Bonamine

cherrypop

I went looking for Bonamine at a few drugstores here in Vancouver and apparently they dont sell it in canada anymore. Does anyone know if I would be able to purchase it in San Diego or if there is something that works as well without making one sleepy?

Same as Dramamine II or Antivert...although Antivert is the prescription formula at double strength of Bonine. I have seen it all over CA...easy to find or equivalent. I believe it is readily available on the ships too...but I like to take a couple Bonine at bedtime the night before, then 1 in the morning and 1 each night while on board. Have not had a problem on my DHs smaller fishing boat or on cruise ship.

Maybe ask a pharmacist if they have the equivalent under a different trade name.

Ask for meclizine.... In some U.S. states, it is available over the counter. Other states you need an Rx. Ask at your pharmacy.

Bonine is a brand name.

On HAL ships, go to the front office and ask for some. They usually have a supply there. Or go to the Infirmary. I don't think there is a charge.

I went looking for Bonamine at a few drugstores here in Vancouver and apparently they dont sell it in canada anymore. Does anyone know if I would be able to purchase it in San Diego or if there is something that works as well without making one sleepy?

The correct spelling is BONINE.

Hi Cherrypop. You are correct in the spelling for Canada. Bonine is the American spelling. FYI. It has been in short supply Canada wide recently and I called the company and they sent a letter out saying until further notice the product is not available in Canada. They would let us know when it may or may not come back into production. They cited a raw material shortage and other manufacturing problems. I am the head buyer for a small chain of independant pharmacies in southern Ontario. The letter did state they were not associated with the American production. Our customers have been adjusting to other products on the open market so far but this just came about the end of October 2008.Hope this clears the air so to speak. Colakid.

Hi Cherrypop, I just got some last week at Shoppers Drug Mart. I don't know if you Shoppers down at your end of the country. It was not on the shelf, but I asked at the pharmacy counter and the assistant counted out the number of pills I wanted. She said they are now keeping them behind the counter.

As an aside, you can get these pills on the ship from the front office(and there is no charge). I usually head down there daily if the weather is rough.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived