Beware of the Summit - from 3/26/04!!

woodofpine

Yep, you'll have to get off inevitably! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Disembarked this A.M. Sixth cruise since '01 - Second Celeb. Mini Review.

In sum, this ship and crew are firing on all cylinders! Wonderful trip overall. Food far better than I recollect from 15 months ago - really second to none considering the volumes involved! The crew in good spirits and seemingly more happy, efficient and friendly than before. The ship has a couple of quirky but insignificant premature aging issues around the pool, but it is lovely and well kept overall.

Celeb fans should feel pretty confortable and joyious with the present product - if this trip is typical. OK - pool sorbet parades are hokey; but more tasteful than singing waiters! The chilled face cloths were very welcome at the end of the day. Small distinctions that are distinct for a line competing in today's mass market! Our particular crew (Arman and Toni rest., Darius asst. mtr'd.; Sudi at cabin) were subtle but friendly, dedicated and uptempo. "Suggested Atire" was conformed to by the masses. Pool Attendants were present to weigh-in in favor of policy (and actually move a towel at times), but - of course - they were quiet to interfere with pax behavior on their own... can't blame 'em - it isn't up to the line to teach math (brains + consideration = etiquette); Spa pool well run with light eats and hot bubbles.

Our E. Carib ports were done without on board excursion desk bookings. The two we would've but missed due to popularity? St. Lucia Disney's brig from "Pirates of the Caribbean" [but we saw he arrive and then later from Rodney Beach off Pidgeon Island) and a fairly economical Barbados snorkel and turtle swim [instead we booked "Heatwave" catamaran - similar to Celebs 5* and lunch, turtles. Done from the tourist board office at the cruise terminal; proved very excellent and about $60 cheaper for a family of 6 than the ship, adults$ were the same, but kids were about $15 cheaper a head]. Orient and in town by cab in St. Maarten was easy. Megans in St. Thomas. St. Kitts - lovely, too short; on your own $25 pp gets you a dedicated r/t cab N. from Basse Terre to Brimstone Hill Fort for a couple hours - superb views [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img], then r/t cab fare South to lounger w/umbella at S. Friars Beach (excellent [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]).

My daughter is pressing for the compute so best said in finish it. The kids went with a "HOSTILE" attitude about kids cruise "programs", but were clamoring for more time in the Fun ZOne quickly, staff very fresh and into thier charges. Yep - I'd go again in a heartbeat! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Lauderdale terminal is not a highlight... but, what the hey!

Woodofpine
I couldn't agree more. We were on the 3/15/04 Summit and loved every minute. so much so that we just booked 3/11/05- 10 days- eastern Caribbean. This time we aren't going with Concierge class, however. It was nice but we decided to get a cabin with a bigger veranda.
Babyg

Okay babyg, who are you? We were on 3/15 and are booked on 3/11 next year. Maybe I just forgot your screen name??????

Dolphin - 1990
Horizon - 1994, 1995, 1995
Century - 1997, 2000, 2001
Galaxy - 1998
Zenith - 1992, 1999, 2002
Millennium - 2003
Summit 2004
Summit 2005

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;3;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Countdown to Summit 2005

Hey babyg and PatC... I'm also booked on the Summit for next March 11th. Took a year or two off to cruise RCCL and now it's back to Celebrity for a change. Was on the Milennium a few years back and loved it although I felt the service/food wasn't as good as a subsequent trip on the Galaxy. From the recent postings I'm guessing they've figured out this class of ship and I can't wait. 330 days (or there abouts) and counting!

Isn't Brimstone Hill fortress in St. Kitts something? I was really awed by it, but I like that "massive public works" kind of stuff!

Glad you had a great time! I keep thinking maybe some things on Celebrity are improving because they aren't rolling out so many (or any) new ships right now, so their training, "their game" is getting better without the constant chaos of rolling out new ships.

Jeff

Mercury Inside Passage
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Hi RicT

We've got a group already for the cc party. On the 3/15 sailing we had a very large group, we all wore something so we could recognize each other and had a sail away party at the Mast Bar. We met some wonderful people and made good friends and are now all booked on the 3/11 trip. Glad you could join us. We LOVE this ship, that's why we booked her again. Okay, everyone sign up and we can get our thread going. We're on 10 pages and we've been home a week already. I started it but got no response. Check it out and we can keep in touch. Note my day clock!!!

Dolphin - 1990
Galaxy - 1998
Millennium - 2003
Summit 2004
Summit 2005

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;3;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Countdown to Summit 2005

JC - the crew definately had a "Beat" over the (nice)ex-Ren rest. hrown on us on night 2 of last Celeb cruise, after cabin coordination "issues". Really - there are some X things that I view quirky. But service is the key, and this Summit group is line knowledgeable-trad, friendly and motivated.

I sensed that the "staid/formal" was appreciated as "cool" by first timers whose comments I heard.

woodofpine - thanks for the review we board next week! Questions - in St Maarten we also will be doing shopping and Orient Beach. Did you make arrangements for the driver to take you to the beach/pick you up and drop you off in town and then shop? Approx how much did you spend in cabs? Last one, can you walk to shopping from the ship? Thanks for your help.

A modestly priced water taxi shuttles between the cruise terminal and downtown Phillipsburg ($3 each way; $5 all day). Our line newsletter quotes cab fares to Orient as $18 each way for 1-2 people. We negotiated lower "family" fares for our 2 adults and 4 youngsters from town to beach then returning to the ship. Cabs are freely available in town and are constant at the beach; drivers are willing to coordinate pickup. It is very easily done independently.

Thanks so much - it sounds like we can hit the beach in the morning, come back to the ship for a quick bite and clothes change and then take the water taxi into town. Day planned - thanks to your info!

Pat C
We didn't get to CC parties and so we never got to meet the group (except for maybe one or two.) This time we won't let that happen. Which cabin will you be in? I was really undecided about the CC or the 1A. The 1A has a much larger veranda. But I guess it's a trade-off. Have you started a post for 3/11/05? Let me know. I'm so excited. And now the countdown begins.!
Babyg

Rick T
We were on the Millenium in June 02 and loved it. But I think the Summit has become our favorite. Looking forward to corresponding and planning and counting the days as well.
Babyg

Hi babyg

I see you found us on the other site. We booked Concierge because we loved it last time. So sorry you missed the cc party. We met so many wonderful new people and spent time with others. This time you'll have to join us. We did wear our mardi gras beads and outfits and did recognize each other at the pier, even before we boarded the ship. We had a "reunion" in the lobby and became friends right away. These are the best people. Welcome to all the others who are sailing with us.

Dolphin - 1990
Galaxy - 1998
Millennium - 2003
Summit 2004
Summit 2005

Countdown to Summit 2005

Pat
We had CC 9140 last cruise. Loved the convenience of being one deck below pool and treats. But the veranda only took one lounge chair, one sitting chair and a small table. This time be booked #6144- larger veranda and cabin. But we are still going back and forth as
to which would be better. What to do???????????? Definetly will get together with the group on 3/11.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived