Compass Rewards certificates for more than post-deposit balance. Advice needed.

virginiab

Since the NCL credit card program as we know it (and loved it) is ending, I took a chance and sent in $1500 worth of Compass Rewards certificates to cover my $1447.48 cruise cost. The $1447.48 includes a $250 deposit (under the program where you pay $250 while on a previous cruise and get an immediate refund of $100 into your onboard account on that previous cruise) as well as the balance, all of which had been paid off by the time I sent in my certificates. My hope was to cover the entire $1447.48 cost and to just write off the extra $52.52 on the certificates as just another lost credit card reward program.

I've been watching my credit card balance online and a refund from NCL showed up today for $1097.48, which is a little mystifying. This is short not by $250, which might be for the deposit, but by $350. I'd like to discuss this with someone at NCL and would appreciate any advice and contact info for the right person to call. I'd also appreciate any stories about similar experiences and the outcome.

Thanks for your help!

Virginia

Since the NCL credit card program as we know it (and loved it) is ending, I took a chance and sent in $1500 worth of Compass Rewards certificates to cover my $1447.48 cruise cost. The $1447.48 includes a $250 deposit (under the program where you pay $250 while on a previous cruise and get an immediate refund of $100 into your onboard account on that previous cruise) as well as the balance, all of which had been paid off by the time I sent in my certificates. My hope was to cover the entire $1447.48 cost and to just write off the extra $52.52 on the certificates as just another lost credit card reward program.

I've been watching my credit card balance online and a refund from NCL showed up today for $1097.48, which is a little mystifying. This is short not by $250, which might be for the deposit, but by $350. I'd like to discuss this with someone at NCL and would appreciate any advice and contact info for the right person to call. I'd also appreciate any stories about similar experiences and the outcome.

Thanks for your help!

Virginia

The difference MIGHT be that we have been told on several occasions that the certs can not be used for taxes, port charges and fees. Now.. with that said.. We have sailed with NCL four times. Three of them we had comp'ed rooms from CAS where we had to pay the taxes, port charges and fees. We were told two of the three times we could not use certs to pay for those, but on the first one we were able to use certs to pay them. So I do not know if even NCL knows for sure.

I am sure there will be people who will post saying they used certs to pay for the entire amount, which we have .. and surely there are people out there who have been told you can not pay the taxes, port charges and fees, just like we were told. So this is just a guess as to why you may not have gotten the full credit you were expecting.

Thanks, Terry and/or Doug for trying to make sense of this for me. That MAY be it, but the $350 amount seems suspiciously round to be taxes and fees. I'm hoping someone will have a good number to call to discuss it with someone at NCL.

Virginia

Thanks, Terry and/or Doug for trying to make sense of this for me. That MAY be it, but the $350 amount seems suspiciously round to be taxes and fees. I'm hoping someone will have a good number to call to discuss it with someone at NCL.

Virginia

Oh I think you should call them for sure. I would think the main NCL number would be able to look up the info for you. But maybe someone will have a better number and will post it. Let us know what you find out. We have $1500.00 in certs we may not be able to use unless we can get a family cruise figured out for 2010.

I'd call for sure (the main number or your PCC should work) and ask. For our Dec '07 cruise, I sent in $1,500 (3 certs). While our scenrio didn't include the $250 "future cruise deposit" payment, for some reason, the certs were applied in wierd amounts, not as 3 $500 payments and had may different posting dates even though they were all received together. In the end, they were all applied, but I did call an inquire as to why/how they were getting applied and no one knew the rhyme/reason.

Here's my update. Today there was an additional amount charged back to my credit card, so I was still paying the $250 deposit but nothing else. I called the customer service number and they transferred me to Payment Applications. After a brief insistence that my travel agent would have to handle this (She's in Europe until the middle of my cruise), the agent talked to a supervisoe and they are going to refund the $250 deposit and I will forfeit the $60-something dollars left on my certificate.

This is EXACTLY the outcome I was hoping for when I sent in my Compass Rewards Certificates, so I am one happy cruiser!

Archived