Azura Information

tom_uk

Must admit having looked through the small booklet Azura does look very similar to Ventura, then as I loved Ventura I am also looking forward to trying out Azura. Don't mind children on board, I think it creates a better atmosphere than an adult only ship, but may be there will be fewer on board Azura.;)

Happy Sailing:D

Sorry you didn't like Ventura Feebee, if you feel like having a bash feel free to take part on the Ventura Bashing thread. I would just ask you to keep an open mind about the Azura, its a little unfair to dam it when its only just off the drawing board.

Stopgo,

Not having a bash at all. Simply said I am not interested in the ship following my experiences on Ventura - notice I did not get into the reasons why I didn't like the ship as I have spoken of them in the past but, the fact Azura is built to the same size specifications as Ventura means that the reasons I have for not liking Ventura will still be present on Azura.

I have now travelled on all the ships in the fleet except Arcadia and I am booked on her in 2010 for part of the world cruise, so I have found ships that I feel at home onboard and would rather spend my very hard earned salary on cruising on one of those ships rather than risking going on a ship that I am unlikely to enjoy.

Good luck to everyone looking forward to cruising on Azura and I hope you enjoy the experience - I am hoping for more deals to be available on the other ships in the fleet as a result.

Feebee_71 :)

Is that sarcasm really called for Stopgo?

Gerry, How lovely to see you back on C/C.

To answer your post no sarcasm was intended, I hope FreeBee didn't take it as sarcasm. To explain, I originally intended the Ventura Bashing Thread to be exactly that, I thought all those that disliked the Ventura could gather on the thread. But when I put on the O/P I expanded on the views and reasons of fellow posters and so it developed more than I intended. Anyhow I would love to know your views on the Azura, I beleve it will raise the bar on affordable Cruising and I am looking forward to its sucessful launch.

Freebee how do you know you are going to like the Arcadia? you don't same reason you don't know you won't like the Azura. Just keep an open mind till all the details and specs are finalised.

Stopgo,

Of course I don't know that I will like Arcadia but I have got friends who have crusied on both and who, knowing my reasons for not liking Ventura, have said I should like Arcadia.

Many of the reasons for not liking Ventura are connected to the infrastructure and so they will not suddenly disappear because Azura has spa cabins and fewer activities/facilities aimed at children.

The first time I went on Artemis I was worried I would not like the cruise because the ship was older and smaller than I had experienced before. Within 2 hours of being onboard I felt as if I was at home and have felt like that on all the ships I have been on except Ventura.

I will simply stick to the rest of the fleet and leave Azura to those who have enjoyed Ventura.

I think that Azura looks as though it will NOT be like Ventura. Maybe they learned a lesson. I have my small brochure that came through the door this morning. It looks a lot more sophisticated than Ventura and as someone else said, no mention of children's things. We shall see

On the other hand, there's no doubt that Azura, like Ventura before it, will be a very big ship - 3,000+ passengers at standard occupancy, which is about 1000 more than any other P&O ship. Although I don't mind these very large ships, I can certainly understand someone preferring the smaller ships.

Thats the point I was trying to get across to FreeBee, if you have not recieved the brochure then you will not be aware of how different the Azura is to the Ventura.

Stopgo,

Can I please just say, I am not freebee but feebee (not a big difference but one none the less).

I had received the initial booklet and today have had the second installment. And the only thing I think when looking through it is that the differences are not there........ Blue Bar/Red Bar, Manhatten/Havana, Malabar/Tamarind Club........ library/book shop - where is the quiet reading room, the card room? If you would like a quiet evening up on deck enjoying the scenery - sorry, you have to contend with the soundtrack from the latest blockbuster movie - I pity people who have opted for a quiet dinner out on deck.

Tom_UK has picked up on the issue for me - the ship can have whatever decoration and whatever names for venues that they like, they can make some cabins 'spa staterooms' and give additional preferences for the spa and they can add a token few single cabins but the fact remains that Azura will still be a ship with a potential capacity of over 3,000 passengers and will still be built with passageways right through the middle of venues.

I liked Oceana, Oriana and Artemis, I even enjoyed Aurora but, anything bigger than them and it is approaching uncomfortable proportions for my liking. I am sorry that you will not persuade me to change my mind about Azura especially having seen the booklet today.

I will spend my money on the ships I like and will give Arcadia a try because I am looking forward to the itinerary (the end of the world voyage) and trying out the only ship in the fleet I have not yet been on, if I find I don't like Arcadia then I won't go on her again and I would also avoid other ships built from the same shell.

