Wonderful P.G. experience;Terrible ending

UmaS

After spending a night at the Intercontinental Beachcomber in Tahiti and three

nights at the Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort (arranged on our own), we sailed

on the P.G. Oct. 16-23 cruise. We loved the ship, our balcony cabin; the food

was terrific, as was service (as per usual), Les Gauguines and the other

Polynesian entertainment, the lectures, the excursions, the complimentary motu

days at Taha'a and Bora Bora, the islands themselves, the people we met. It

was fun to run into Keyla Sunrise and her family. Instead of going to I-C Beachcomber on our last day, for some reason we were sent to Le Meridien.

I hadn't questioned this when we received our documents because I assumed it

would be a nice resort. All I can say is that our experience at this property was

horrendous, and made for a terrible ending to what had been a dream vacation.

It was actually so bad that my husband isn't sure he ever wants to sail

Radisson again. We've taken the matter up with our travel agent, and both she

and I have sent letters to their Guest Relations Manager. I have also sent an

email to Le Meridien's headquarters. Other Radisson passengers who were sent to this resort had similar complaints. Wondered if I should be contacting

Mark Conroy, as well? Feel Radisson needs to re-evaluate this property. Wouldn't want other passengers to experience what we did.

Our room was on the first floor. When we opened the door, we were overwhelmed by the smells of both mildew and cigarettes. The sliding door

didn't lock; it actually didn't even close all the way and we were afraid to leave

our luggage in the room. There was a large mildew stain on the wall above the bed. When we called reception to ask if we could switch

rooms, they informed us the resort was full and that they would send maintenance to look at the door. No one ever came. The lunch buffet, which

was served in their outdoor restaurant, was covered with flies and birds walking

around the hot foods, pecking at the serving utensils. We couldn't really stay

in the room, so took their shuttle to the Marketplace. My husband decided to

try to take a shower when we returned, but when he opened the shower door,

water was leaking profusely from the ceiling, and the ceiling had a large mildew

stain. The tub was in total disrepair. I sat down at the desk in the sleeping area, and it was covered with ants. We called reception again, informed them and at this time just requested that they remove our luggage so that we could

check out of the room. This was at 5:30, and we weren't being picked up until 7 to go to the airport. So we had to wait in the open air lobby - very hot and lots of mosquitoes. I finally asked if there was a cool place to wait and we were given a key to their transit room, where we found a few other

people. We had assumed that we would be able to rest, shower and freshen up that last day before our long trip home. We weren't able to do any of this.

The other Radisson passengers who had been sent to Le Meridien also complained about the food and the mildew smells, but it sounded like our room

was the worst. One woman, a travel agent, said she would be taking this resort off her agency's list of preferred properties. The friends we had made on the cruise, who had all been at Intercontinental Beachcomber, had had

a wonderful time there - relaxing, resting, showering, eating a decent meal.

They were refreshed and we were hot and sticky, very tired, stressed out.

Dear Uma,

That indeed is very upsetting news. I have a mold allergy and could not have spent more than a few minutes in the room you have described. If we had encountered the experience you have related, I would take it all the way to Mark Conroy. I would agree with the travel agent that was on your trip. I would say that the property should be taken off of Radisson's bookings. I've heard that some of the rooms at Le Meridian are very nice, but if the hotel is booking Radisson passengers into any rooms such as you have described, their contract should be dropped.

I'm glad to hear that the rest of your PG vacation was wonderful.

I have done the PG cruise twice in the last 6 months, both times ending at Le Meridien. Both times I had a decent room. I concur about the buffet setting, but it sounds like your bug/bird situation was worse than mine. I would certainlyl write Mr. Conroy: I can't remember if it's m.conroy@rssc.com or Mark.Conroy@rssc.com but DO WRITE!!

He DOES read every email he gets. :eek:

Le Meridien is not one of the best properties on Tahiti and I've always wondered why they use it, especially since the new Radisson hotel/resort is now open - only reason I can guess is that they have contracts to fulfill.

I have done the PG cruise twice in the last 6 months, both times ending at Le Meridien. Both times I had a decent room. I concur about the buffet setting, but it sounds like your bug/bird situation was worse than mine. I would certainlyl write Mr. Conroy: I can't remember if it's m.conroy@rssc.com or Mark.Conroy@rssc.com but DO WRITE!!

He DOES read every email he gets. :eek:

Le Meridien is not one of the best properties on Tahiti and I've always wondered why they use it, especially since the new Radisson hotel/resort is now open - only reason I can guess is that they have contracts to fulfill.

I'm leaving on the 20th, and like the rest of you, staying at the Le Meridien after the cruise. I did write to Mr. Conroy and hope a lot more of us will do the same.

Happy Cruising.

Mike

We're sailing on the PG this coming Saturday, and I am relieved our last "day" will be spent at the Beachcomber.

I'm sorry your trip ended on such a bad note. Hopefully as time goes by, you'll be able to remember the great time on the PG instead of the awful hours you spent at Le Meridien.

We're sailing on the PG this coming Saturday, and I am relieved our last "day" will be spent at the Beachcomber.

