sickness on Brilliance

sidekick98

Have just returned from Med cruise on Brilliance of the seas 13th Nov till 25th Nov. On our 2nd flight home the wife collapsed was sick had to call medics to the aircraft on landing and later the doctor. She had sickness and diarrhea and was in bed for two days I have since heard of several people coming down with it and of one lady being confined to her cabin. At no time were we told of anything on the cruise and since returning home I have had a letter from RCCL saying that people had legionellosis but not proven where they got it?? on the previous 2 cruises "One of our guests sailed on the ships September 26 - October 8 cruise, and the other 3 guests sailed on the ships November 1 - 13 cruise. Did anyone else on our cruise experience any illness when returning home? We are waiting for the results of tests taken.

How frightening! I am not a doctor. But if she had diarhea, that is not a symptom of Legionnaires. :confused:

It is very possible that the other people did get Legionnaires from the cruise ship (see below). But I am hoping that your wife wasn't one of them. :(

I wish her the best!

How do people get Legionnaires' disease?

People get Legionnaires' disease when they breathe in a mist or vapor (small droplets of water in the air) that has been contaminated with the bacteria. One example might be from breathing in the steam from a whirlpool spa that has not been properly cleaned and disinfected.

The bacteria are NOT spread from one person to another person.

Outbreaks are when two or more people become ill in the same place at about the same time, such as patients in hospitals. Hospital buildings have complex water systems, and many people in hospitals already have illnesses that increase their risk for
Legionella
infection.

Other outbreaks have been linked to aerosol sources in the community, or with cruise ships and hotels, with the most likely sources being whirlpool spas, cooling towers (air-conditioning units from large buildings), and water used for drinking and bathing.

How frightening! I am not a doctor. But if she had diarhea, that is not a symptom of Legionnaires. :confused:

It is very possible that the other people did get Legionnaires from the cruise ship (see below). But I am hoping that your wife wasn't one of them. :(

I wish her the best!

How do people get Legionnaires' disease?

People get Legionnaires' disease when they breathe in a mist or vapor (small droplets of water in the air) that has been contaminated with the bacteria. One example might be from breathing in the steam from a whirlpool spa that has not been properly cleaned and disinfected.

The bacteria are NOT spread from one person to another person.

Outbreaks are when two or more people become ill in the same place at about the same time, such as patients in hospitals. Hospital buildings have complex water systems, and many people in hospitals already have illnesses that increase their risk for
Legionella
infection.

Other outbreaks have been linked to aerosol sources in the community, or with cruise ships and hotels, with the most likely sources being whirlpool spas, cooling towers (air-conditioning units from large buildings), and water used for drinking and bathing.

No my point was not that she had legionella but that RCCL did not inform anyone while on the ship. Think she just had the sickness and diarhea that goes round cruise ships these days

We were on this cruise and have not experienced any problems other than some brief queasiness that I would attribute to the heavy seas we encountered the last 3 or 4 days before Barcelona.

I did hear of others who had some vomiting / diarrhea symptoms in the days after our stop in Croatia -- not sure if that was motion sickness, contagion or food related. I'm sure you've also seen the other reports of these in our M&M thread.

If there were indeed cases of legionalla related illnesses on the cruises immediately preceding ours, I would certainly have appreciated hearing about it. Then again, as we all know, there were already plenty of communication issues on this cruise about other "issues" (prompting the Captain's Corner revolt and petitioning by some idiots, etc.) so I'm not too surprised we didn't hear about this. We used some of the spa facilities that could be routes of transmission and I might have decided differently had I known of this risk.

We were on the same cruise, November 13. I have not been feeling well since monday night when I started to vomit.

Ever since I have been feeling tired, my bones are aching, upset stomach etc...I thought I was getting a cold but a cold does not take so long to break out.

I have heard about others being ill after this cruise also. Including crew. (ofcourse the crew was "only" seasick)

No my point was not that she had legionella but that RCCL did not inform anyone while on the ship. Think she just had the sickness and diarhea that goes round cruise ships these days

They won´t inform people about it until it has been confirmed and it can take up to 10 days to show symptoms of legionella and then you have to add some time to run tests and confirm diagnosis after symptoms started, so very likely there was nothing to inform you about while on the cruise.

They won´t inform people about it until it has been confirmed and it can take up to 10 days to show symptoms of legionella and then you have to add some time to run tests and confirm diagnosis after symptoms started, so very likely there was nothing to inform you about while on the cruise.

Hey sunshine are you one of RCCL knomes (or do you work for them!!!!!!) that come out the woodwork and criticise people for trying to be helpful and inform others there MAY be problems. I did this as the people from cruises go far and wide and wanted to be helpful. I did not think that for one minute my wife had legionella my point was no one was informed us and the first illness was on the 26th September to 8th october ........... time enough ??????? It gets my goat there are folk like you that do not look on the good side of peoples actions.

Hey sunshine are you one of RCCL knomes (or do you work for them!!!!!!) that come out the woodwork and criticise people for trying to be helpful and inform others there MAY be problems. I did this as the people from cruises go far and wide and wanted to be helpful. I did not think that for one minute my wife had legionella my point was no one was informed us and the first illness was on the 26th September to 8th october ........... time enough ??????? It gets my goat there are folk like you that do not look on the good side of peoples actions.

Well if working for RCCL they must have forgotten to send me my paychecks so far, but I wouldn´t mind if they sent me one;)

Where did I criticise you:confused:. You stated that RCCL did not inform you about this while onboard and just with a letter after your return.

I was just pointing out that there could be a reason for not doing so because they didn´t know while you were onboard.

