Tour With Woody Reviews?

lisaannm

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the more in depth review, sue, we are going to be there very soon, so looking forward to this tour with woody:D

Hi Susiefay...

Thank you for telling Woody "Hi" from me today!! Hope you enjoyed your tour of Dominica as well!!!

Hope your having a fantastic cruise this week!!

Enjoy,

Sue

Hi Susiefay...

Thank you for telling Woody "Hi" from me today!! Hope you enjoyed your tour of Dominica as well!!!

Hope your having a fantastic cruise this week!!

Enjoy,

Sue

you are very welcome sue! just want to let everyone else out there thinking about what to do in Dominica, Woody is it. Hands down, the best day we have ever enjoyed on a tour:D Woody is an amazing gentleman, very knowledgable and articulate. (and, sue you are right handsome too!) we usually only do beach type tours, but this included land and beach. and might i add, my new favorite beach in the caribbean!!

if anyone has any questions, please ask and i will share anything i can. oh and contrary to other previous posts, there are bathroom breaks:rolleyes:

and the best, not kidding, rum punch i have ever had...and i dont usually like rum punch:p

you are very welcome sue! just want to let everyone else out there thinking about what to do in Dominica, Woody is it. Hands down, the best day we have ever enjoyed on a tour:D Woody is an amazing gentleman, very knowledgable and articulate. (and, sue you are right handsome too!) we usually only do beach type tours, but this included land and beach. and might i add, my new favorite beach in the caribbean!!

if anyone has any questions, please ask and i will share anything i can. oh and contrary to other previous posts, there are bathroom breaks:rolleyes:

and the best, not kidding, rum punch i have ever had...and i dont usually like rum punch:p

I am so happy to hear this. We are scheduled with Woody in May. What time did you meet in the morning and about what time did you get back? Also, did you spend alot of time on the beach? I am sooo looking forward to this. Last year, my daughter and I just grabbed a taxi and we went to all the touristy spots, so Woody's tour seemed much different which is why we picked it. It sounds like we will not be disappointed.

Glad to hear about the bathrooms, too haha!

Should we wear our swimsuits or is there somewhere to change? Also, do you do any kind of hiking through rough areas where any special shoes are needed or can we just wear sandals? Any other tidbits?? Thanks so much for the info!:)

VTmom, you will have an awesome time with woody, wish we were back there now! He met us across the street from where the boat docked, a bit before 8:30am, and dropped us off aside the dock at about 4:15pm. We stayed at this secluded beach for about 2 hours, could have stayed all day!

I wore water sandals and the other gal on the tour with us just wore flip flops. I also wore my suit under my clothes, she did not and changed behind a tree. No problem! But there are no facilities on the beach, which is even more perfect!

I don't want to spoil it for you, so all i will say is go and soak up all you can from the day. The island is truly unspoiled still and beautiful, and Woody is a great guide. You will be able to take your time and see noone else for most of the day.......sheer bliss! can't wait to hear about your adventure, help me relive mine!

VTmom, you will have an awesome time with woody, wish we were back there now! He met us across the street from where the boat docked, a bit before 8:30am, and dropped us off aside the dock at about 4:15pm. We stayed at this secluded beach for about 2 hours, could have stayed all day!

I wore water sandals and the other gal on the tour with us just wore flip flops. I also wore my suit under my clothes, she did not and changed behind a tree. No problem! But there are no facilities on the beach, which is even more perfect!

I don't want to spoil it for you, so all i will say is go and soak up all you can from the day. The island is truly unspoiled still and beautiful, and Woody is a great guide. You will be able to take your time and see noone else for most of the day.......sheer bliss! can't wait to hear about your adventure, help me relive mine!

Thanks so much for the info! I am really looking forward to it. I will let you know all about it when we return (if we do return, maybe I will just run into the rainforest and hide until the ship departs haha).

We loved Woody! We were in Dominica last Monday(1/12/09) and toured with Woody. There were 5 of us and we agree with everything the above poster just wrote. Woody was fun to be with and a fabulous ambassador of his island. The only 2 snags, and things you would want to prepare and arrange in advance for are,

1.there is no lunch break

2. no bathroom breaks

We could have used both, but didn't want to slow the momentum of the excursion.

We were out for 7 hours and Woody charge us $75.00/pp. He provided drinks and fresh pineapple slices. His Land Rover got us places that other groups couldn't get to in the bigger vans. Additionally, there was just us...it was our personal tour of this beautiful island. We passed a couple of tour groups who had hiked from a main road to get to a waterfall he took us to. We had a short hike from a small trail.

We would definitely recommend Woody and hope you have as lovely a day as we did.

Woody lets you know up front there are snacks and drinks provided...they were perfect for us, fresh fruit, and homemade banana bread that was a big "yum". Rum punch, water, and local beer to drink.

If we had wanted lunch, he would have taken us somewhere to buy lunch.

If you need a bathroom break, just ask and he will gladly stop. :)

Woody's tour was awesome and worth the money. Everywhere we went the scenery was breathtaking and he told us about the island history etc.

