Treatment of cruise-divers

grounded

I will be trying my first cruise dive in January, and have some concerns about how I will be received. I've got one day in Cozumel, off of RCCL's Navigator of the Seas.

My background: I'm an open-circuit decompression diver. I've got about 175 dives, with an average of about 25 dives a year. I'm used to diving locally (south florida) with the same boats with captains who are familiar with all of the divers who regularly use their boats.

I've never dove Cozumel before, but understand there are some pretty incredible walls. My hope is that I'll get a chance to experience one of those walls at the 100-130 ft level. I've booked the morning two-tank trip with aldora, based on the positive feedback both here and on scubaboard.

My question: since I'll be coming from a cruise ship, and only staying for one day, will I be generally looked down upon? By this, I mean that I know most cruisers have a reputation for lousy skills, and that they are therefore limited to heavily supervised, shallow dives. I'm not used to anyone on the boat supervising my dive, beyond asking for an anticipated run time.

Obviously, I'm confident that after my first dive there will be no question as to my skills. My concern, however, is that, given the available time, my first dive will be a 30 ft "test" dive, which won't allow enough off-gassing for a deep dive that day.

Have I bought some latitude by avoiding the ship sponsored operator? Or do I just need to lower my expectations and accept that the price of the conveninece of a cruise ship is a lack of access to better diving?

You'll be treated just like most of the land based divers who are doing their first dive with a new OP. The DW won't know your or your ability/skill level and IMO he should treat you as an inexperienced diver until he knows you better.

You might get a little more slack if you have your own gear, but you won't be expected to set it up yourself.

Thanks. I'm definitely planning to bring my own gear. Although I'm not used to other people setting it up for me.....

I took a look at your photo page. I noticed you had a shot from devil's throat. I assume you got to to that on a one day trip?

I will be trying my first cruise dive in January, and have some concerns about how I will be received. I've got one day in Cozumel, off of RCCL's Navigator of the Seas.

My background: I'm an open-circuit decompression diver. I've got about 175 dives, with an average of about 25 dives a year. I'm used to diving locally (south florida) with the same boats with captains who are familiar with all of the divers who regularly use their boats.

I've never dove Cozumel before, but understand there are some pretty incredible walls. My hope is that I'll get a chance to experience one of those walls at the 100-130 ft level. I've booked the morning two-tank trip with aldora, based on the positive feedback both here and on scubaboard.

My question: since I'll be coming from a cruise ship, and only staying for one day, will I be generally looked down upon? By this, I mean that I know most cruisers have a reputation for lousy skills, and that they are therefore limited to heavily supervised, shallow dives. I'm not used to anyone on the boat supervising my dive, beyond asking for an anticipated run time.

Obviously, I'm confident that after my first dive there will be no question as to my skills. My concern, however, is that, given the available time, my first dive will be a 30 ft "test" dive, which won't allow enough off-gassing for a deep dive that day.

Have I bought some latitude by avoiding the ship sponsored operator? Or do I just need to lower my expectations and accept that the price of the conveninece of a cruise ship is a lack of access to better diving?

In my experience if I want to do a certain dive, I talk to the captain when he has a chance before we leave port. I get my gear up and running as quickly as possible, get my gear stowed then watch as the novice divers run into each other looking for gear and who didn't pack their gear first-in, last-out. Last time I was in Grand Turk I'd read about anchor wall so I'd mentioned to the captain that if the conditons were right, and he felt like he wanted to go there that I'd like to do the wall. Sure enough, first dive, anchor wall. Most captains are sensible people but if 90% of the divers are new or inexperienced you'll do the 30ft. shallow. The dives are based on the "average" skills of the boat. But like I said, talk to the captain, get a feel for what "he" wants to dive that day and you might be surprised.

Randall

There is no way that Aldora, or an reputable dive operation, would take a diver that they didn't know to Devil's Throat. They will watch you closely on your first dive, but it won't be a 30 ft dive. They tend to do 2 long, deeper dives because of the steel 120s. They would have no problem with you setting up your own gear. Remember that they use DIN connections, so if your reg doesn't have that, they will either work on your 1st stage or allow you to use one of their regs.

Because of the currents, the dive is done as a group, and you are asked to stay near the guide (at least within sight) at all times. The entire group does a backward roll at the same time. Generally the entire group goes up at the same time as well, although I have had them take part of the group up and continue the dive with my husband and me when we had WAY more air left.

Thanks. I'm definitely planning to bring my own gear. Although I'm not used to other people setting it up for me.....

I took a look at your photo page. I noticed you had a shot from devil's throat. I assume you got to to that on a one day trip?

I've been to Cozumel twice on week long vacations, but that time I was on a cruise. I've gone with Blue XT Sea several times, so it wasn't my first time diving with them. Last June I went to Fiji with the owner's group :D

If you haven't already, be sure to email Aldora ahead of time with your skills level. Your post here comes across as sincere and not over inflated. That's important to help them get that you aren't just another cruise ship blow hard. If they know ahead of time what to expect from the divers they have that day they can plan accordingly.

If you haven't already, be sure to email Aldora ahead of time with your skills level. Your post here comes across as sincere and not over inflated. That's important to help them get that you aren't just another cruise ship blow hard. If they know ahead of time what to expect from the divers they have that day they can plan accordingly.

I would probably avoid pre-boasting about myself. Locally, I usually just show up for boats by myself. (there's usually better than 50/50 odds someone I know will be on the boat). Sometimes, especially for shallower reef dives, I get put in a group of divers I don't know. Inevitably, there seems to be an inverse relationship between a diver's comfort in the water and his pre-dive bragging.

