Roll Call : Prince Albert II Dec 11 to Antarctica

vitesse

People don't usually go to the Antarctic for their first cruise. The sea there is known to be rough, to the extent that you may need bedbelts to keep you from falling over. Usually, people start with more regular destinations, try out how they react to sailing (whether you get seasick, and if so how badly and what kind of medication suits you) before something as adventurous as Antarctic! (Unless of course, you have sea experience such as in the navy before, then it is a different story).

Hi there, My DH are on the sailing to the Antartcia on 29 Jan. I am really looking forward to it - some pre cruise info arrived through the post yesterday so it feels a lot closer all of a sudden.

With your cruise in 2 weeks time are you all set? Have you figured out the clothes?

I can't believe it's your first cruise! I think you'll be spoiled for any other cruise line and destination after this combination!

Keep us posted on how you get on, Soraya

Nope, no navy or serious boating experience here. We will be fully stocked with the recommended meds though. We were just planning a trip to to South America and thought it would be great to go to Antarctica at the same time. The I stumbled on the discounted fares for Silversea. We will actually be travelling for about 40 days between Argentina, Chile, and this cruise.

Generally we are just looking for fun adventure and I think this should fit the bill. I think we might be a bit younger than the average passenger as we are all in our mid 30's.

As for gear, we bought the recommended boots, but other than that its all stuff we have in the closet anyways. We do quite a big of skiing and other winter sports so the prospective summer conditions don't look bad at all.

Frankly, its the packing for the non-outdoors part of the trip that is a little more confusing for us. We live in seattle and all work in the software industry where things are very casual. The idea that it would not be appropriate to wear jeans to dinner on a boat to antarctica is a bit baffling for me. We'll be packing very light so I hope we've got a decent combo sorted.

Vitesse I think it's great you're doing PAII for your very first cruise. You are exactly the type of "guest" to enjoy all that will be offered.

I'm a long-time Silversea cruiser and wouldn't think of traveling with any other line at this point, and although I've not been on PAII, my travel agent has and I've enjoyed reading his trip diary.

As far as appropriate dinner attire - I wouldn't call PAII a "boat" - but rather more like a small private yacht. And even though a "yacht", I don't believe you'll find the other guests stuffy. At least that's been my experience with Silversea.

Let us know how it goes -- I'm sure you're in for a great experience.

from California

I was booked on the ship for a cruise next fall Easter Island to Tahiti which has been canceled in favor of more lucrative areas. I made sure before I booked that it was very informal and was assured it would be informal. I would not hesitate to wear jeans with a nice top except maybe for the captain's night dinners. Over the years with much cruising on expedition type ships I have seen the dress code really change. Check with Silversea.

Sorya

We are also on the PA on Jan 29 staying in BA Jan 25-26-28 and in Iguza Jan 27.

We are travelling with another couple (from SD) we met on a previous

Celebrity Galapagos Expedition (X)

As Silverseas does not have it's own roll call section here (lol) you're

more than welcome to contact us offline - or our friends - or both

jc@horseshoetavern.com (Tara n Jeff 39-46 Toronto)

kathy@macleod.org (Kathy & Myron 55-60 San Diego/Utah)

We're still 2 months away but I know we've both filled out the online forms for the Parka and will start getting whatever winter-wet clothing we don't already own (Travelling from Canada has it's own in-bred advantages)

Louise - Can you promise to post a review for us as soon as you get back?

Thx

jc

Toronto

Well we are definitely excited to be leaving this friday. We are going to Iguacu Falls for a couple of days before we fly down for the cruise.

If anyone has questions about the ship or itinerary I will try to answer when I return.

People don't usually go to the Antarctic for their first cruise. The sea there is known to be rough, to the extent that you may need bedbelts to keep you from falling over. Usually, people start with more regular destinations, try out how they react to sailing (whether you get seasick, and if so how badly and what kind of medication suits you) before something as adventurous as Antarctic! (Unless of course, you have sea experience such as in the navy before, then it is a different story).

It makes sense to me! Many people prefer land vacations, but Antarctica is one of the few places that has to be done by cruise ship. I don't know of anyone who needs medication to cruise, so this post is a bit odd.

• 2 weeks later...

How true this is! I take medication every day that I'm on the ship...this way I make sure that I'm not sick. I'm just back from the Whisper, Singapore-Sydney. The weather was fabulous until the last night which was very rough. Approaching the Sydney heads, the captain turned the stabilisers off so that the pilot could get on and the ship was rocking & rolling something severe - I wasn't sick thanks to the meds!

I will post my review soon.

Cheers

Ging466

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally back from my trip. The ship and trip to Antarctica were great and I'll try to write up more soon.

As for meds I used the patch on the Drake passage crossings and felt nothing, even using the eliptical in something like 20ft seas. My girlfriend was not so fortunate and spent most of the southbound crossing in the room despite stacked meds.

Archived