Upgrade fairy just arrived

cruzadict

As I posted on another thread we were debating whether to upgrade from A3 stateroom to a P2. After much soul searching we decided to take the plunge. Two weeks later we were upgraded to a P1 and guess what? I have just been notified that we have been upgraded to a Q5. I must have been really good this year.

As I posted on another thread we were debating whether to upgrade from A3 stateroom to a P2. After much soul searching we decided to take the plunge. Two weeks later we were upgraded to a P1 and guess what? I have just been notified that we have been upgraded to a Q5. I must have been really good this year.

Well done! We know how you feel. From a P2 to a Q6 on QV 2nd Jan. Smillies all round.:D:D

Good stuff, only ones on the ship then?:D:D

Assume you have had to have been on Cunard a few times to qualify or be in line for an upgrade? or know the right people in the right place.

Not necessarily. On our very first QE2 voyage in 1995. we were upgraded from a 'C1' to a 'Q3' :)

I think that, to a large extent, it depends upon how many cabins are selling in different grades, and if demand for a certain grade is high, they will often upgrade those who booked that grade early, thus releasing the original cabin for new passengers.

I am not suggesting that this is the only factor in the equation, but it certainly has an influence on how many passengers are upgraded.

Regards,

David

If anyone sees the upgrade fairy, can you please ask why in 18 voyages I have only been visited once? Also please make the fairy aware I am on QM2 on the 20th July 2009 in a D7, and would love an upgade :D

Stephen, Next time I see the 'Fairy', I will certainly put in a good word for you. Meanwhile, I will keep my fingers firmly crossed in the hope that you are 'visited'.

Regards,

David

Hi,

I am just curious about the following. Did you request a free upgrade if available at booking time or did you decide to pay for the upgrade after booking the A3?

I know from experience if you agree to a free upgrade at the time of booking, Cunard will inform you of an upgrade of their picking and you get stuck with it. Your original stateroom that you booked has been given to someone else. Sometimes the free upgrade is in a stateroom that is not too popular because of its location on the ship.

So, if you paid for an upgrade from a A3 to a P2 and were given a P1 at the same price and then a Q5 at the same price of the P2, you got a terrific deal. Your gratuities will now be $13 a day per person instead of the $11 per day in the A3, but the value in the upgrade will balance that out.

The QM2 looks beautiful for the Christmas/New Year cruise. We were on board two years ago but for the cruise just before the one you will be on. The QM2 was decorated then for the holiday cruise.

Bon Voyage! Terrence

Hi Terrence

We originally booked and paid for cabin 8125 - A3. Then about 5 weeks ago we decided to pay for an upgrade to a P2. Two weeks later we were upgraded, freeof charge, to a P1 and then on Friday last week we were upgraded yet again free of charge to a Q5. I cannot work out how they decide who to upgrade. However, when we were upgraded to a P1 the suite that they allocated us was not in a great location so my travel agent rang them and they changed the suite to a better position one. Only 18 days and counting. Just one question, do they replenish the wine in the bar set up once a bottle is empty or is it just an initial set up.

Hi Terrence

We originally booked and paid for cabin 8125 - A3. Then about 5 weeks ago we decided to pay for an upgrade to a P2. Two weeks later we were upgraded, freeof charge, to a P1 and then on Friday last week we were upgraded yet again free of charge to a Q5. I cannot work out how they decide who to upgrade. However, when we were upgraded to a P1 the suite that they allocated us was not in a great location so my travel agent rang them and they changed the suite to a better position one. Only 18 days and counting. Just one question, do they replenish the wine in the bar set up once a bottle is empty or is it just an initial set up.

They keep it coming, daily if you need it.:D:D You can also change your choices to something else at any time. Enjoy.

Sharon

Hi cruzadict,

Thanks for the response to my questions. You really are very lucky with the upgrade that you received for your upcoming voyage on the QM2. You really have something to look forward to in a few weeks.

You will be very happy with the accommodations you will have in a Queens Grill stateroom. What deck will you be on?

Bon, Bon Voyage!

Terrence

Hi Marilyn,

On October 10, when we arrived from Brooklyn to Southampton on the Queen Mary 2, Loretta and I took a tour of the staterooms on Deck 9. It was around 10:30 am, and most of the passengers where off the ship. Being we were returning to Brooklyn on the QM2, we had the time to explore the ship.

Your stateroom is next to one of the Penthouses on Deck Nine. You should get to know your neighbors so you can visit with them and see the Penthouse. Your stateroom is just as nice and you will be spoiled forever. At the back of the ship on Deck Nine are the five duplex staterooms. We were able to visit the larger one on the starboard side of the ship.

We took photos of the suites, penthouse, and duplex staterooms. As much as we enjoyed being on the Queen Elizabeth 2 seven times, the majority of the staterooms on the Queen Mary 2 are far superior than those on the QE2.

We have been on the QM2 six times. We have been on Deck Four for three voyages and on Deck Five for three voyages. All the staterooms had sheltered balconies and we dined in the Britannia Restaurant.

You will be spoiled dinning in the Queens Grill, but you should have at least a breakfast or lunch in the Britannia Restaurant. It is open seating at those times. Even a lunch in the alternative Todd Restaurant is worth the change of scenery and the experience of the beauty of other restaurants on board. If you get tired of another formal night, make a reservation in La Piazza, Lotus, or The Carvery in the Kings Court on Deck Seven for a very nice sit down dinner. You do not have to be formally dressed there.

Bon Voyage!

Terrence

I thought that there would be upgrades when they recently heavily discounted the rates for this year. Evidently they want to fill the ship and book more people wanting the lowest price, so they pleasantly bump up people to higher-priced staterooms. I've heard that the prices on the Christmas cruise usually stay high because they're so popular, so this is a treat! I too was on the ship with Terry and Loretta, and I'd love to be on the Christmas cruise!

I agree with Terry. We've requested to not have any upgrades, so that we can keep the stateroom that we've chosen on the QV for the Europe Sampler 10/22 to 10/26. We like to be on the highest deck, and look forward to our stateroom #8130 on the QV. We'll be in the back section facing the front in an extended-corner balcony stateroom, so we'll be able to have a clear view as we approach land and a much larger balcony. If we want more privacy, we can sit back closer to our doors like our neighbors. I noticed that some of the Princess Suites are on a lower deck above the tenders. I now choose our vacation every other year, so we will be touring in the English countryside and then boarding the QV for our 2009 cruise! We toured Germany and Austria in October this year. Maybe when it's my turn to choose again, we'll be able to go on the new QE in 2011.

Terry and Loretta, you should join us on this quick cruise!

Archived