Conquest vs Fantasy class

okstpat

There is something about the Fantasy class that I just really like. The open deck space at the back is a big plus for me. ( although it is being filled with waterslides now ) I see that on the Splendor & Dream they have opened up that area on the back again, which I think I will enjoy once I see them.

Conquest was great, but I do not like the layout of the main pool area. It feels really confined to me. Certainly nothing that would keep me off the ship in the future.

Other than size and more people?

I love the Fantasy class and then sailed Miracle, which I think is the perfect ship (except for the purple grapes). I was worried that Glory would be WAY more ship than I'd like.

There were some things I really liked, like the dedicated sushi bar, the Fish & Chips, and the fact that I couldn't even tell we were moving most of the time.

I don't hang around the main pool area, but it's difficult to navigate through there even. I wasn't happy that the aft pool wasn't adults-only like it is on Spirit class ships, and didn't like the "walled in" feeling back there with the glass surrounding it.

They're huge ships, but the space ratio is slightly better than Fantasy-class. Again, Spirit class has the best. But when all those people are packed into the buffet trying to stuff their faces at the same time, the lines can be pretty long.

I liked the Glory better than I expected, but it was a great itinerary with wonderful weather, which is more important to me. I sail for the ports, not so much for the ship, so it just doesn't have much of an impact on me.

Looking forward to returning to a Fantasy class ship in a couple of weeks. Wondering whether it will feel like returning "home" or feel like I'm missing some of the things the bigger, newer ships have to offer. I'm betting it will be the 1st scenario, not the 2nd.

I did Ecstasy but wasnt that wild about her. The conquest to me is much prettier. We had a 5A on Ecstasy and the 1A (now 6b) on Conquest with two windows. We liked being in the aft better for convience. I liked the Conquest better, but the Ecstasy for the money is such a bargain.

You will love the Conquest, very pretty ship and doesnt look as dated. It has a next cruise booking kiosk next to the sushi bar which the ecstasy doesnt have. Conquest has surmer right above the buffet which most people never seem to find, very quiet. I only tried the fried oysters, but hear the fish and chips is also great. More food options. Conquest has the Asian side (opposite the deli side) where you can order stir fried choices for Oriental food. All free.

I wasn't happy that the aft pool wasn't adults-only like it is on Spirit class ships, and didn't like the "walled in" feeling back there with the glass surrounding it.

I thought I saw a adults only sign. It wasnt adults only?? I sure thought it was. Never saw children in that pool either. Has it changed since Sept?

I loved the Fantasy maybe because it was our first cruise. Conquest was really nice but hard to get around.We got lost everyday.:) I really liked the intimacy of the smaller ships.The only thing about Fantasy I did not like was the smell on the lower decks and the fact they have no balcony rooms other than the suites. We are going back on Conquest in Feb. because DH loved it. :)

I have been on the Fantasy, Ecstasy, Conquest, and Glory. I VERY MUCH prefer the Conquest class ships over the Fantasy class! I tend to refer to the difference as WalMart vs Macy's. But I guess the main reason I like the bigger ships is that there is less movement than on the smaller ones. I have never felt that side to side sway on the Conquest ships like I have on the Fantasy class. That's what makes me seasick! Other than that, the Conquest seems to be more professionally run, with more to offer. As mentioned, you have your fish & chips and the supper club, both of which are "must do's", on the Conquest.

The one problem with the Conquest is that it takes a while to learn the layout and find your way around. The first few days, you will observe people standing around the elevators with a dazed and confused look on their faces, as they try to find the dining rooms. The key to navigating the Conquest is to always go up or down to deck 5 (Promenade) or 9 (Lido), to go from one end of the ship to the other. If you remember this, you will do fine. Prepare yourself to become addicted to the Conquest! ;)

I did Ecstasy but wasnt that wild about her. The conquest to me is much prettier. We had a 5A on Ecstasy and the 1A (now 6b) on Conquest with two windows. We liked being in the aft better for convience. I liked the Conquest better, but the Ecstasy for the money is such a bargain.

