Anyone been on the Oosterdam to Europe?

Piggy Cruiser

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The Oosterdam hasn't been to Europe since it was launched in 2003 (it has been doing Alaska every summer since), but the itinerary you have picked is a very good one. Hopefully, those who have sailed on the Noordam, Westerdam & Zuiderdam (Oosterdam's sister ships) can help you out with any ship-related details.

The cruise you are considering will be the first one after the Ooosterdam completes its major refit, as was done on the Westerdam and Zuiderdam in '07 and '08. There were reports after the Zuiderdam refit that it was sent out "not quite ready" in many respects, and work was still being done on its first cruise. However, I believe that the O'dam work is being done in a different shipyard, so this time it may be different. Just something else you might take into account on your itinerary choice. :)

Yes, you can purchase the transfer on one end only. We are on the cruise before yours...The San Diego to Rome...Using HALs transfer in San Diego, but staying three days in Rome on the other end, so doing our own transfers. All arranged by TA. EM

Thanks DMorris!

Besides, if I want to arrive Bacelona one day before the sailing commence, can I just purchase the post-cruise transfer and have my own transport arrangement upon arriving Barcelona?

In Barcelona, make sure you walk 'Las Ramblas', a wide boulevard that starts at the port (Port Vell) with lots of restaurants, shops, street performers, etc. (be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your wallet) - They also have a 'hop-hop off' bus that will give you a nice overview of the city and its attractions

Hi, Copper10-8,

Sure I will! Actually, I've been there before but normally less than 1 day as my previous cruise journeys normally ended at Barcelona. This will be the first time that I can really explore the city of Barcelona. :)

It's a nice city to explore - Try to take in a Flamenco dinner show - several of them along Las Ramblas

Iced Tea yes...

Juices in the mornings... not sure about after that or not.

The juices are available at all three meals, but they are only put out on the counters in the lido during breakfast. At other times you will have to request it from the lido staff, which I have never found to be a problem. The machines are just behind the counter, and whenever I have asked for juice at lunch or dinner they have gladly obliged.

Good to hear that. Thanks SarasMommy!

Between, is there any drink package available on HAL cruises, similar to that on Princess Cruises and Celebrity?

HAL has soda, cocktail (10 drinks) and wine (20 glasses) cards available for purchase that get "punched" by the server after ordering one or more

Hi Cooper 10-8, thanks for the info. If there are 3 of us travelling together, can we share to use the 10 drinks together? and how much does it cost?

Yes, you can purchase as many as you want on one card.

Soda card $20.70 (20 glasses)

Wine card $41.40 (10) or $77.63 (20)

Don't have the cost for the cocktail card anymore

Yes, you can purchase as many as you want on one card.

Soda card $20.70 (20 glasses)

Wine card $41.40 (10) or $77.63 (20)

Don't have the cost for the cocktail card anymore

10 cocktails $64.69.

BTW those prices include the 15% service charge. That's why they are "strange" amounts. The 10 glass wine card is really $36 plus 15%, etc.

Hi Piggy Cruiser,

haven't been on O yet - going next summer on a back to back. But the last two summers have been in the Med with HAL and really enjoyed. Oh and in July on the Zuiderdam there was some type of juice available all day long at the buffet. Also the ice cream bar is great. Itinery [sp] is top notch and plenty of chances to do your own thing,

good luck

Teresa

PS also good time of year in the Med not too crowded everywhere

How strict is the Dress Code on HAL? How many types of Dress Code they have?

Daytime dress is basic casual. Evening is either smart casual or formal. The compliance level varies.

Besides, are the buffet lounge (the hot drinks corner) opens for 24 hours?

The coffee/hot water machine is open 24/7. Food service starts early in the morning (6:00 AM for continental is usual), and ends about midnight.

There's also room service 24/7. The menu is less extensive from around 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

Archived