Nassau Jitney - Head's Up on new fares.

scubagirrl

As alot of you are planning to use the #10 jitney to get back and forth to Cable Beach from downtown, I thought I should tell you that the fare has been increased to $1.25 due to inflation and the cost of gas. You must have exact change, as drivers do not give change.

All fares have been increased, not just the #10.

Taxi's are also now allowed a surcharge. I don't have the new rates yet, but this should add another $1 or $2 to the overall fare.

I'll post the new fares when they are listed.

Scubagirl, thank you very much for all yr valueble information on Nassau. I have learned so much from your postings here.

I was thinking to do some sightseeing in a jitney, to explore a bit more of the island and see some other communities and going for a joyride away from the tourist area.

I had a look at some maps of the island :

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/251_newprovidenceisland.jpg

http://www.peterloud.co.uk/bahamas/new_prov.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-481464-map_of_nassau-i

1. What will be the most scenic route all along the coast ? East of west?

2. Which jitney do we board and where do we find them ?

3. How much will it cost ( I do realise we have to agree on a price before we get in) and how long will it take ?

Anyone who has done this before, please share your experiences. I would love to see more of the island while there. We ussually dont rent a local tour guide for the day, but rather use the public transportation.

• 1 month later...
Scubagirl, thank you very much for all yr valueble information on Nassau. I have learned so much from your postings here.

I was thinking to do some sightseeing in a jitney, to explore a bit more of the island and see some other communities and going for a joyride away from the tourist area.

I had a look at some maps of the island :

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/251_newprovidenceisland.jpg

http://www.peterloud.co.uk/bahamas/new_prov.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-481464-map_of_nassau-i

1. What will be the most scenic route all along the coast ? East of west?

2. Which jitney do we board and where do we find them ?

3. How much will it cost ( I do realise we have to agree on a price before we get in) and how long will it take ?

Anyone who has done this before, please share your experiences. I would love to see more of the island while there. We ussually dont rent a local tour guide for the day, but rather use the public transportation.

You won't find any jitney that goes around the whole Island. The most popular is the #10 or 10A. Ask the driver is they are going just to cable beach or further. (they go back and forth on a route).

The cost is $1.25.

Other jitneys will take you to other parts of the island, none particularly interesting.

You may be better off with a cab.. eastern is the big older villas and some very nice beachfront homes at south beach.

West is past Cable Beach, Gambier and Lyford Cay (gated millionaire row).

Either would be a nice drive.

Our day in Nassau was action packed and time was an issue trying to see so much, so we only opted to go west to Cable Beach and back. Riding in the jitney was a highlight for us, we boarded the #10 across the street from the British Colonial Hotel and infront of McDonalds on the McDonalds side of the street. It was nothing like we expected and turned out to be a highlight of our visit to Nassau.

Not knowing what to expect, soon after departing at high speed, the side door flew open and 30 seconds later we came to a sudden stop to pick up a guest. I knew we were in for an exciting ride ! Our driver did not dissapoint, whisteling to females along the way and shouting remarks that made the females smile and us as well. He even overtook a cop car, we were entertained all the way. The driver had an assistant with him that collects the money. We just got in and stay onboard all the way , till they turned around and we headed back the way we came.

It was very interesting in many ways. Seeing Nassau away from the tourist areas was great. At one time we were the only guests onboard and I felt very safe.

My male partner, who was hesitant at first at my idea of riding with the locals, still talks about that ride in the jitney ! For $1.25 and about 40 mins worth of sightseeing and experiencing local island transportation, it was money well worth spent.

We asked that they drop us off as close to the water taxi as possible. From here we walked to the water taxi and got on right away for another wonderful entertaining trip across the bay and past all the cruise ships to Paradise Island. Its something I will do again, the water taxi to Paradise Island at $3 pp was great value as well. Next time I want to spend more time on Paradise island.

I remembered the buses as being the most fun way to get around the Nassau area. Are these the jittneys that you mentioned?

We rode them all the time when we visited there many years ago. It was a great way to see how the locals lived and to mingle with them a bit.

Also rented the scooters to see what was beyond bus route as there were many rumors.

What we found was mostly abandoned junk like old water heaters and deserted, wild beach areas.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, $1.25 US is fine. We took the #1 (or another one would work too - I think #7 or 9) from the ship to the base of the bridge to walk over to Atlantis. Yes, cab fare is cheap ($4 per person to various spots on Paradise Island) but we really like the walk over the bridge. Just tell the driver as you board where you are getting off. Act like a tourist (!) and they will help you.

Is this fare for just whatever leg you take.

For instance from the cruise ship to breezes is $1.25.

And then later, if I want to take it to the Crystal Palace, it is another $1.25. And so on, and so on????

Does #10 Jitney take you to ATLANTIS?

Each time you get on a jitney you must pay the $1.25.

There are no jitneys allowed on Paradise Island.

You can take the #1 from downtown and get dropped at the bridge and walk across .. but this is quite a walk. The bridge is 600 feet long and rises 73 feet at the crest.

Or,

you can take the ferry from the wharf for $3pp.

Or

you can take a cab from downtown directly to Atlantis for about $4pp.

Can someone please give me directions on where to find the bus station for jitney #10 from the cruise ship pier in Nassua? Thanks for your help! :)

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already. I did try the search function but it doesn't seem to be working. All I got was an error message.

Chesneygirl - the directions to get #10 are a few posts before yours in this thread. But if you didn't read that you probably aren't reading this. :D

From WarmWaters: boarded the #10 across the street from the British Colonial Hotel and infront of McDonalds on the McDonalds side of the street.

Can someone please give me directions on where to find the bus station for jitney #10 from the cruise ship pier in Nassua? Thanks for your help! :)

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already. I did try the search function but it doesn't seem to be working. All I got was an error message.

As you exit the cruise terminal (Festival Place), head to the right along the waterfront. Pass the water taxi's until you get to Senor Frog's (which adjoins the British Colonial Hilton). When you arrive at Senor Frogs, face directly away from the water and start walking. In less than a minute you will see McDonalds to your right. Stand in front of McDonalds next to the Bus stop sign (beware the cactii if you've had a few libations).

Is the straw market and arwak cay the fish fry area right around the area that we get off the ship?or do you need the bus or cab?I know you have to use water taxi or cab for paradise island but not sure on these places.I want to shop through the straw market ,try conch fritters from twin brothers and get on #10 to see the area. then go to paradise island on water taxi.any information on this would be very appreciated!:confused:

Is the straw market and arwak cay the fish fry area right around the area that we get off the ship?or do you need the bus or cab?I know you have to use water taxi or cab for paradise island but not sure on these places.I want to shop through the straw market ,try conch fritters from twin brothers and get on #10 to see the area. then go to paradise island on water taxi.any information on this would be very appreciated!:confused:

Refer to post #20

Just before you get to Senor Frog's you'll see the Straw Market.

Arawak Cay is a pretty long hike, take the #10 bus (see post #20) or a cab from the port

Archived