Azura Information

tom_uk

Is there any difference between a ship aimed at couples and an adult only ship. Azura seems to be catering for familys as well with all the children facilties. It doesn't bother me one way or the other whether its Azura or Ventura, to me they will be just as good as each other.

Is there any difference between a ship aimed at couples and an adult only ship. Azura seems to be catering for familys as well with all the children facilties. It doesn't bother me one way or the other whether its Azura or Ventura, to me they will be just as good as each other.

Yes.

A adult only ship has NO children on it ! :D

Perhaps Azura won't have Noddy on it:rolleyes:

From the promo literature instead of promoting Noddy, The circus school and the scaletric they are promoting the number of bars, restaurants and relaxing atmosphere.... Surely in these credit crunch times they can't fill two large ships a week 2 x 3,000 pax with families so will have to try a different angle.

I've just checked the P&O general website, in the 'Our Ships' section. If you look at the Azura page and then at the 'At a Glance' section, it days 'Family Activities', but nothing more. Switch to the page for Oriana, check the 'Highlights' section (same position as 'At a Glance' on Azura) you'll see 'Family Facilities'. If you then switch to the Ventura page and check the Highlight section you'll see separate entries for Circus Skills, Bungee Trampolines, Noddy, mr Bump, and Rock School.

So they are indeed marketing the family/children's facilities much more on Ventura than on Azura. My view is that family features will be as prominent on Azura as they are on Oriana, Aurora or Oceana.

Yes.

Surely in these credit crunch times they can't fill two large ships a week 2 x 3,000 pax with families so will have to try a different angle.

This is why Ocean Village is going. Ventura basically becomes OV3 but in P&O branding. P&O will be hoping that the 3000 pax a week that would have been on OV will move to Ventura. To achieve that they are going to have to offer Med fly cruises.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As regards Azura what market are P/O aiming for? If you like Ventura why would you sail on the Azura when its exactly the same vessel. If you don't like Ventura then your not going to bother with the Azura for the same reason. I can only think that if the Ventura is so popular and sucessful then Azura wll mop up the extra demand.

Because it has single cabins that is why I would use that boat, I like going solo so will be booking a cruise on the ship so I can (hopefully) not get that rip off single room supliment that has put me off cruising.

Paula

I think you will find when the prices come out that a single cabin will be more than the price per person of someone sharing an equivalent cabin, but probably cheaper than the single supplement in a double cabin. The single supplement is unlikely to totally go away.

Brian

Paula

I think you will find when the prices come out that a single cabin will be more than the price per person of someone sharing an equivalent cabin, but probably cheaper than the single supplement in a double cabin. The single supplement is unlikely to totally go away.

Brian

I know single travellors we the travel industry really don't like you but if you must buck the trend then we reserve the right to gouge you at every opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody got the Azura update through the post today, I must say from the photo's of the interior it looks mightly impressive. The Glass House is certainly a little bit different, an upmarket yet relaxed wine bar and restaurant. This select Dinning Venue offers exciting taster evenings which will feature " by the glass " tasting experience. This affords the passenger a wonderful opportunity to sample wines of such quality that are not normally available in single serving. The Atrium looks spectacular with wait for it a polished wooden-dance floor right at the centre with the four marble archways as a backdrop. P/O are starting taking bookings next month for 2010, I have high expectations for this ship with P/O setting new standards for affordable cruising.

I received my Azura update today as well (as I'm sure did lots of people), and I've been reading it with interest. We have some more info about the ship, and I like what I'm reading.

Some of the details are now clearer, but some are still obscure. Some months ago 'idparky' gave us this list of eateries:

"- 3 Main Restaurants - Amber, Topaz and Jade (Bay Tree, Cinnamon and Saffron)

- The Glass House (Ramblas)

- Sindhu (East)

- Bentley's (The White Room)

- Food Court (The Beach House and Waterside)

- Java (Tazzine)"

The new booklet has an entire chapter about each of Sindhu and The Glass House, but still nothing about Bentley's. I know it's been said that that name might change - I wonder if they are in discussion with one or two other chefs over branding, and the discussions are still on-going? But they are keeping very quiet about it.

The other thing I noticed is the almost complete absence of the word 'family' from the booklet. I spotted two mentions: one in the section about the SeaScreen, where the phrase 'family favourites under the sun' was used; and again in the epilogue, where the phrase 'multi-generational families' was included in a list of groups to whom Azura will appeal. In fact, in chapter 6, there's a mention of "a select number of multi-occupancy staterooms... sleeping 4-6 people" - I thought it was significant that these were specifically not described as 'family cabins'. And there is absolutely no mention of children's facilities.

Let me go back to that comment in the epilogue. This is it in full: "Her appeal will be far-reaching, from couples to singles and from groups of friends to multi-generational families, but the experiences she will offer will always be stylish, sophisticated and wonderfully serene.". I think it sums up where P&O are intending to position Azura.

We're told that an Azura brochure will be available in March. I'm looking forward to mine.

I have to say I am not bothered by the introduction of single cabins on Azura - on a ship which will have a capacity of somewhere around 3,000 passengers they are putting in 16 single cabins and I think there will be about 10 insides and the other 6 balcony or outside cabins.

I don't think they will market these cabins at the equivalent of the same fare as twin occupancy cabins per person. If you look at the ships which do offer single cabins (Fred Olsen in particular and I think Cunard) they charge between 140 and 160% of the standard twin cabin price per person.

I for one would rather pay the supplement and benefit from the additional space that is offered in a twin cabin with single supplement.

Having said that I am probably one of the few P&O passengers not in the slightest bit interested in Azura having been on Ventura and not liked the ship I will not waste my money on another one that is similar even if P&O are marketing Azura as being a different product to Ventura. Hopefully there will be more offers on cruises on the rest of the fleet as a result.

Feebee_71 :)

Sorry you didn't like Ventura Feebee, if you feel like having a bash feel free to take part on the Ventura Bashing thread. I would just ask you to keep an open mind about the Azura, its a little unfair to dam it when its only just off the drawing board.

Archived