It is not the same vessel as that would be impossible as it cannot be both Ventura and Azura at the same time. Yes it is the same basic design just as it is the same design as the Grand Princess, etc, etc. It may even have the same internal layout, although it does sound like some areas will in fact be different.

What will be different is the decor and theme of the venues and public areas.

It will give a different holiday experience due to the fact that it has different facilities and features on board. For example it has a large movie screen on deck, a private outdoor spa area, different specialty restaurants, entertainment and activities that are directed more towards adults and couples rather than 'family' on Ventura. I could go on.

Just because it is the same basic design, does not mean it is the same ship.

So according to you if you have been on Freedom of the Seas there is no point in going on Independence of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas because they are "the same ship". They are all the same design after all.

Just as Disney Wonder and Disney Magic are sister ships, would you not go on one because you have been on the other?

All ships are basically the same, they have decks, restaurants, theatre, bars, etc, etc. So once you have been on one why bother to try any others?

Just because the layout is a bit more different on other P&O ships does that make them anymore deserving of giving them a try than Azura?

I went on Ventura this year and I am very excited about planning our 2010 cruise on board Azura. We loved Ventura and think that Azura will suit us even better.

Can I just quote you this FeeBee its from the much missed idparky, I think it sum's everything to do with the Azura in a nutshell

Stopgo,

Your message is not very fair - there was a valid reason for my getting involved in this thread - the matter of single cabins on Azura. They are supposed to appeal to us but do the cruise lines believe that there will only be 16 single travellers onboard at any one time?

I commented that, despite the inclusion of single cabins it would not raise the appeal of Azura to me because my experiences on Ventura made me realise that the reasons I didn't enjoy myself and wouldn't want to cruise on the new ship are more to do with the structure of the vessel than what soft furnishings they use.

You say that idparky's post sums up everything to do with Azura in a nutshell - indeed it might but it also lends weight to my position on the subject, I have said that to me the decor and furnishings were not the issue but the ship in it's size and how I felt as a single passenger onboard.

Idparky makes the statement that they both loved Ventura and think Azura will suit them more. So why am I not allowed to say the opposite and say that my experiences on Ventura have made me realise Azura will NOT be suited to me or my needs.

To also say that people who do not like or are not interested in Azura shouldn't get involved in the thread is also very unfair. It seems you only want positive things said about the ship - and there have been people on a variety of sites who have said if people are going to post a negative post about the ship shouldn't post. What about giving a balanced view for people looking at the site and perhaps thinking about booking, especially a single cabin, onboard this ship. It has already been said on here that people think the single cabins will not be sold at a supplement which is very unlikely and by saying that those without boundless enthusiasm for this new clone ship shouldn't post on the thread means that this could end up as a very one sided piece of information for people looking into the ship.

Feebee_71 :mad:

Yes but its a thread about the Azura, anybody who doesn't like the Azura or is not interested in the Azura needn't take part.

Why?

I see nowhere where it states one needn't take part in debate / discussion just because one does not agree with Mrs. StopGo.

I apologise if I missed that part somewhere.

If you look through this thread you will see there are few negative posts as well as positive posts. So I would say its a well balanced thread. To me

it's sad that people don't want to give the Azura a chance even at this early stage. Until anybody has actually sailed on her its difficult to compare her with any ship. All I am saying is that on small amount information we know, that I am pretty positive about the ship.

I would like to hear your views Gerry I am sure you will have some, I know they will be forthright and at times blunt. The Cruise Comunity is a broad church and all views are welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
Reports that Azura Summer 2010/Winter2011 holidays will be available to book from the 30th March. Futher details prices and destinations to be annouced 20th March.

Oh Good, hopefully you'll then give it a rest.

:D :D :D

Reports that Azura Summer 2010/Winter2011 holidays will be available to book from the 30th March. Futher details prices and destinations to be annouced 20th March.

Thanks, stopgo; I'd heard something similar from an on-line TA who called me. I even git a bit of information about itineraries in May 2010 (which would have been my first choice period) - I was looking for a 14-night western Med cruise, but apparently she won't be doing one of them in the spring/early summer. In late April her itinerary has a 12-night Canary Islands cruise; then in May there's a 16-night E med & a 14-night Baltic cruise, followed by another 16-night E Med cruise starting almost in mid-June. Beyond that I wasn't told anything, nor do I have any pricing.

But today's the 16th so we ought to get full information by the end of this week. Presumably this is being done now to be available for the Cruise show next weekend at Excel.

The Azura website gives the Norwegian Fjords as one of the destinations, but no dates or other details. Should get futher information at the end of the month. The Azura launchs late spring 2010, thanks for your enquiry.

Archived