Azura Information

tom_uk

Oh the tease, the suspense...

P&O have had a link on their home page for the last month or more 'Construction starts on Britan's new superliner' (or something like that); following the link brings you a simple page echoing the press release info about the start of Azura, and saying that "Further details of Azura's build, partnerships and interior design will be released in November 2008". (Of which there's not much left, of course.)

So I checked this afternoon and the previous link has been replaced by a new one: "Azura - one ship, endless stories". But all it does at the moment is take you to the same page as before.

(And yes, I am looking forward to Azura,)

And the mini-site is up now.

Some information gleaned:

Single cabins (as someone else has posted);

"MuTS";

no Marco Pierre White, something called 'The Glass House';

no East, a 'British Indian fusion' restaurant;

The PLanet Bar in place of Metropolis, but with a video wall;

Malabar in place of Havana

Manhattan in place of Rendezvous

The Marquis (a Gor Blimey! London pub... NOT) in place of Exchange;

no mention yet of anything where Ramblas is on Ventura.

No deck plans yet, so all this is my supposition.

I suppose the big stories are the single cabins; the two new speciality restaurants; and MuTS.

Oh, before I forget - no mention of Noddy!

Big story is that its another family ship, and not an adult one as first thought.

Well, I'll be honest, I hadn't thought she would be child-free (if that's what you mean). I think she's 'family' in the same way that Oriana or Aurora are 'family'. CC have now got a News story about Azura up, and I see that they're quoting Nigel Esdale as saying Azura will go "back to the core of P&O\s Britishness", and "primarily geared to adults and couples".

I also see that CC are suggesting the main news is about the Spa cabins & the Retreat; I'd spotted those things but they hadn't stood out to me (probably because we wouldn't use them).

Well, I'll be honest, I hadn't thought she would be child-free (if that's what you mean). I think she's 'family' in the same way that Oriana or Aurora are 'family'. CC have now got a News story about Azura up, and I see that they're quoting Nigel Esdale as saying Azura will go "back to the core of P&O\s Britishness", and "primarily geared to adults and couples".

I also see that CC are suggesting the main news is about the Spa cabins & the Retreat; I'd spotted those things but they hadn't stood out to me (probably because we wouldn't use them).

I don't know how being "primarily geared up to adults and couples" squares with all the children facilitys on board.

And the mini-site is up now.

Some information gleaned:

Single cabins (as someone else has posted);

"MuTS";

no Marco Pierre White, something called 'The Glass House';

no East, a 'British Indian fusion' restaurant;

The PLanet Bar in place of Metropolis, but with a video wall;

Malabar in place of Havana

Manhattan in place of Rendezvous

The Marquis (a Gor Blimey! London pub... NOT) in place of Exchange;

no mention yet of anything where Ramblas is on Ventura.

No deck plans yet, so all this is my supposition.

I suppose the big stories are the single cabins; the two new speciality restaurants; and MuTS.

Oh, before I forget - no mention of Noddy!

You are incorrect on a few points :-

Manhattan replaces Havana

Malabar replaces Tamarind (there is no such place as Rendezvous on Ventura).

There is a mention of Noddy!

I don't know how being "primarily geared up to adults and couples" squares with all the children facilitys on board.

'Primarily' means 'in the main' it is for adults and couples, but kids are also allowed and catered for. If it said 'solely for adults' then the kids facilities would not make sense. What they are doing is not pushing the 'family' as much as they did with Ventura.

You are incorrect on a few points :-

Manhattan replaces Havana

Malabar replaces Tamarind (there is no such place as Rendezvous on Ventura).

Thanks. You're quite right - Tamarind it is on Ventura, and that's what I was thinking of. (Where did I get 'Rendezvous' from, I wonder? there must have been a central lounge called that on some ship or other.) So you think Malabar replaces Tamarind & Manhattan replaces Havana? My guess was based on the idea that Havana & Malabar both referred to more exotic places, hence they might be equivalent. But it could well the other way round.

There is a mention of Noddy!

Where's the 'Noddy' reference?

Thanks. You're quite right - Tamarind it is on Ventura, and that's what I was thinking of. (Where did I get 'Rendezvous' from, I wonder? there must have been a central lounge called that on some ship or other.) So you think Malabar replaces Tamarind & Manhattan replaces Havana? My guess was based on the idea that Havana & Malabar both referred to more exotic places, hence they might be equivalent. But it could well the other way round.

Where's the 'Noddy' reference?

The Noddy reference is in the New Story on the Cruise Critic site, quite near the end, it says :-

"The kids' club facilities will be geared to five different age groups and P&O faves Noddy and Mr. Bump will be a presence onboard."

If you visit the P&O Website for Azura here :-

http://www.pocruises.com/azura/index.html#/home

It explains what each of the bars, etc are like. It describes Manhattan as :-

A Show Lounge for - Cabaret, Quiz Shows, Tribute Acts, Family Shows and Glittering Disco. That sounds like Havana to me.

It describes Malabar as :- Indian influenced where there are piano recitals, cabaret, bands and dancing. That sounds like the Tamarind Club to me.

