From Orlando Airport to the cruise Terminal (Port Canaveral)....help!

bubbles1209

What's the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the Orlando Airport? Please share your experiences with me, we've never cruised from here before. Are there shuttles? I've asked on the Florida boards, and after finding out which airport is closest, still not sure how to get to the port from the airport, and from the port back to the airport when we return. Any and all help is appreciated, hopefully I'll get a few responses before they move this thread. Thanks! :)

What's the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the Orlando Airport? Please share your experiences with me, we've never cruised from here before. Are there shuttles? I've asked on the Florida boards, and after finding out which airport is closest, still not sure how to get to the port from the airport, and from the port back to the airport when we return. Any and all help is appreciated, hopefully I'll get a few responses before they move this thread. Thanks! :)

From Orlando Airport you would take State Road 528 (Beeline Expressway, some portions toll) East for no more than an hour. It is really a straight shot to Port Canaveral.

Many folks rent a car and drop off at the port and the same in reverse.... it's an easy drive from MCO to Port Canaveral. Some will use cruiseline transfers.... and then some will arrange using various shuttle services.

What's the best way to get to the cruise terminal from the Orlando Airport? Please share your experiences with me, we've never cruised from here before. Are there shuttles? I've asked on the Florida boards, and after finding out which airport is closest, still not sure how to get to the port from the airport, and from the port back to the airport when we return. Any and all help is appreciated, hopefully I'll get a few responses before they move this thread. Thanks!

We went a few years back, but since we are AAA members, we rented a car from Hertz at the airport, drove to the Hertz office in Cocoa Beach, FL. (*Note: We actually played around in Orlando and toured the state a few days before driving to Port Canaveral to get on the boat). I can say that Hertz was awesome. You drop your car off and they had two guys working with 15 passenger vans taking people to the ships and such. You actually drive by the port on your way to drop the car off. We saw a _huge_ traffic back-up on the exit you are to take to get on the boats. Our driver from the Hertz lot to the boat said to no worry about it, he had a plan. He said a "suspicious package" was called in and they shut the port down causing a massive traffic back-up. It was a left piece of luggage of all things. Anyways, our guy drove past the main exit to enter the port and took a back-way into the area. He actually got past _all_ the traffic and likely saved us an hour+ wait time. There are rental car places all over the area and I think most offer a shuttle service, so I would give them a call. Also, to save money, you could try to find a car rental place away from the airport and have one person take a cab there, return with the car to pick-up the family, and head out to the company lot out on the east coast (Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, etc) and get shuttled to the dock. You do take the State Road 528 (Beeline Expressway).

We were just on a Disney cruise last month and we rented a car at the airport from budget and returned it in port canaveral. The ride is so easy. take 528 east and follow that road all the way. when you go over the bridge into the port the road curves and budget is there on the right. They have a free shuttle to the boat. Some rental car places are now charging for their shuttle service.

The toll when taking Rte 528 (Orange Cty):( (Beach Line) is $2 just east of the airport and then there are no more tolls (Brevard Cty):) all the way to the port. The same for the reverse trip.

The toll East of the airport is not $2.00, its $1.25 and when returning to the airport its another $1.25.

If you dont want the hassle of renting a car and dropping it off, Carnival offers airport shuttles. You might save some money renting your own car and driving 45 minutes and dropping it off again, but its just as easy to get in line and get on the bus. It depends on how many people you have, if you have several, I would rent the car to save the money.

Sorry that you missed the best post on the Florida boards. It is written by people who live in Pt Canaveral and has tons of info. The thread is huge, but if you read the last 20 or so pages, you will get all the info you need, plus more, lol.

It has everything from rental cars with discount codes, shuttles that give discounts, hotels in case you stay overnight, restaurants and everything. Every question you could think of has been asked and answered so you will know all you need to know. Enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720

We have done a couple of different things. First time we took the Coco Beach Shuttle from the airport to the cruise terminal. I CANNOT recommend that. We had a horrible experience with them. The second time we took Carnival's transportation, which worked a lot better. I think it is $25 (which isn't bad depending on how many people you have).

We loved them. They took 6 of us plus 12 bags for only 90 bucks. You get a 10% discount for mentioning CC. Also Carnival Shuttle is like $50 per person. They met us at the port and were there waiting for us when we got off the ship. Nice and easy. No problems no fuss.

I think it is $20 per person up to 4 and then there is a discount from there. They have a web sit but also the Hotels will give you the phone number. Try searching the fl board for Cocoa beach shuttle. But good luck.