I have a picture of the "secluded" beach we were priviledged to go to as my screensaver and everytime I see it, it takes me back, and I am reminded of how it is one of the most memorable excursions I have ever taken. Thanks Woody!

Gail :)

• 3 weeks later...
Woody lets you know up front there are snacks and drinks provided...they were perfect for us, fresh fruit, and homemade banana bread that was a big "yum". Rum punch, water, and local beer to drink.

If we had wanted lunch, he would have taken us somewhere to buy lunch.

If you need a bathroom break, just ask and he will gladly stop. :)

Woody's tour was awesome and worth the money. Everywhere we went the scenery was breathtaking and he told us about the island history etc.

I have a picture of the "secluded" beach we were priviledged to go to as my screensaver and everytime I see it, it takes me back, and I am reminded of how it is one of the most memorable excursions I have ever taken. Thanks Woody!

Gail :)

Just got back from Woody's tour and agree with everything Gail stated. Since I have more fun on the ship to enjoy, I will post more after we get back home. :D

Jen

We toured with Woody on March 30th off the Carnival Victory after I found out about him here. My sister, 10 yo niece and 11 yo friend and I went along with a young honeymooning couple from the UK. Our ship arrived at 10am and we were greeted by Woody as we got off the ship. IT was a rainy morning but it did clear up. We drove around the island, went to Jaco Falls..had a stop at a beach where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed, but the highlight was the offroad trip down to a secluded beach where only a few locals were hanging out. Woody treated us to whatever drinks we wanted, fresh watermelon, coconut bread, banana bread. He also had a container of munchy snacks for the girls!

It was by far one of our best tours and we would not hesitate to book him again! Very relaxing and you see alot of the island and not alot of tour buses and people!! Nice!

There has been some question about whether or not Woody takes bathroom breaks, I guess b/c of what someone wrote on tripadvisor. earlier in this thread I posted my email addresss so people can email me for reviews, pictures, etc. These days all I am getting asked ALOT about whether or not Woody takes bathroom breaks. This weekend I got two emails and both included the bathroom question, so I decided to come here to answer it as well, for those who may be wondering but not emailing.

First of all, if you have to go to the bathroom, speak up!!! Woody is not a mind reader, if you don't say to stop he isn't going to know you have to go to the bathroom. Woody is very friendly, and personable, you will hopefully be having a blast and talking with him the entire time like we were, so of course when I had to go to the bathroom, we asked, and we stopped at a little store to go. Simple. Done. It's truly that easy!!! :D I'm sure if you mention that you would like however many bathroom breaks from the very beginning, rather than waiting until you have to go, he would break it up that way as well for you.

Please don't even think twice about such a thing when you are deciding whether or not to book with him. He is VERY accomodating to your every need, especially this need!

There has been some question about whether or not Woody takes bathroom breaks, I guess b/c of what someone wrote on tripadvisor. earlier in this thread I posted my email addresss so people can email me for reviews, pictures, etc. These days all I am getting asked ALOT about whether or not Woody takes bathroom breaks. This weekend I got two emails and both included the bathroom question, so I decided to come here to answer it as well, for those who may be wondering but not emailing.

First of all, if you have to go to the bathroom, speak up!!! Woody is not a mind reader, if you don't say to stop he isn't going to know you have to go to the bathroom. Woody is very friendly, and personable, you will hopefully be having a blast and talking with him the entire time like we were, so of course when I had to go to the bathroom, we asked, and we stopped at a little store to go. Simple. Done. It's truly that easy!!! :D I'm sure if you mention that you would like however many bathroom breaks from the very beginning, rather than waiting until you have to go, he would break it up that way as well for you.

Please don't even think twice about such a thing when you are deciding whether or not to book with him. He is VERY accomodating to your every need, especially this need!

I have to agree with Lisa..this is such a silly point to make about a tour. People leave the cruise ship and they suddenly forget to speak their mind and ask for things!

We actually had two bathroom stop opportunities. The 1st was at Jaco Falls. We stopped there early in the tour and I recall just using the bathroom to wash my hands from the fruit we ate at the stand there. At the end of the tour, he drove us to this other beach where alot of the cruise ship people go (don't ask me the name..I don't know!) and we were able to go to the bathroom..well the kids did. Surprisingly once off the ship, the girls (10 and 11) forgot about food and were having so much fun, hardly ate anything..probably saving room for their dinner shrimp cocktails and desserts onboard.

I also laugh at the "no lunch break" comment. Geez people...give your stomachs a rest from all that decadent cruise food for breakfast and dinner. Have a big breakfast and you really will not even think about a big lunch. Woody's snacks are fine and if you REALLY insist on needing more..ask him to stop for more food!

Don't miss out on an awesome day because you are afraid to ask for EXTRA food and potty breaks!

Edited by maygoddess

And yes - that too - hissnacks are fabulous AND plentiful! and had we asked for more we would have been given it (he asks you ahead of time via email what you would like).

Breakfast is available way before the ship docks so eat a good breakfast - and by the time you re-board and get dressed and showered up its time for dinner again!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We have just got back from our cruise and toured with Woody on the 30th April. We had an absolutely fantastic time and I would certainly recommend to all going there. Woody was a fantastic guy and the snacks and drinks were plentiful! With regards to the whole rest room breaks I wouldn't have had any hesitation asking Woody to stop for one, he is a friendly guy and would certainly book again if we go back.

