dropping like a rock recently. Now I fully know WITH the fuel surcharge and some of these prices, it's LESS than or about the same you paid BEFORE the fuel surcharge, but I do NOT care! It's the principle of paying these fees for fuel when it is not warranted. I'm not doing it.

I'm no expert... I've done research in fuel surcharges in transportation. As for gas stations, it is my understanding that it has more to do with the competitive nature of individual stations... our gas is some of the highest in the country right now, we should all be up in arms that we are paying about 20-30 cents higher, and a month ago we were $1 over the national average... but their prices are largely based on what oil is doing today. Fuel charges for cruiselines, shipping companies, utilities, etc. use a 60 day method. Oil sold today is for delivery end of December, early January... so that is what they base their surcharges on.

As for fuel surcharges for taxis??? ROFLMAO! I have no freaking clue!! Every company is making their own decisions... what a taxi cab has to do with fuel surcharges on a cruise ship is beyond me... that's apples to apples alright :rolleyes::rolleyes: (see, I can roll my eyes too!!! :D)

You're still cheaper than Chicago! The station by me (near Wrigley Field) was $2.49 tonight; downtown it's $2.69. I work in the burbs and paid $2.32 on Friday.

Our taxi surcharge just came off. It was $1 when gas was $3.70 and higher, then went to $.50, and it went to away completely (don't remember the exact threshold). Of course, now the drivers are threatening to strike if they don't get a 16% increase:rolleyes:! Our cab rates are higher than NYC!

Principle.

I completely agree with you, but I do respect that the poster is actually putting his money where his mouth is so to speak. As opposed to those that just want to continue to whine about the surcharge and missing out on OBC by $.53 while continuing to book.

Trouble filling ships? Just look at the prices on some of these cruises! They are rock bottom! They definitely are NOT filling ships at full fares. Many people are getting smarter too and not booking so far in advance because it seems after the 90 final payment, some of them are dropping like a rock recently. Now I fully know WITH the fuel surcharge and some of these prices, it's LESS than or about the same you paid BEFORE the fuel surcharge, but I do NOT care! It's the principle of paying these fees for fuel when it is not warranted. I'm not doing it.

There are sale prices like there always are during low season... but our cruises next year are not different than they were last year or the year before... ships are going out full... low season brings low fares. The shorter cruises seem to have some fire sales lately, but the longer cruises seem to be selling well depending on the port they are sailing from... the price for our cruise in October, which we booked a LONG time ago, is actually up... so your theory isn't completely accurate.

Then DON'T pay the FEES and DON'T book a CRUISE.. simple enough!! LOL! But don't make things up to prove your point.

If this comment was pointed toward me, let me get you informed or try anyway. I booked a Dec 2008 Carnival Cruise back in August. Fuel prices were very high at that time, Carnival was well within their rights to have passengers pay for the high fuel through the Fuel Surcharge. That is no longer the case with Oil/barrel trading in the mid $50's, and I don't feel that I should pay for high fuel, when there is no high fuel. I have two choices, cancel and lose a substancial amount of money or pay the fuel surcharge. It's a no-brainer to me. I'm not losing the money, but like BalconyBumz says, they get no more of my money until the Fuel Surcharge goes away. So, yes, I am complaining and no I'm not booking cruises anyway. I hope that clears up that misconception, at least with me.

I think the prices are cheaper, or, should I say they haven't risen at all over the past few years which is why I cruise. It's a bargain (well, it would be if my bar bill wasn't so bad at the end...but I digress)

anyway, you refuse to book because of principle yet are missing out on these so called 'rock bottom' prices.

and...this makes sense to you, how????

You sticking by this principle will prove what point to who?? And how will you benefit by sticking to your guns on this?

fwiw, I always book in advance when prices are low. Seldom do the rates I book at go lower, BUT on the 2 occasions (out of the 8 cruises I have taken) when the price did drop, I was given the difference once in upgrades (from an inside to an obstructed view balcony) and the other (most recently) was a refund of the cost difference on my credit card.

People aren't 'getting' smart. Most have always been smart. We don't book without the guarantee that price drops will be honored...OR better yet, we book when the prices are great to start with....usually early on, so we also get our choice of cabin.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the cruise lines are not really making a ton more money with these fuel surcharges. They are keeping them there to make up for the lower fares they are having to fill cruises with because anyone knows out there right now that the prices are dropping like a rock for the most part, not everywhere, but for the most part there are some dang good deals out there. You can get a cruise cheaper right now with the surcharge than you paid a year or 2 ago. But for ME it's the PRINCIPLE!