We cruised last week and used Florida Towncar from the airport to the port. Their cars were clean and driver was waiting for us when we arrived. The one-way transfer, including tip and grocery stop, was $130. Well worth it, imo, after getting up early to catch a flight. Nice having some peace and quiet. On the way back we did the transfer through the ship.

How to rent a vehicle to get from the Orlando airport (MCO) to the Disney cruise terminal at Cape Canaveral, FL (MU2)

Below is a example of how we saved money and eliminated some hassle by renting our own vehicle to get from the Orlando airport (code = MCO) to the Disney cruise terminal at Cape Canaveral (code = MU2)

The below example uses Thrifty as the car rental company. Other car rental companies also offer rentals between the Orlando airport and the Cape Canaveral terminal (Dollar, Hertz, Avis & Budget.) Some websites like travelocity.com will allow you to get a quote from all of these renal companies at the same time.

Below is a cost comparison to rent a mini-van for our January 24th 2009 Disney cruise versus taking the Disney transfer.

In the below example I am going to modify our rental dates so it’s as close to an apples to apples comparison as possible.

We are a family of 5 so we need a big vehicle. I am posting prices for the rental of a mini-van. If you are a smaller family of four or less you may be able to lower your expense by selecting a smaller vehicle. If you are a family of 4 and can fit your family and luggage in a mid size vehicle like a Chrysler Sebring, the rental charges drop in half. For example, on the below date the rental for a Chrysler Sebring drops to $33.45.

Date: January 24, 2009

Pick up location:

Orlando airport (MCO)

Drop off location:

CAPE CANAVERAL, FL, USA (MU2)

6799 N. ATLANTIC AVENUE

CAPE CANAVERAL, FLORIDA 32920

Note: The car rental companies have a complementary shuttle that takes you back and forth between the Disney cruise terminal and the car rental lot. What we do is I drop off the family and our luggage at the cruise terminal. The family goes thru security and gets a boarding number and begins the check in process as I drop off the rental vehicle, less then a 5 minute drive directly south of the terminal. It’s actually more like a 2 minute drive, but if you hit every light it may take you 5 minutes. Then I take the free car rental facility shuttle back to the Disney terminal.

January 24 2009

Vehicle rental Mini van = $67.05/day

Drop off fee = $15

STATE TAX (6.5%) $6.18

Customer Facility Charge ($2.50 per day) $2.50

STATE TRANSACT TAX ($2.03 per day) $2.03

Vehicle Licensee Fee ($0.47 per day) $0.47

APT CONC RECOV FEE (9.8%) $8.09

Total Estimated Mandatory Charges (USD) $101.32

Estimated Grand Total (USD) $101.32 (price per thrifty website)

Rental to return from Cape Canaveral, FL (MU2) to the Orlando airport (MCO)

on January 31, 2008 $97.47 (price per thrifty website)

Total vehicle rental = $198.79

Tolls = $11.00 ($5.50/way)

Fuel = 48 miles each way x 2 = 96 miles. Let’s round to 100 miles at 20 MPG = 5 gallons of gas. Lets say $4/gallon = $20 fuel.

Total cost (rental = $198.79) Tolls ($11.00) Fuel ($20) = $229.79

Disney ground transfer @ 69/person x 5 people = $345*

#1) I did not include taxes and fees for the Disney transfers. I know they exist but I don’t have a breakdown.

#2) Last time we took the Disney transfer we were pushed hard for Tips. I was once told this is not allowed but someone must have forgotten to tell our driver.

#3) If you fly into Orlando before Saturday like us, renting a vehicle on your own makes even more sense since we don’t return to the airport on Saturday to get on the Disney shuttle at the start of our cruise. We drive directly to the port terminal with our rented vehicle.

TIP: If you decide to rent a vehicle and do it yourself. Before I leave home I print out maps and directions for free from mapquest.com and I bring my gamin GPS along. I enter all the waypoints in the gamin GPS before I leave home. Next vacation it’s as simple as recalling the destinations from the units memory.

Did you read the "I Work in Port Canaveral" thread?

It has everything you could possibly want to know about sailing from Port C. The folks are very, very helpful.

Shuttles, car rentals, hotels, shopping, dining - it's all there.

Ppeople ask these same questions over and over, although the answers are already posted. You can search within that thread for "airport shuttles" and I bet you'll go right to the posts with the info you need.

They were of tremendous help before we sailed in May. I love cruising out of Canaveral!

Archived