All of your reviews sound wonderful! I just emailed Woody for information for our cruise in September.

Does he offer a tour for just us as a couple?..... we are not traveling with any friends this trip.

Edited by blonde375

All of your reviews sound wonderful! I just emailed Woody for information for our cruise in September.

Does he offer a tour for just us as a couple?..... we are not traveling with any friends this trip.

I leave next weekend for our cruise and am traveling with just my daughter and her boyfriend and the 3 of us are booked with Woody. So you can definitely schedule a tour with Woody for just the two of you. I am very excited about this tour. I did a taxi-type tour last year that I just grabbed at the pier and it was nice. But this tour looks very unique since he goes to places most tour operators do not go. I will post our experience when I return.

I leave next weekend for our cruise and am traveling with just my daughter and her boyfriend and the 3 of us are booked with Woody. So you can definitely schedule a tour with Woody for just the two of you. I am very excited about this tour. I did a taxi-type tour last year that I just grabbed at the pier and it was nice. But this tour looks very unique since he goes to places most tour operators do not go. I will post our experience when I return.

Can't wait to hear about your trip when you return!

Safe travels to you and your family!!

I guess someone else has made this question before, but I couldn't find the answer here.

I haven't decided if taking Woody or Levi on our cruise in june. I contacted both and they seem differently good. Levi's is cheaper and goes to the regular places but Woody promises to take us to the "real" dominica and do more stuff.

What do you think? Has any of you taken both? thanks for you help.

Cheers

Haven't taken both, but we toured with Woody last week and had a blast. Would highly recommend him. We saw much of the country, swam at a beautiful beach and thoroughly enjoyed his rum punch!!! One of the most fun tours we've ever had.

Linda

Haven't taken both, but we toured with Woody last week and had a blast. Would highly recommend him. We saw much of the country, swam at a beautiful beach and thoroughly enjoyed his rum punch!!! One of the most fun tours we've ever had.

Linda

Lauren, do you know which Falls you visited? Was the beach a black sand beach?

Thanks for your help!

We just returned from our May cruise and we toured Dominica with Woody on May 25th. There were 3 of us - my 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend (also 20) and myself. We met Woody across the street from where the Victory docked at 8:30 am and we were on our way.

Woody showed us a map of where we would be traveling and where we would make various stops. Along the way, he shared so much information and history about Dominica. He is a great ambassador for his island! His tour is named "Off the Beaten Trail" for a good reason. With Woody, you see the heart of Dominica that most tourists do not have the chance to see. He takes you in his Land Rover (which is very cool) and so you get to go to places where the typical tour operator could not get to. My favorite part of the day was a private beach he took us to. It was spectacular. There is really nothing like drinking wine in the ocean while you look at a secluded beach with basically no one else there! A local woman and her dog were there on the beach and we had a great time talking to her and playing Frisbee with her dog in the ocean. This day was truly the highlight of our entire cruise. My daughter and her bf also thought this was the best day of the trip - even beating zip lining in St. Lucia and snorkeling with turtles in St. Thomas, so I think that pretty much says it all!! We spent a few hours here and it was very hard to leave!!!

Our first stop of the day was Jaco Falls and we were the only ones there. Other tours stop there later in the day, but Woody has the day planned in such a way that you miss the crowds. If you go there, be sure to sample the fresh fruits. There were so many fruits I had never even heard of and they were delicious! We also stopped at a black sand beach for a pretty view and to have some of Woody's yummy snacks, fruits and rum punch. There were also 2 or 3 opportunities to use the bathrooms, so that is not an issue at all. We stopped at a local resort and looked around the property and saw the beautiful beach there. There were so many iguanas and lizards that you could get so close to and we got some great pictures of them. Woody took us back to the ship about 45 mins to an hour before departure time, so it was plenty of time to shop around the pier if we had wanted to do so.

As a side note, Woody is the first Olympian from Dominica and has a degree in military history and political science (I think). He has traveled around the world and has lived and studied abroad for many years as well. I think this background gives him a great perspective and helps make him a very special person and tour guide. If there was a rating system here, I would give Woody the highest rating possible. The experience is so unique, his hospitality is wonderful and you get a real appreciation for the unspoiled beauty of Dominica.

If you go to Dominica, this tour is definitely a "must do"! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in contact with WOODY, he is offering our Carnival Victory stop for just myself and my DW.... $250.00..... all day..... drinks, food and the best tour promised. I have a friend who traveled with him in Feb 2010 and still can't stop talking about her time with "WOODY"... He is on Facebook as Woody Dominica.Ed & Brookie

I have been in contact with WOODY, he is offering our Carnival Victory stop for just myself and my DW.... $250.00..... all day..... drinks, food and the best tour promised. I have a friend who traveled with him in Feb 2010 and still can't stop talking about her time with "WOODY"... He is on Facebook as Woody Dominica.Ed & Brookie

It is the best tour, just as he promises! You will not be disappointed. Woody is a fantastic guide and person. Enjoy your day