Luckily, the cruise ship docks at 6:00 a.m. local time. Since I'll have all my gear (and all of my first stages are DIN), I figure I can make the early boat they send out for the land-based divers. There was a space on the reservation form asking for the number of dives in the past three years, and a quick scan of my computers show that most of my dives this year have been deeper than 100 feet.

Instead, maybe I'll just wear my "Crown & Anchor Society" hat- so that every one can know I'm the real deal. ;-)

I am guessing you probably meant this jokingly, but as a diver who probably has nearly half my log full of cruise ship dives (sometimes with the ship's tour, sometimes not) who is reading this on a cruise message board, I wish you'd reconsider your phrasing.

Options....

- enjoy the dives you are presented....depth does not equal a better dive

- number of dives at depth does not equal skill..I've got 175 dives at the same site....and few hundred beyond that. Am I a better diver? I dunno but I was certified in '74 by a single digit PADI instructor. And I'm still alive despite hundreds of dives...(we got free weeks in Cayman for years....)

I set up my gear too - I'll give you that one....and watching the others IS fun. But a 175 dives...you're a pup!

Hundreds in the log.... ALL my best are less than 40 feet....nite dives where I (we ... spousal unit is my primary buddy) sat in 1 place and let the critters find us....depth does not equal quality on a dive.

To ask a shop to take someone they do not know on a harder dive first time out....heck, I wouldn't want to dive with them @ anytime if they went for that.... A SAFE shop won't go for it!

Be confident in YOUR skills, enjoy the dive and don't judge (did I???? ugh, sorry)

Oh ya - I've got about 50 dives in the log that went from cruise ship trips..and when I went to the islands for 'business' I tended to use the same cruise suppliers so add another 100 or so on that.....

Grounded,

Let's face the facts. Whomever Aldora has booked on that particular trip will usually dictate the level of difficulty the dive presents for the group to which you are assigned. The lower experience level of the divers involved will often determine the dive site. If your lucky, you'll get a group that matches your experience. If not, at least you'll get to dive Cozumel. It's been my experience that most private dive charters in Cozumel dive the walls. Depth, really has no bearing on the quality of wall dives. They're all pretty good. My suggestion would be to do the dives, enjoy the experience, and then decide, based on your experience, if it was worth it.;)

One thing in you favor is you've decided not to do the ship's excursion, which usually is the typical cattle boat experience!

Options....

- enjoy the dives you are presented....depth does not equal a better dive

Totally agree. Shallower dives have better color and usually give substantially more bottom time.

I set up my gear too - I'll give you that one....and watching the others IS fun. But at 175 dives...you're a pup!
That's what cold water divers are expected to do, set up their own gear.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think I've got the answers I was looking for and a good sense of where my expectations should be. It's tough to play in someone else's sandbox. Especially when I've only got one day to do it.

In the end, the worst day diving is still better than the best day at work.

Since I assume everyone who posted here is an active cruiser, if any of you are ever looking for a buddy for a pre-cruise dive in the greater ft. lauderdale area, drop me a line. I'll even set your gear up for you.

Want to have some fun regarding cruise ship divers and cozumel? Check out the following thread/link on scubaboard dot com, which I started. if the link does not work, check out scubaboard dot com forums cozumel and search for Help-I'm afraid to come to Cozumel.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/260090-help-im-afraid-come-coz.html

Want to have some fun regarding cruise ship divers and cozumel? Check out the following thread/link on scubaboard dot com, which I started. if the link does not work, check out scubaboard dot com forums cozumel and search for Help-I'm afraid to come to Cozumel.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/260090-help-im-afraid-come-coz.html

Believe it or not, reading and thinking about your post last week (and the ensuing venom that it prompted) is what prompted my post here. In the wake of that, I sure as heck wasn't going to ask any one over there whether it was really that bad...

By the way, when you've finished your dive in cozumel, is it better to go mask on forehead or no mask on forehead?

Believe it or not, reading and thinking about your post last week (and the ensuing venom that it prompted) is what prompted my post here. In the wake of that, I sure as heck wasn't going to ask any one over there whether it was really that bad...

By the way, when you've finished your dive in cozumel, is it better to go mask on forehead or no mask on forehead?

No mask on forehead. Waves will take it right off, dive masters will yell at you, sign of novice diver. Round the neck is fine (afterall it's warm water, you don't have that dry suit collar to contend with). Also I like to carry a safety sausage (at least 6ft.) and whistle just in case I'd have to emergency surface on a Coz. drift dive so the boat can find me.

Randall

I've booked the morning two-tank trip with aldora, based on the positive feedback both here and on scubaboard.

Let me tell you about my one experience diving with Aldora Divers from a cruise ship.

I booked with them one time when I came to Cozumel on a cruise ship because I didn't want to go with the cattle dive arranged by the ship.

I went to their dive shop to get my equipment checked and they drove me to one of the beaches south of San Miguel to meet up with a boat that was already out. My first dive was everyone else's second dive so I got a short shallow dive on my steel 100 and didn't even come close to using any air.

I was the only diver for the second dive and the divemaster ended the dive after 40 minutes without even checking to see how much air I had left. I had over a half a tank left.

I paid extra to dive with them. They bragged about how you get longer dive times with their Steel 100s. My dive times with them were shorter than I usually got on regular tanks.

It turned out that the people that dove through the ship had a great dive and even saw a shark.

Mark

Archived