You will love the Conquest, very pretty ship and doesnt look as dated. It has a next cruise booking kiosk next to the sushi bar which the ecstasy doesnt have. Conquest has surmer right above the buffet which most people never seem to find, very quiet. I only tried the fried oysters, but hear the fish and chips is also great. More food options. Conquest has the Asian side (opposite the deli side) where you can order stir fried choices for Oriental food. All free.

Hey, wasn't that cabin great? We had 2465, not only was it spacious, but we loved the two windows. Easy access to the dining room as well.

Hey, wasn't that cabin great? We had 2465, not only was it spacious, but we loved the two windows. Easy access to the dining room as well.

My friend and I booked one of these cabins on the LAST day they were classified as 1A, so we got the last bargain price. :D I had to argue with my PVP about it, because he didn't believe me that there were two beds on the floor. I assured him that there were, because I had read it here on CC. The next day, he called to apologize and to tell me that I was right. Gotta love CC!! ;)

The aft hot tubs on Glory were adults only, but not the pool. But as I've never even been IN a pool on a ship, it wasn't a big deal. Just that on Miracle, the kiddies weren't back there at all, which was great! :D

People, please stop with the WalMart references. It's the same cruiseline. It's the same food. It's the same entertainment. Everything's the same except the ship.

But if sailing for about $45 per person/per day on my upcoming Fascination makes me a bargain hunter, well, then, I'm fine with that! Why the heck should I pay more for the same thing?

Again, if you sail for the ports (and I'm not really sure why people cruise if it isn't to get to multiple, beautiful tropical islands on one vacation), then the ship isn't such a factor. Not to me, at least. If I was into beautiful, elegant ships, I probably wouldn't be sailing Carnival!

Some of us don't need or want bigger, newer, more bells and whistles. In fact, I prefer to NOT pay for things I don't want, need, or use.

I've been on Fantasy-class sailings that were very smooth. I've been on one where I was green the whole time. And the side-to-side movement on Miracle was the most I've ever felt.

It varies. The over-generalizations don't provide much insight, imho.

The aft hot tubs on Glory were adults only, but not the pool. But as I've never even been IN a pool on a ship, it wasn't a big deal. Just that on Miracle, the kiddies weren't back there at all, which was great! :D

People, please stop with the WalMart references. It's the same cruiseline. It's the same food. It's the same entertainment. Everything's the same except the ship.

But if sailing for about $45 per person/per day on my upcoming Fascination makes me a bargain hunter, well, then, I'm fine with that! Why the heck should I pay more for the same thing?

Again, if you sail for the ports (and I'm not really sure why people cruise if it isn't to get to multiple, beautiful tropical islands on one vacation), then the ship isn't such a factor. Not to me, at least. If I was into beautiful, elegant ships, I probably wouldn't be sailing Carnival!

Some of us don't need or want bigger, newer, more bells and whistles. In fact, I prefer to NOT pay for things I don't want, need, or use.

I've been on Fantasy-class sailings that were very smooth. I've been on one where I was green the whole time. And the side-to-side movement on Miracle was the most I've ever felt.

It varies. The over-generalizations don't provide much insight, imho.

Opinions are like belly buttons. We all have one (or most of us do), and they don't all match. I gave mine; you gave yours. No need to make a big deal out of it if our opinions don't match. ;) The OP didn't ask whether or not you like the Fantasy class ships or for a comparison to Spirit class. They asked for a comparison between Fantasy class and Conquest. I gave my opinion based on my personal experience of 2 Fantasy class cruises and 4 Conquest class cruises. And I remain steadfast on that opinion. :D

My friend and I booked one of these cabins on the LAST day they were classified as 1A, so we got the last bargain price. :D I had to argue with my PVP about it, because he didn't believe me that there were two beds on the floor. I assured him that there were, because I had read it here on CC. The next day, he called to apologize and to tell me that I was right. Gotta love CC!! ;)

Congrats, you will love them. They are a little noisy the first night, but after that, they did not bother us at all. We paid the 1A rate for them, but we also think they are worth the 6B price!

Thanks for all the info. I have always had a blast on the Ecstasy and the Fantasy and I am sure I will have a blast on the Conquest. I am just a little nervous about the extra people (longer lines etc.) So just to make sure the fish and chips place is right above the dining room? and the oriental place is right accross from the deli/pizza place?