Also the booklet from P&O on Azura mentions another speciality restaurant that is not listed on the web site. It is called Bentley's - and is described as Azura's Classic Dining room, this sophisticated venue will offer premium dishes. Some dishes will even be carved at your table by your waiter. It also says "choose to dine under a starry night" which to me says this has replaced the White Room.

That means that The Glass House will probably be where Ramblas was.

So we have :-

- 3 Main Restaurants - Amber, Topaz and Jade (Bay Tree, Cinnamon and Saffron)

- The Glass House (Ramblas)

- Sindhu (East)

- Bentley's (The White Room)

- Food Court (The Beach House and Waterside)

- Java (Tazzine)

- Manhattan (Havana)

- The Marquis (The Exchange)

- The Planet Bar (Metropolis)

- The Blue Bar (Red Bar)

- Malabar (Tamarind Club)

- Arena Theatre (The Playhouse)

Many thanks, idparky.

I think you're right about the Glass House. I wonder why they didn't mention Bentley's on the mini-site? - but not to worry.

They seem (from the info I've got) to have dropped all reference to Messrs. White, Dettori and Rhodes. That is interesting, don't you think?

Messrs Rhodes and White have been replaced by Atul Kochhar

Well, yes he is the featured chef. But the restaurant isn't named after him, is it? Not like The White Room, Oriana (and Arcadian) Rhodes, or even Frankie's. They seemed to have stepped back from that very obvious 'branding'.

As regards Azura what market are P/O aiming for? If you like Ventura why would you sail on the Azura when its exactly the same vessel. If you don't like Ventura then your not going to bother with the Azura for the same reason. I can only think that if the Ventura is so popular and sucessful then Azura wll mop up the extra demand.

As regards Azura what market are P/O aiming for? If you like Ventura why would you sail on the Azura when its exactly the same vessel. If you don't like Ventura then your not going to bother with the Azura for the same reason. I can only think that if the Ventura is so popular and sucessful then Azura wll mop up the extra demand.

Because it is not exactly the same vessel, nor will it offer the same holiday.

There are many ships that use the same design but that does not mean that once you have been on one you won't go on the others.

How is it not the same vessel when its described as a sister ship, and what different holiday experience can it offer. We shall have to see if the ship layout is different, but I am not expecting too many changes.

It is not the same vessel as that would be impossible as it cannot be both Ventura and Azura at the same time. Yes it is the same basic design just as it is the same design as the Grand Princess, etc, etc. It may even have the same internal layout, although it does sound like some areas will in fact be different.

What will be different is the decor and theme of the venues and public areas.

It will give a different holiday experience due to the fact that it has different facilities and features on board. For example it has a large movie screen on deck, a private outdoor spa area, different specialty restaurants, entertainment and activities that are directed more towards adults and couples rather than 'family' on Ventura. I could go on.

Just because it is the same basic design, does not mean it is the same ship.

So according to you if you have been on Freedom of the Seas there is no point in going on Independence of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas because they are "the same ship". They are all the same design after all.

Just as Disney Wonder and Disney Magic are sister ships, would you not go on one because you have been on the other?

All ships are basically the same, they have decks, restaurants, theatre, bars, etc, etc. So once you have been on one why bother to try any others?

Just because the layout is a bit more different on other P&O ships does that make them anymore deserving of giving them a try than Azura?

I went on Ventura this year and I am very excited about planning our 2010 cruise on board Azura. We loved Ventura and think that Azura will suit us even better.

In my opinion there is not alot of difference between the two ships. Nothing wrong with that it was expected. But if you have only sailed the Ventura your more likely to give the older P/O ships a try, to get a different holiday experience. Again if you have sailed the Ventura and found it too big and crowded, your not likely to go on the Azura.

I also don't care for the aggressive tone in your posting. There is too much of this going on, if anybody gives an alternative view they are shot down in flames. I have noticed there are less people posting, more than likely because of this. I may not have been on as many cruises as others on this site, but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid. Just for the record I have sailed on the Ventura, and actually like the ship.

In my opinion there is not alot of difference between the two ships. Nothing wrong with that it was expected. But if you have only sailed the Ventura your more likely to give the older P/O ships a try, to get a different holiday experience. Again if you have sailed the Ventura and found it too big and crowded, your not likely to go on the Azura.

I also don't care for the aggressive tone in your posting. There is too much of this going on, if anybody gives an alternative view they are shot down in flames. I have noticed there are less people posting, more than likely because of this. I may not have been on as many cruises as others on this site, but that doesn't make my opinion any less valid. Just for the record I have sailed on the Ventura, and actually like the ship.

I did not say your opinion was not valid nor did I use an aggressive tone.

What I did do was provide a detailed explanation of why I have my opinion, based on facts about both ships.

I simply replied to your views as you have to mine.

I will contribute to the ever diminishing numbers of posters and stop with this one as it appears you don't want me to have an opinion either.

Goodbye.

How is it not the same vessel when its described as a sister ship, and what different holiday experience can it offer. We shall have to see if the ship layout is different, but I am not expecting too many changes.

Read in paper yesterday that Azura will be aimed more at couples and Ventura will be aimed at families... so a difference should be seen....

sounds good to me.

Archived