Alaska Discount Books

Sugar&Buddy

Sorry, but I'm new here. I hope it isn't rude for me to ask my own separate question here regarding the discount books. I was hoping that someone that has either book could answer some questions before I buy the book(s).

According to the Northern Lights Web site they offer a few two-for-one round trip coupons for the Alaska Railroad. Does anyone have any information/disclaimers for these coupons? Also, does anyone know if the prices listed on the Alaska Railroad Web site are for one-way or round trip fares?

And finally, could someone let me know if there are any restrictions to the Denali Park Resorts lodging coupons. I thought I read somewhere that they were restricted to Thursday to Sunday stays. Is this correct?

Any info would be very helpful as I start planning our trip.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I'm new here. I hope it isn't rude for me to ask my own separate question here regarding the discount books. I was hoping that someone that has either book could answer some questions before I buy the book(s).

According to the Northern Lights Web site they offer a few two-for-one round trip coupons for the Alaska Railroad. Does anyone have any information/disclaimers for these coupons? Also, does anyone know if the prices listed on the Alaska Railroad Web site are for one-way or round trip fares?

The Northern Lights book has 4 coupons (Anchorage-Seward, Anchorage-Denali, Anchorage-Whittier, and Anchorage-Fairbanks) - which route are you considering? If you go to the Alaska Railroad website the prices are listed for one way as well as round trip.

And finally, could someone let me know if there are any restrictions to the Denali Park Resorts lodging coupons. I thought I read somewhere that they were restricted to Thursday to Sunday stays. Is this correct?

There are 2 coupons for the Denali Park Resorts lodging (Denali Bluffs Hotel and Grande Denali Lodge) - which one are you considering?

Any info would be very helpful as I start planning our trip.

Thanks!

If you give me specifics, I can check my NL book.

If you give me specifics, I can check my NL book.

Wonderful. Thanks for offering to look these up for me.

My original plan was to do a Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage to Seward land tour before the cruise, so I guess one general question would be if the coupons can be used in reverse for a southbound trip. If not, I guess I can plan the northbound version of my itinerary instead. So, could you tell me what the restrictions/details are for the Anchorage to Denali coupon?

The hotel I was really interested in is the McKinley Chalet Resort. Would you mind terribly looking to see if that one is in the book? The Web site says that it is, but it would be nice to know for sure. I'd actually be happy with either if they don't have restrictions on which days of the week the coupon can be used. (I'm thinking we'd be checking on a Monday or Tuesday.)

Thanks again for looking these up for me.

Wonderful. Thanks for offering to look these up for me.

My original plan was to do a Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage to Seward land tour before the cruise, so I guess one general question would be if the coupons can be used in reverse for a southbound trip. If not, I guess I can plan the northbound version of my itinerary instead. So, could you tell me what the restrictions/details are for the Anchorage to Denali coupon?

Anchorage-Denali

"This Coupon Entitles The Bearer To ONE FREE ROUND TRIP TICKET 'ANCHORAGE-DENALI' With The Purchase of One Full-Fare Adult Round Trip Ticket. Not Valid From June 16, 2009 to August 14, 2009. Reservations Required. Not Valid With Other Promotions. Valid New Bookings Only. Valid May 15, 2009 Through June 15, 2009 & Aug. 15-Sept. 13, 2009."

Call 800-544-0552 for questions or clarifications - Alaska Railroad Phone Number

The hotel I was really interested in is the McKinley Chalet Resort. Would you mind terribly looking to see if that one is in the book? The Web site says that it is, but it would be nice to know for sure. I'd actually be happy with either if they don't have restrictions on which days of the week the coupon can be used. (I'm thinking we'd be checking on a Monday or Tuesday.)

McKinley Chalet Resort

"This Coupon Entitles The Bearer To Receive Your 2nd Consecutive Night Free with The Purchase Of Your 1st Night At The Regular Rate. Limit One Coupon Per Stay. Advanced Reservations Required. Limited Availability. Not Valid With Other Discounts Or Promotions. Valid May 12, 2009 - Sept. 20, 2009."

For Reservations/Clarification Call: (800) 276-7234.

Thanks again for looking these up for me.

The train coupon is for a ROUND TRIP and not a one way so I don't know if that will help.

You did not mention your travel dates so I included validity dates for coupon usage.

I have given you contact numbers so you can call the places if you have any concerns or further questions.

Good luck with your planning.

The train coupon is for a ROUND TRIP and not a one way so I don't know if that will help.

You did not mention your travel dates so I included validity dates for coupon usage.

I have given you contact numbers so you can call the places if you have any concerns or further questions.

Good luck with your planning.

Thanks for the information. I'm planning a trip for early to mid-June. One week on land, one week on water (on RCCL). It looks like I'm a little late in the planning game, but I've been able to gather tons of info from the various boards here. Everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks again!

Maybe the Alaska Railroad coupon from Anchorage to Seward?

Nope, there is a One Free Round Trip Ticket "Anchorage-Seward" with the purchase of one full-fare adult round trip ticket listed in the Northern Lights Book.

I think what confuses people is the time line for validation of coupons. They are good, you just need to use them within the stated dates.

• 2 weeks later...
None of these vendor's ever have coupons. And they are usually fully booked.

We will be on a 6-day cruisetour and 7-day cruise. We will be arriving in Anchorage 2 full days before cruisetour begins. I checked Northern Lights discount book on line for coupons offered, however, I do not cities some of these places.

Are there enough restaurant coupons in Anchorage? What about other available coupons for tours in Anchorage?

We will be on a 6-day cruisetour and 7-day cruise. We will be arriving in Anchorage 2 full days before cruisetour begins. I checked Northern Lights discount book on line for coupons offered, however, I do not cities some of these places.

Are there enough restaurant coupons in Anchorage? What about other available coupons for tours in Anchorage?

The TourSaver book does have Anchorage restaurants. The Northern Lights book seems to have a lot more of them though. It seems to be more of an Entertainment type book for Anchorage and it's surrounding areas. Some of the coupons are not good for certain dates. Probably the peak tourist time.

There are coupons for tours in Anchorage in both books. Some are the same and some are different. The times for some of these tours, in both books, are very limited, like "for 3:30pm tour only".

I purchased both books but it turns out the TourSaver is more much useful for our trip since they include excursions for the Inside Passage.

The TourSaver book does have Anchorage restaurants. The Northern Lights book seems to have a lot more of them though.

The TourSaver Book does NOT have any restaurants. If you check the website, all of the coupons are listed. The restaurants listed at the top are only reviews, not coupons.

The TourSaver Book does NOT have any restaurants. If you check the website, all of the coupons are listed. The restaurants listed at the top are only reviews, not coupons.

Oops, pizzalady1 is correct. I was confusing the front of the Northern Lights book with the TourSaver. There are only two coupons for specialty dinning that I can see in the TourSaver. One is for Cabin Nite Dinner Theater in Denali and the other is a Kodiak dinner cruise. No regular restaurant coupons at all.

Sorry for the confusion.

Archived