I completely agree with you, but I do respect that the poster is actually putting his money where his mouth is so to speak. As opposed to those that just want to continue to whine about the surcharge and missing out on OBC by $.53 while continuing to book.

I agree... I have no problem with someone standing their ground, and not whining poor poor pitiful me all over the place... consumers have the right to voice their displeasure with their wallets... it won't change anything, but I know when I've done it, it's made me feel better about not giving into things I don't believe in...

You're still cheaper than Chicago! The station by me (near Wrigley Field) was $2.49 tonight; downtown it's $2.69. I work in the burbs and paid $2.32 on Friday.

Our taxi surcharge just came off. It was $1 when gas was $3.70 and higher, then went to $.50, and it went to away completely (don't remember the exact threshold). Of course, now the drivers are threatening to strike if they don't get a 16% increase:rolleyes:! Our cab rates are higher than NYC!

we paid $2 taxi surcharges in NOLA last week.

I pay surcharges to get my Propane and healting OIL delivered!

It's almost funny at this point.

If this comment was pointed toward me, let me get you informed or try anyway. I booked a Dec 2008 Carnival Cruise back in August. Fuel prices were very high at that time, Carnival was well within their rights to have passengers pay for the high fuel through the Fuel Surcharge. That is no longer the case with Oil/barrel trading in the mid $50's, and I don't feel that I should pay for high fuel, when there is no high fuel. I have two choices, cancel and lose a substancial amount of money or pay the fuel surcharge. It's a no-brainer to me. I'm not losing the money, but like BalconyBumz says, they get no more of my money until the Fuel Surcharge goes away. So, yes, I am complaining and no I'm not booking cruises anyway. I hope that clears up that misconception, at least with me.

You know, I can understand what you're saying to an extent. I'm going to try to put it in a little different perspective. When Carnival implemented a surcharge last year, they implemented on all sailings as of x, regardless of when booked. Many people complained (rightly so IMO) that Carnival was in effect changing the already agreed upon contract, and the fuel surcharge should only be applied to new bookings. Eventually, Carnival relented and people received their money back if they were booked prior to FS implementation.

Now, when you booked in August, fuel was high. You booked and entered into a contract that you would pay the $9 FS. Now that fuel prices have come down, in essence you want to change the contract, even though you agreed to pay CCL $x, regardless of how it was broken down.

So, Carnival can't change the contract when you have to pay more, but they should change the contract when it means you get a refund? You can't have it both ways!

. But for ME it's the PRINCIPLE!

Some people need to be right, some people need to be happy.

Personally, I just need to be happy. Cruising makes me happy. :)

was it Billy Joel??

'I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage

I found that just surviving was a noble fight.

I once believed in causes too,

I had my pointless point of view,

And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.'

Hi Chigirlcruzin :)

My daughter use to live near Wrigley field, too. I love that neighborhood :)

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the cruise lines are not really making a ton more money with these fuel surcharges. They are keeping them there to make up for the lower fares they are having to fill cruises with because anyone knows out there right now that the prices are dropping like a rock for the most part, not everywhere, but for the most part there are some dang good deals out there. You can get a cruise cheaper right now with the surcharge than you paid a year or 2 ago. But for ME it's the PRINCIPLE!

That is simply not true... sure on some cruises, but you have that EVERY year...there are more bargains right now because there are people that are cutting back, but Carnival has made adjustments in order to fill more ships by changing itineraries, changing markets, etc... plus the new ships are goingto help. I have yet to see much difference and if anything... our cruises are about the same, except for the fuel surcharge... Definitely not seeing them "dropping like a rock"... I see that in the off season no matter what.... so while there may be more bargains right now, it's definitely not across the board and not "dropping like a rock"...

A snippet from just one of the recent articles on the subject:

Last year, 54 percent of the total U.S. cruise embarkations started from one of Florida's five major cruise ports -- Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, Tampa and Jacksonville. Florida residents comprised about a quarter of all the U.S. resident passengers.

"The good news is we are optimistic we'll hit our 2008 forecast which is 12.8 million passengers carried," said Terry Dale, CLIA president. That translates to a $38 billion economic impact.

Dale said that cruising has experienced nearly 100 percent occupancy on a regular basis when taking into account that each stateroom is designed for two-person occupancy.

He pointed out that the overall demand for cruising is strong as 34 new ships are scheduled to come on line through 2012, in sizes ranging from smaller more private cruisers to 4,000-passenger megaliners slated to come to Port Canaveral.

Archived