Tour With Woody Reviews?

lisaannm

We just returned from our May cruise and we toured Dominica with Woody on May 25th. There were 3 of us - my 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend (also 20) and myself. We met Woody across the street from where the Victory docked at 8:30 am and we were on our way.

Woody showed us a map of where we would be traveling and where we would make various stops. Along the way, he shared so much information and history about Dominica. He is a great ambassador for his island! His tour is named "Off the Beaten Trail" for a good reason. With Woody, you see the heart of Dominica that most tourists do not have the chance to see. He takes you in his Land Rover (which is very cool) and so you get to go to places where the typical tour operator could not get to. My favorite part of the day was a private beach he took us to. It was spectacular. There is really nothing like drinking wine in the ocean while you look at a secluded beach with basically no one else there! A local woman and her dog were there on the beach and we had a great time talking to her and playing Frisbee with her dog in the ocean. This day was truly the highlight of our entire cruise. My daughter and her bf also thought this was the best day of the trip - even beating zip lining in St. Lucia and snorkeling with turtles in St. Thomas, so I think that pretty much says it all!! We spent a few hours here and it was very hard to leave!!!

Our first stop of the day was Jaco Falls and we were the only ones there. Other tours stop there later in the day, but Woody has the day planned in such a way that you miss the crowds. If you go there, be sure to sample the fresh fruits. There were so many fruits I had never even heard of and they were delicious! We also stopped at a black sand beach for a pretty view and to have some of Woody's yummy snacks, fruits and rum punch. There were also 2 or 3 opportunities to use the bathrooms, so that is not an issue at all. We stopped at a local resort and looked around the property and saw the beautiful beach there. There were so many iguanas and lizards that you could get so close to and we got some great pictures of them. Woody took us back to the ship about 45 mins to an hour before departure time, so it was plenty of time to shop around the pier if we had wanted to do so.

As a side note, Woody is the first Olympian from Dominica and has a degree in military history and political science (I think). He has traveled around the world and has lived and studied abroad for many years as well. I think this background gives him a great perspective and helps make him a very special person and tour guide. If there was a rating system here, I would give Woody the highest rating possible. The experience is so unique, his hospitality is wonderful and you get a real appreciation for the unspoiled beauty of Dominica.

If you go to Dominica, this tour is definitely a "must do"! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Ditto...ditto and ditto! We took Woodys tour back in November and he was awesome! He delivers what he promises and is a really nice guy. We wish him MUCH success! We're thinking about going back next year and I will for sure book Woody. He books up quickly so if you want a good tour...contact him now.

Edited by Little Pita

It is the best tour, just as he promises! You will not be disappointed. Woody is a fantastic guide and person. Enjoy your day

VTmom, Thanks for the well wishes..... Little Pita, I did book with Woody, also we are "Friends" on Facebook.

Brookie & Ed:D

Edited by VictoryLover2
/////////////////////////

Just tried again. I hope I get a response. It looks like a great tour !

His facebook is actually woodydominica and not woody dominica...no space. He is on FB daily so if you go there and friend him and then you can chat there. That is how I hooked up with him for our tour. We still chat! New friend! Great guy! You will have a good time!

• 2 months later...

Woody is the absolute best tour guide we have ever had through the caribbean

You will have the best day with him. We went last Feb and we are going again this Feb.! A big reason we chose the cruise is because it stops at Dominica and we could see Woody again:o

Great day:D

• 3 months later...

We toured with Woody in Dec. We were 2 cars. He contracts with Tana, for the second car if needed. It's best if you're no more than 4 people in each car. Additional people have to sit in the back, outside. You can not hear what's being said, and it's a bumpy ride.

We all had a great day. We made a few stops along the way for photos, or walks on the beach. Our last stop was the "real, off road adventure". Down a rocky path to a secluded beach. We ate at that beach, and had a swim.

Woody is very friendly and talkative. He makes everyone feel comfortable.

You see parts of the island that no one else will see. He also appears to know everyone we passed on the island. We even passed his dad, his aunt and cousins. He really loves his island and will share with you lots of stories from his childhood and his travels.

We all carried toilet paper and sanitizer. It's not that he doesn't want to make bathroom stops, it's an off road tour and there aren't many places to stop. If you can't wait, there is always the woods.

All in all, a great day. I highly recommend him

Linda

We toured with Woody in Dec. We were 2 cars. He contracts with Tana, for the second car if needed. It's best if you're no more than 4 people in each car. Additional people have to sit in the back, outside. You can not hear what's being said, and it's a bumpy ride.