I'm sorry your trip ended on such a bad note. Hopefully as time goes by, you'll be able to remember the great time on the PG instead of the awful hours you spent at Le Meridien.

Have a great cruise, when you are getting off, I'm getting on for a great 14 day cruise

mike

We had a nice room at Le Meridian (second floor), no complaints. Some of the others had floor one and complained of chemical odors. Rlf

I called my TA today and she is calling Radisson to see if we can be moved to another hotel for our last day. It would be sad to end the cruise on a bad note. Even though we are only there for a day, I can see that it could be a very long day.

A year or so ago, it was Radisson's practice to assign guests below a certain category on the ship to the Beachcomber, and guests above that category to the Le Meridien. This was done under a belief that Le Meridien was the better of the two, which it once actually was, I'm told. We had our post cruise day room at the Beachcomber in '02, and this hotel was under some construction and the snorkle pool was closed, etc. So we, in all fairness, can't give an opinion on it as it is now. In '03 we were at Le Meridian for our post cruise. The AC didn't work properly, and there were too many problems to mention here.

Clearly, from the reports on this board, the Beachcomber is now better than Le Meridien, and Radisson surely needs to be made aware of this fact.

Thanks,

Richard

A year or so ago, it was Radisson's practice to assign guests below a certain category on the ship to the Beachcomber, and guests above that category to the Le Meridien. This was done under a belief that Le Meridien was the better of the two, which it once actually was, I'm told. We had our post cruise day room at the Beachcomber in '02, and this hotel was under some construction and the snorkle pool was closed, etc. So we, in all fairness, can't give an opinion on it as it is now. In '03 we were at Le Meridian for our post cruise. The AC didn't work properly, and there were too many problems to mention here.

Clearly, from the reports on this board, the Beachcomber is now better than Le Meridien, and Radisson surely needs to be made aware of this fact.

Thanks,

Richard

My TA just called, and Radisson is trying to move me to the Beachcomber and they are aware of the reports. However we should still make Radisson aware of all the problems.

Mike

Sounds like the type of room I had on a precruise stay at the Le Meridien in March 2003.......and with many more unmentioned problems. After writing to my TA, Radisson graciously gifted us with a future cruise credit. Our post cruise day room was the Beachcomber and it was wonderful. I wouldn't stay at the Le Meridien if it was for free and I would do anything to change it if I found out it was my day room on a cruise. Unsanitary to say the least!

Pat

Sounds like the type of room I had on a precruise stay at the Le Meridien in March 2003.......and with many more unmentioned problems. After writing to my TA, Radisson graciously gifted us with a future cruise credit. Our post cruise day room was the Beachcomber and it was wonderful. I wouldn't stay at the Le Meridien if it was for free and I would do anything to change it if I found out it was my day room on a cruise. Unsanitary to say the least!

Pat

I hope to hear from my TA today, and with good news that I have been moved to the Beachcomber. I checked on line, and their are rooms at the Beachcomber so I hope Radisson comes through for me.

I guess we'll have to pack some Lysol, Tilex and Raid in addition to the sunscreen, mosquito repellant, etc. I also have requested a change. It's bad enough to look forward to a red-eye along with the end of the cruise. Don't need ants and mold.

We're getting REALLY excited. See you on ATN

I guess we'll have to pack some Lysol, Tilex and Raid in addition to the sunscreen, mosquito repellant, etc. I also have requested a change. It's bad enough to look forward to a red-eye along with the end of the cruise. Don't need ants and mold.

We're getting REALLY excited. See you on ATN

I'm REALLy excited and starting packing and un- packing last night. I'm on Air Tahiti Nui leaving at 1pm, so I'll see you on board ship. I'm dirving down on the 17th to Carisbad Beach and then to LA. I just got a new 2005 Red Corvette so backing is going to need to be a work of art, I'll let you know if Radisson gets me the change.

Mike

So Mike- is the Corvette going in your carryon or your checked bags? Watch your speed limit. We don't want to have to bail you out.

I'm thinking of taking it to Tahiti with me, but not sure if there is room in the overhead. If we all get stuck at the Le Meridien, we can take turns sleeping in the car.

A corvette would be great BUT - remember that gasoline in Tahiti costs around $12.00 per gallon :eek: !!!

I guess we better leave it in LA. Only one week to go, leaving around 4am on the 17th to drive down, then off with all of us on Saturday. Anyone flying with me on Air Tahiti at 1pm ?

Mike

I guess we better leave it in LA. Only one week to go, leaving around 4am on the 17th to drive down, then off with all of us on Saturday. Anyone flying with me on Air Tahiti at 1pm ?

Mike

I just recived a fax from Radisson with my change from La Meridien to the Inter - Continental Resort Thanks TA and Radisson.......

Mike

Hello,

I am so sorry you had this experience at LeMeridien in Papeete, because we did too. The shower was full of ants, and the air conditioning did not work (in of all places)! The food WAS disgusting, and we could not get anyone to wait on us in the bar area. We finally had to walk over to the bar to get our own beer. Discovering Hunano Beer was the best part of THAT hotel stay!!!

Archived