How rough would it have to be

emjay

I see a lot of people miss going to Grand Cayman.

Does anyone have any idea how rough it has to be to miss this port?

I was looking at the weather forcast and it stated windy (20-30)

seas rough 6-8

I know this isn't that bad when you are out to sea but is is bad enough to miss this port?

direction plays a major factor given that the harbor is what's called an "open roadstead", when the wind and seas are out of the east, the anchorage area is "in the lee" of the island. That is, it is on the sheltered side. However if conditions bring the winds and swells around so they are out of the west then things tend to get bouncy off Georgetown.

My DH was in town yesterday (he's currently on the island) and noticed that the cruise ships were anchored at the backup location, at Spott's Bay. The waves were 6-8 ft. He also mentioned that he hasn't noticed any boats out at Stingray City this week, and hasn't been out himself because it's been too rough.

We waved goodbye at Grand Caymen on Thursday, Nov 20, because of wind. You could see the waves breaking over the tender docks and we were told that the port was closed. We saw the 2 Carnival Ships, but didn't know if they were able to stay. All of our shore excursions were cancelled and Stingray City was closed. It was disappointing, but we got over it. I've made 3 attempts at GC and been there one time.....

We were there on Tues. the 18th. We had to dock at Spots Bay. Stingray City was closed. We were really looking forward to that, but safety first.

Where is Spots Bay and how easy is it to get to 7 Mile Beach or another swimming beach from there? Is there anything of interest walking distance from Spots Bay?

Grand Cayman has an alternate tendering site in Spotts. This is on the south shore about 3 miles east of the Harbour in George Town. The Spotts site is used mostly during the winter when occasionally the wind switches directions during the passing of a cold front. When the wind blows from the northwest the waves in the harbour are too large for normal tendering.

There is not much of anything of a commercial nature within walking distance to the Spotts dock. No restaurants. No shopping. There will be a large number of buses lined up to take you to George Town or to the various other attractions.

When the Spotts site is in use, there may be large waves coming ashore on Seven Mile Beach. Stingray City is more likely to be closed on these days too.

Where is Spots Bay and how easy is it to get to 7 Mile Beach or another swimming beach from there? Is there anything of interest walking distance from Spots Bay?

The taxis will be waiting to take you to whereever you want to go. It was 6 dollars each to take us into Georgetown. If it is first thing in the morning, the traffic is horrible. Their intersections are roundabouts (like our traffic circles). I think we saw maybe 2 traffic lights. It took about 1/2 an hour to get there. 7 Mile Beach was very rough. There were a few people in there, but you end up with a bathing suit full of sand.

The taxis will be waiting to take you to whereever you want to go. It was 6 dollars each to take us into Georgetown. If it is first thing in the morning, the traffic is horrible. Their intersections are roundabouts (like our traffic circles). I think we saw maybe 2 traffic lights. It took about 1/2 an hour to get there. 7 Mile Beach was very rough. There were a few people in there, but you end up with a bathing suit full of sand.

Is Rum Point a better beach option on a day like this or would the surf be too rough there as well? I want to be in the water!

Is Rum Point a better beach option on a day like this or would the surf be too rough there as well? I want to be in the water!

The wave conditions will likely be similar, and if you haven't pre-planned an excursion or rental car to get you to Rum Point, it isn't really a "last minute" sort of destination.

So if the port is cancelled I know the port fees are returned as obc, but what about the refund of the excursion itself, if you booked through the cruise line? Is that applied as obc or are you sol?:confused:

We've always had our excursion cost refunded as an OBC if the excursion was cancelled. This has happened to us only a couple times in all our cruises, every time due to weather. We usually cruise the Caribbean in late November/early December and have made it to Grand Cayman every time we've scheduled there (that being said, let's hope we have the same good luck this December!)

I have been communicating with some dive operators regarding scuba diving and weather conditions in Grand Cayman. They said that this time of year they avoid the North side of the island due to the strong Northern winds. They told us that we will have to dive on the West or South side of the island. I was also told that even though Stingray City is on the Northern side, it is protected by the reef. It sounds like it would be very rare that the boats would not be able to go out to Stingray City.

Archived