?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

Somewhere in Seattle, on a street called Elliott Ave West, there are no doubt people shaking their heads in amazement at all the energy being wasted on this thread!:rolleyes:

And, they really don't care what we think nor what we want. They are going to do what is best for the bottom line. That will please some and annoy others. Their client base will dictate a portion of their decisions and the mighty dollar will dictate a bigger portion. That's simply the way things are... period. There is a correlation between the two, but everyone will not be pleased with the outcome.

You're right, Copper, Seattle is getting a good chuckle out of this.

Diane

I can't imagine why they would have spent all that money to outfit the Eurodam with the tray runners (all over the Lido) if they didn't plan on keeping them there for quite some time. That's what I'm basing my statement on.

Diane--

I didn't intend to flame you for your comment - If that's the way I came off, I apologize...

...but many of us here can list the numbers of "Experiments" that ended up as "Improvements" - many of which may have been wonderful for the PR department and the bottom-line, but not so swell for the passengers.

I can't imagine why they would have spent all that money to outfit the Eurodam with the tray runners (all over the Lido) if they didn't plan on keeping them there for quite some time. That's what I'm basing my statement on.

As a matter of fact word from the shipyard is. The tray runners are the first things installed and then they build the ship around them.

Both the Westerdam and the Oosterdam have tray runners in the Lido, yet they're currently conducting the experiment aboard them. :)

I wonder ... has anyone heard if they have trays in the Terrace Grill, still, or have they gone to plates only there as well?

As a matter of fact word from the shipyard is. The tray runners are the first things installed and then they build the ship around them.

When they built the S and R ships they first installed the Self-Service Laundries and then assembled the rest of the ships around those. Same principle, eh?

THis "no tray experiment" is apparently happening as we speak on both Oosterdam and Westerdam. Maybe we should check with folks posting here who just came off these two vessels and ask for their experiences in the trayless Lido. Beats beating the poor horse here with endless speculation on how it will affect all of us:cool:

My friends came off the Westerdam and they told me that they did have trays in the Lido.

We had trays last month on the Zaandam and I am very happy they did. On several mornings I went to the Lido and got breakfast for my DH and myself and took it back to our suite. Usually one of the staff carried it to the suite for me but a few times they were not available so the tray worked great for me to carry to the suite.

Yes, I know, I could have ordered from room service and we did a few times but some days, we decided at the last minute to order breakfast and did not want to eat in the Lido.

Somewhere in Seattle, on a street called Elliott Ave West, there are no doubt people shaking their heads in amazement at all the energy being wasted on this thread!:rolleyes:

LOL ... funny, I was having the same exact thought. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Let me get this straight: I go to dinner in the Lido, I maybe pick up an appetizer, a salad, and an entree--how am I supposed to carry all of this to my table without a tray? How could anyone carry all this to the table without a tray?
I'm guessing ... and this is only a guess ... that HAL has an alternative. Like perhaps you don't actually pick up separate plates, but rather have a plate/tray that has separate "compartments" within it to contain everything, including a drink.

My guess is that if HAL is experimenting with doing away with trays, there is a good reason ... and a good alternative. My guess is that reason is to save water by eliminating all the plates we now use. If the only separate plates on the tray were your beverage container and perhaps a cup for your soup, imagine all the water HAL could potentially save. They would simply have the plate/tray to wash, rather than all the separate bowls and dishes.

Just my thoughts ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

And, they really don't care what we think nor what we want. They are going to do what is best for the bottom line.

You forget one thing, though. We are the bottom line.

HAL may experiment with this, but if they see it's not workable, they'll go right back to doing what they did before. That's a fact.

It's the same with the alternative dining and the possibility of restricting smoking on the ships. They don't put those changes in without a lot of thought/research. Clearly a lot of passengers have requested some sort of "freestyle" dining option via questions specifically geared to that subject on the end of cruise surveys. Since HAL's research probably clearly indicated that it was a definite trend with cruisers, they implemented AYWD. Same with smoking. They are well into a one-year survey on the subject and will implement the policies as dictated by those survey results.

So, I have to disagree with you in some respects here. Yes, HAL does have their eye on the bottom line. They have to. But, WE are that bottom line. Without us, HAL sails with empty ships. So, don't discount the power we, as passengers, have on the cruise line. It's a lot greater than you think.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Seeing as guessing seems to be the activity of choice, I am guessing the plate/platters will look a great deal like those used on Princess ships. ;)

There are no sections or dividers. It is a plate shaped in elongated oval that is approximate to the size used at the taco/burger bar.

:D

BINGO!!

PERFECT JOHN!

I AM PHSICALLY CHALLENGED AND I LOVE THOSE CUTE BOYS IN THE LIDO HELPING ME!!

No trays in the Lido means... more cute boys to help me!

They see me coming and know that the carpet will need to be replaced, if they don't help me out! LOL!! :eek:

We have sailed on 4 different lines and I must say, HAL is the best at spotting who needs help when they come through the Lido door!

The guys all know me by name in the Lido, as well as the help I get getting in and out of the tenders!! It certainly does not hurt to tip and joke with them a bit either! ;)

See you and Lisa ( I hope) in Feb. onboard MS. "O"!!

Teri :)

I really don't want high school trays with drink spots!!!! A plate is a plate, not a high school tray/plate! I understand their mentality, but I can't wrap my brain around getting my scrambled egg and roll (1 plate), 2 yogurts and 2 juices to a table without a tray! Sorry, but I have yet to have service in the Lido on HAL to make me feel comfortable about that! I'm not an over server, just like items that don't work on a plate! I think the whole idea is a bust!!

Archived