We all had a great day. We made a few stops along the way for photos, or walks on the beach. Our last stop was the "real, off road adventure". Down a rocky path to a secluded beach. We ate at that beach, and had a swim.

We all carried toilet paper and sanitizer. It's not that he doesn't want to make bathroom stops, it's an off road tour and there aren't many places to stop. If you can't wait, there is always the woods.

All in all, a great day. I highly recommend him

Linda

Linda, Thanks so much for the info. What was the charge? Thank you...

Linda, Thanks so much for the info. What was the charge? Thank you...

Since we had 10 people, he charged $80 pp. I believe the cost is $95 pp if you have 4 people.

The best way to get him is to friend him on FB at Woody Dominica.

His shutterfly site is second best way to reach him.

Linda

If all else fails, his email address is adquatics at yahoo dot com

We were with Woody just last week. My husband and I booked him privately and it was $250 for the entire day. If you really want to experience the island and see what it's all about Woody is a great choice. He's fun, has a great personality and knows a TON about the island. The private beach where you have lunch is gorgeous and is worth the bumpy ride! Highly recommended.

Are there set tours for Woody? I really couldn't find any and wondered how he did things.

Woody drives you all around the island. You cover 110 miles by the time you're done. It's alot of driving and a few stops. The last 2 stops include some beach time. The one beach stop is way on the other side of the island and he serves you some lunch snacks at the beach.

We toured with Woody last February and have him booked for this February. Last year we had 4 this year our group is 14. We are 8 but asked other members from our CC thread and 6 decided to join us.

We are doing a short island tour but spending most of our time at the deserted beach. He is doing a beach BBQ for us. I am really looking forward to this day at this beautiful location.

If you have questions, you should talk to him. He is a great guy and will do everything possible to make your day everything that you want it to be. He can customize your tour to your needs. Trust me, you will never be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Woody rocks Dominica! This is a 5 star tour and a must! Will definitely cross his "path" again! Tana his assistance is fantastic as well. I was in her car and was the only to sit up front, the rest hung out in the back. I was her co-pilot and got an up close encounter with their island! Don't hesitate to take this tour! Book early:)

Kim~

Just took tour with Woody. My husband and I were joined by two wonderful gals from Montreal. Woody is as everyone above says..a very pleasant and bright guy and is willing to do something that is a little different and show you the real hidden parts of Dominica. We enjoyed the day so much. We had been on the cruise for several days, and had visited a few ports, but when we hit the beautiful hidden black sand beach that Woody took us to, my husband said.."well this is the first day of my vacation". A beautiful, lush island with so much to see..don't miss a day with Woody, if you can work it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything about this sounds great!

Just wondering since it is "off the beaten path" - about the actual drive around parts - is it off road or bumpy? I have a bad time with being carsick if the driving is rough.

Also - any idea if Woody does 1/2 day tours? We are already booked for some morning whale watching, but would like to spend the afternoon seeing more of the island itself or snorkeling/swimming. No interest whatsoever in hanging out at local bars. I prefer to be more active - I can drink when I get back to the ship!

Everything about this sounds great!

Just wondering since it is "off the beaten path" - about the actual drive around parts - is it off road or bumpy? I have a bad time with being carsick if the driving is rough.

Also - any idea if Woody does 1/2 day tours? We are already booked for some morning whale watching, but would like to spend the afternoon seeing more of the island itself or snorkeling/swimming. No interest whatsoever in hanging out at local bars. I prefer to be more active - I can drink when I get back to the ship!

I'm sure if Woody has a full day group going out, he won't split it up. The drive around the island is mostly pavement. Roads are windy, but not terrible, and in just ok shape. When you get to the other side of the island, for the beach, that's when it's real off road, bumpy, down rocks. It's not more than a mile, but is slow going. You would definitely have to sit inside the car

I'm sure if Woody has a full day group going out, he won't split it up. The drive around the island is mostly pavement. Roads are windy, but not terrible, and in just ok shape. When you get to the other side of the island, for the beach, that's when it's real off road, bumpy, down rocks. It's not more than a mile, but is slow going. You would definitely have to sit inside the car

5575_100558759960590_100000193990129_13030_2228184_n.jpg

Just got back from our cruise. The day spent in Dominica with Woody was our favorite. Last year we took Woody's island tour and loved it. The beach BBQ was even better. It is the most beautiful beach that we had ever seen and decided that we needed to spend the day there. Woody suggested that we do the beach BBQ. There were 14 of us and not one was disappointed. Plenty of food and drink. Woody is one of the nicest people that you will ever encounter. Contact him and book him for your day in Dominica, you will have a day like no other and many wonderful memories. Wish that I could go back every week. Any questions, ask away.