By your own post it was only one during the cruise 26th Sept. to 8th Oct. so my answer is no not enough time because a single case does not show anything. There must be at least a second case of illness from people visiting the same place, so only the three additional cases from the cruise before yours would make it, after further investigating and confirming the source, a case of legionella on the ship.

BTW, no need for me to come out of the woodwork, as I´m here pretty regular anyway.:p

I am sorry to hear your wife got sick ..but please, there is no need at all to attack madforcruising in any way,he is one of the gentlemen of this site. He is a supportive,kind,funny,knowledgeable and very helpful long time member of here. Sorry but you are totally out of order in your post.

I hope you and your wife are well today and not got too much snow..only a dusting here.

Getting sick like your wife did is not a rare thing ....I had Norovirus recently....yip....BUT....I hadnt been on a cruise ship recently.

I am sorry to hear your wife got sick ..but please, there is no need at all to attack madforcruising in any way,he is one of the gentlemen of this site. He is a supportive,kind,funny,knowledgeable and very helpful long time member of here. Sorry but you are totally out of order in your post.

I hope you and your wife are well today and not got too much snow..only a dusting here.

Getting sick like your wife did is not a rare thing ....I had Norovirus recently....yip....BUT....I hadnt been on a cruise ship recently.

:o:o Thanks Liz.

Well I think Im allowed to get at anyone that tries to put people down for helping others when RCCL were at fault for not informing crusers when they are on the ship. Im 100% correct in saying what I said. My letter from RCCL was dated 24th November informing me that people on previous cruises had been ill, we were ALL on the ship till 25th November so now you are going to tell me they were not in contact with the ship ...... !!!!! I dont think so.

My point is they could have told us while still on board but did not.

Bit worried reading this post as we are on the Brilliance on 16th January, although we do take the necessary precautions about geting sick, wash hands regularly, watch what we eat in some ports etc., as my husband takes Warfarin and has to be careful what other meds he takes

What was the Captains Corner revolt and the other issues that were mentioned??

Yes, there are quite a few fanboys and girls who will come down pretty hard on anyone who they think is bashing RCI.

Also there is a bit of a feeling among some that the old timers with lots of post know a little bit more then you or I.

I hope your wife feels better and thanks for the heads up.

Did anyone that was onboard our cruise see any hand sanitizers onboard???

No, I didnt see any!!

Did anyone see the "state" of the mens toilet outside the Dining room?? It was horrible.

Why was a passenger quaranteened to her cabin for a few days.??

Why was so many of the crew "sea sick"???

Well I think Im allowed to get at anyone that tries to put people down for helping others when RCCL were at fault for not informing crusers when they are on the ship. Im 100% correct in saying what I said. My letter from RCCL was dated 24th November informing me that people on previous cruises had been ill, we were ALL on the ship till 25th November so now you are going to tell me they were not in contact with the ship ...... !!!!! I dont think so.

My point is they could have told us while still on board but did not.

What difference would it have made? You should have already been doing the handwashing thing and she was feeling fine on the ship.

Did anyone that was onboard our cruise see any hand sanitizers onboard???

No, I didnt see any!!

Did anyone see the "state" of the mens toilet outside the Dining room?? It was horrible.

Why was a passenger quaranteened to her cabin for a few days.??

Why was so many of the crew "sea sick"???

Never saw hand sanitizers anywhere. That surprised me, especially after we started to hear of some issues. I know their effectiveness is questionable, especially for viral-borne illnesses.

I largely avoided the Windjammer the latter part of this cruise as I started to really notice some unsanitary situations (mostly issues with passengers, such as those "snacking" on their their food right at the food stations, picking up a serving utensil right after popping something into their mouth).

I can't say I saw any issues with that restroom specifically, as I think I only used it once.

I wish RCI would have the tissue dispensers at the restrooms exits that some cruise lines have so that you don't have to touch the door handles on your way out. Of couse, I just take an extra paper towel when drying my hands but many others don't... which makes me wonder why they bothered to wash their hands then (they wouldn't likely use the tissues anyway). These are probably the same people feeding themselves at the serving stations.

What difference would it have made? You should have already been doing the handwashing thing and she was feeling fine on the ship.

She was bad within hours of leaving the ship Im not saying where she got what she had. Was trying to find out if others were bad on ship or after.

yes I WAS but were the OTHER passengers and I may not have used the hot tub had I know something MAY be about. Saw one lady touch several rolls before she found what she wanted Im sure more than myself would have spoken to her had they known there was a possiblity of something about.

:( My daugther is at this moment sitting at the Miami port, waiting to board the FOS, which just came back, they are in RED ALERT, because there are about 100 people sick on board this ship that just returned....What do you think?...I don't now what is the illness at this point...wait she comes back.....

My daughter is at the miami port at this time, waiting to board FOS, they have a RED ALERT, probably till 3pm becase 100 people came sick from this cruise, there were paramedics, etc, she does not know what is going on, will find out more later when they return next Sunday, hope they will be okay..

My daughter is at the miami port at this time, waiting to board FOS, they have a RED ALERT, probably till 3pm becase 100 people came sick from this cruise, there were paramedics, etc, she does not know what is going on, will find out more later when they return next Sunday, hope they will be okay..

More than likely they are going to delay boarding to completely clean the ship. This can take a while to complete. All it takes is one person to bring this on board and it can spread like wildfire. Unfortunately there are people that feel they do not have to wash their hands after using the restroom.

I was on the Freedom 11/02 and there were hand wiping towels at all dining room entrances. Of course this does not take the place of hand washing. I personally wish that the cruise lines would do away with the self serve buffet stations and have the crew to serve. This would help in cutting down on this issue and probably save on waste of food too. I hope that your daughter has a great cruise. The Freedom is a beautiful ship and the crew was great.

Archived