What side of ship is best for viewing from Hubbard Glacier to Vancouver

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo,

I agreed with 509eagle. If you crusing from Alaska to Vancouver, the "port" side of the ship provides the best vewing of pristine wilderness. We,ve completed two (2) Alaskan land/cruise and the views were always outstanding. If you would like to see some pics from our 2008 trip -- feel free. Sorry, some our pics have personal shots mixed in. Hit the slide show button and enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jjrusinack/Alaska2008#

Hi Jimbo,

I agreed with 509eagle. If you crusing from Alaska to Vancouver, the "port" side of the ship provides the best vewing of pristine wilderness. We,ve completed two (2) Alaskan land/cruise and the views were always outstanding. If you would like to see some pics from our 2008 trip -- feel free. Sorry, some our pics have personal shots mixed in. Hit the slide show button and enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jjrusinack/Alaska2008#

Great pictures, thanks

Actually the cruise starts in:

San Diego, California;

San Francisco, California;

Icy Strait Point, Alaska;

Hubbard Glacier (Cruising);

Skagway, Alaska;

Juneau, Alaska;

Ketchikan, Alaska;

Inside Passage (Cruising);

Vancouver, British Columbia

So which side of the ship is best?

Jimbo:)

When we cruise to Alaska we get a balcony cabin on the port side of the ship. However, for Hubbard Glacier and the turning point for Glacier Bay, we went up on deck so that we could get the full experience. I wanted to be able to move quickly in the direction of any calving we might be lucky enough to experience - I couldn't do that from my cabin. :)

When we cruise to Alaska we get a balcony cabin on the port side of the ship. However, for Hubbard Glacier and the turning point for Glacier Bay, we went up on deck so that we could get the full experience. I wanted to be able to move quickly in the direction of any calving we might be lucky enough to experience - I couldn't do that from my cabin. :)

So the side away from the land is best..Interesting.. We will be coming from the north like you. Portside it is , thanks!

Jimbo:)

We could only get a balcony on Starboard side but we were topside during Glacier Bay anyway.....our Captain entered the bay and then after stopping for a while in front of both glaciers - turned around and went back out, so we then went down to our balcony to view more as we left Glacier Bay. I think it was more fun topside....we were even featured on the ship's video of each port with the glaciers in the background.:D. Even if we did have a portside room we would have been topside probably.....

Either way , the scenery was breathtaking and we saw/heard lots of calving.

There is always this debate about which side is best but when the ships do the glacier viewing the ships turn so both sides see the glaciers plus a lot of pax prefer to see them from on deck so in my opinion it really doesn't matter. On a southbound trip the starboard side will provide nice sunsets if the weather is good; the port will provide sunrises and more sights of land but I kind of prefer the starboard side for going thru the Seymour Narrows.

Archived