Advise

mew1

I am traveling with my 71 year old mom who is almost completely blind with mascular degeneration, can anyone offer advise on making it easier to find her way around the cabin, and do you know if NCL has any people on the ship we can talk to about advise, the buffet (her favorite) is going to be so much harder now that she can't see as much.

thank you in advance

mew1

I take it from what you said that she has not done any training for the blind? Braille and such? other than that there is not much the ship can provide that would help her find her way around, that is what You are for. you say you are traveling with her.

Same for the Buffet, they would carry her tray but someone would have to tell her what was there and fill it for her.

You can call special services for the line but there is not much they can offer in the situation you mention.

I am traveling with my 71 year old mom who is almost completely blind with mascular degeneration, can anyone offer advise on making it easier to find her way around the cabin, and do you know if NCL has any people on the ship we can talk to about advise, the buffet (her favorite) is going to be so much harder now that she can't see as much.

thank you in advance

mew1

I just took my 71 year old mom on a cruise. I take her on a cruise every year. She also has mascular degeneration and is also disabled. I helped her with everything. I helped her at the buffet. I helped her in the cabin. I helped her around the ship. The waiter refused to read the menu to her :eek: so I did that too. Don't expect much help from the cruise line. :(

I still had a good time on the cruise but it was like traveling with a child. However, I was glad to do this for her. I owe it to her. As a daughter this is the least I can do.

Have a great cruise and I hope you make wonderful memories with your mom.

Linda

P.S. Read my review of our cruise if you would like. It is a disabled review but also has some aspects to sight as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=870284

Thank you for your response, it is nice to talk with someone who understands, I took her last year and enjoyed helping every step, I was not trying to get the cruise line to do my job. I know sometimes reading the menu in the rest. is hard, with all the noise. Would I have a problem, trying to get her a seat upfront so she could see the shows better, she still has some site, but far away it is so much worse. I was just trying to figure the best way to make sure she enjoys it.

thank you for your input

Mary

You could ask to be seated side-by-side, rather than across from each other...or simply move your seat so that you are next to her, or angled from her, so you can read the menu for her, and/or assist her with her meal.

As for the shows, you'd need to get there early to get upfront seating, as it seems to fill very quickly.

Most people with vision impairments want to have things in place exactly the same each time, so you'd need to be sensitive to where furniture is placed, for example. The cabins are small enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem for her to find her way around inside, but you'd need to be careful to not have things underfoot, like shoes, clothing, chairs not pushed back into place, that sort of thing.

Have a good time!

These were wonderful ideas that I had not thought of, I am feeling less apprehensive and better prepared to help her.

I don't know if anyone is hunting for a gift for someone going blind, but I found a wonderful site www.braillebookstore.com I was able to get my mom a talking watch and a few things to help around the house, she does not want to give up her independence. Hope this helps someone

again

thanks

Mary

Contact special services and ask them about seating for the shows for someone legally blind that needs to be up front, they should accomodate that.

also be sure you register her as needing extra assistance in an emergency. You never know if you would be handy then or not. They keep a record of people and cabins that require addititional assistance to evacuate.

Thank you for your response, it is nice to talk with someone who understands, I took her last year and enjoyed helping every step, I was not trying to get the cruise line to do my job. I know sometimes reading the menu in the rest. is hard, with all the noise. Would I have a problem, trying to get her a seat upfront so she could see the shows better, she still has some site, but far away it is so much worse. I was just trying to figure the best way to make sure she enjoys it.

thank you for your input

Mary

Yes, it is so nice to talk to someone who understands!!!!! Its so nice to find someone else when you think you are the only one.

On our cruise we met a lovely man who was almost totally blind. He would always get to the show at least 30 mins early so he could get a front seat and be able to see the show. Mom and I sat with him several times. I wish they could save the front seats for sight impaired but that is too much to ask I guess.

I also read the menu to mom way before dining time. It was on the TV on Carnival. However, her memory isn't good either so I would have to reread the menu to her to remind her. I just couldn't believe the waiter refused to read the menu to her the one night she was alone. That really chapped my hide.

The only line that mom received help at the buffet was on Princess. However, they didn't fill her plate as good as I did. :D(I know her likes and dislikes) So, mom liked me to fill her plate better than crew. So I would get her plate, drink etc then I would get my plate. Didn't work out well as she would be done eating by the time I got back with my plate. However, we managed. We enjoyed eating in the restaurants much better.

On our last cruise on NCL Dawn there was a totally blind man traveling alone. Wow! That has to take guts. Anyway, he went on a ship shore excursion and the fellow pax on the bus were very upset because he took a little longer to get on and off the bus. They were also saying he shouldn't have even booked a cruise since he cant see anything anyway. :eek: I couldn't believe their horrible attitudes.

Would love to cruise with you and your mom one day. The Mom's would have ball.

If there is anyway I can help you more just ask. Here is my e-mail address: Umbargerwt@copper.net

Linda

Archived