Thanks,

Okstpat

Thanks for all the info. I have always had a blast on the Ecstasy and the Fantasy and I am sure I will have a blast on the Conquest. I am just a little nervous about the extra people (longer lines etc.) So just to make sure the fish and chips place is right above the dining room? and the oriental place is right accross from the deli/pizza place?

Thanks,

Okstpat

There are more people but also more dining options and more floor space. I don't think you will find any long lines. :) The fish & chips place is above the Lido buffet. There is a staircase next to the buffet dessert bar that leads to Sur Mer, the fish & chips place. Many people miss it, because they can't find it. You may find a short line there, because each dish is prepared to order. But it will be worth the short wait! I'm not sure about the Oriental place....we've never tried that one. But I don't recall seeing it near the pizza place.

Opinions are like belly buttons. We all have one (or most of us do), and they don't all match. I gave mine; you gave yours. No need to make a big deal out of it if our opinions don't match. ;) The OP didn't ask whether or not you like the Fantasy class ships or for a comparison to Spirit class. They asked for a comparison between Fantasy class and Conquest. I gave my opinion based on my personal experience of 2 Fantasy class cruises and 4 Conquest class cruises. And I remain steadfast on that opinion. :D

Fine. Just leave out the WalMart stuff, as though if you sail the Fantasy-class ships you're somehow a bottom feeder.

You can give your opinion without putting in the needless, backhanded insults to those of us who actually like that class ship.

I even like - gasp - inside cabins on the lower decks!

So not only do I prefer the older, small, cheaper ships, I like the inside cabins on the lower decks AND I'm not a bottled water snob! Sometimes I wonder how I manage to exist in this state! :p

Thanks,

Okstpat

I probably didnt describe it quite right saying that. The deli window is on one side of the buffet and the oriental is on the other side, as in port and starboard side, completely opposite sides of the buffet there is a window for each on the Conquest.

Some other ships have mongolian beef instead of the oriental, but Conquest has oriental.

PS the pizza is in the aft, back by the adult section. Not with the deli on this ship like it was on Ecstasy. Its on port side. there is some other food on the starboard side in the board.

Fine. Just leave out the WalMart stuff, as though if you sail the Fantasy-class ships you're somehow a bottom feeder.

You can give your opinion without putting in the needless, backhanded insults to those of us who actually like that class ship.

I even like - gasp - inside cabins on the lower decks!

So not only do I prefer the older, small, cheaper ships, I like the inside cabins on the lower decks AND I'm not a bottled water snob! Sometimes I wonder how I manage to exist in this state! :p

Sorry, but you have it all wrong. If you noticed my signature, you'll see that I have future cruises booked on the Ecstasy, Conquest, and Freedom. I'm anything but a snob! I truly would love to enjoy the smaller ships as much as I do the Conquest class, because then I could take more cruises. But due to the particular motion on them, I have to be medicated for seasickness prevention, which keeps me from enjoying my cruise as much. I don't have to use seasick meds on the Conquest class ships, even in rough water.

In the WalMart to Macy's comparison, I meant "simple" compared to "deluxe". That's all. No need to get your feelings hurt, because I said nothing that was meant as an insult at all. I will still cruise on the Ecstasy, but I much prefer the Conquest. If that makes me a snob in your eyes, I'm sorry. But you're wrong. :p

It sounds like there is alot more food options on the Conquest vs. the Ecstasy. Does the Conquest have they poolside movie screen and the waterworks stuff? The Carnival ship tour was a bit confusing to me.

okstpat

The Conquest is scheduled for drydock in January, and it is my understanding that they will add the poolside movie screen at that time. I'm not sure about the waterworks stuff. That might be limited to the Fantasy class ships.

I realize the Triumph is not a Conquest class ship, but it's very similar, right?

Does the Triumph also have the Sur Mer above the Lido restaurant?

I believe someone said the Triumph does not have the fish & chips but does have a supper club. I was hoping someone who has been on the Triumph would answer this for you. Maybe you should ask it in a separate thread. :)

Archived