Back today from CB Princess

titomalu

Wow, what a great ship and crew. I am a platinum member of Royal Caribbean, this was my first trip in a Princess Ship. I was extremely impressed !! The service was excellent, the food outstanding, the crew - all the way down from Captain to cryuse director, servers, waiters and stewards were one of the best and friendliest crews I have had the pleasure to travel with.

It is all in the details that Princess has and Royal lost. Popcorn in the MUTS, cookies and milk around the pool at all times, blankets for folks watching the movies, people remembering your name, selection and tastes. Really felt pampered with Princess.

The experience was so good that I did something I've never done before. I booked on board for an Alaska Cruise in 2010.

The boat was not as modern as the Adventure of the seas, but the service, food and overall experience was excellent - outstanding.

If you have the pleasure of going soon, ask for Olsen in the Palm Dining Room - one of the best waiters of all time, and look for Aggie in the Lobby bar - his machiato is so good, all the Italian Crew - from captain to Maitre D and others, get their coffee from Aggie. He's that good.

Hope this helps..... Excellent, outstanding job Princess and all of the Caribbean Princess staff.

Thanks for the review titomalu.

How is embarkation and debarkation going since the CB has had a few weeks to settle into her new home port of San Juan? We are just wondering since we leave next Sunday.

I am glad you had an good time and enjoyed the CB. Princess is our favorite cruise line we have tried. We keep going back.

You will love Alaska. That was the first cruise our group ever did back in 2003. We are officially addicted to cruising now.

as far emb/deb it was very good. CB is using the Pan American Pier, which is owned and operated by Royal Caribbean. The embarkation process was as close to perfect as it gets. Absolutely no lines. I got to the port at 2pm as suggested and was in the ship 10 minutes later.

You can buy wine, alcohol and cigarettes at the duty free shop in the embarkation lobby. If you bring a bag and put the alcohol in the bag, you will be able to bring it into the ship, no problem.

As far as disembarking it was also very good. Less than 10 minutes to get out of the boat too. (I'm an American Citizen, I don't know if it is similar for non-us citizens.)

Princess gives you a debarkation time and area to meet, our time was at 10:40 but we were out by 9:15 - it was quick.

Have a good time. The crew is excellent !! You will have the same route we took. Don't miss St. Lucia and the COSOL Tour, it's good !! In Tortola you can go to the Baths using SPEEDY's, which is a ferry that costs $38 pp, opposed to $69 with princess.

Have fun.

Thank you so much for this information. We board the CB a week from today;) I am so glad to here all went well. It looks like we are taking so of the same excursions also. Can't wait!!

Were you in San Juan early? If so did the hotel keep your bags until you went to the port or were you able to check your bags onboard early and then hang out in town until 2pm?

Thanks so much for the review. Going the same in April and booking excursions on our own. I'm a little nervous as this is a first for us, but we have already booked Cosol based on all the reviews and his speedy replies to my questions. Any info on times you used Speedy's to go over and returning would be appreciated. Don't want to miss the 'boat'!:eek:

Thanks so much for the review. Going the same in April and booking excursions on our own. I'm a little nervous as this is a first for us, but we have already booked Cosol based on all the reviews and his speedy replies to my questions. Any info on times you used Speedy's to go over and returning would be appreciated. Don't want to miss the 'boat'!:eek:

Hi mea

We are also on the April 26th cruise. It sounds like we will be doing Cosol together. What else have you booked? Trying to find something good to do in Barbados, but haven't made up my mind yet.

to answer some of your questions:

1) Baths: 11 and 14 yr old will love them. take water shoes and a ziploc bag for your camera. There is a spot where you have to crawl in between rocks, walk in some water and climb a few stairs. The water is beautiful, crystal clear and well worth the 38 bucks.

2) Bags: I'm from Puerto Rico so I don't know about the bag issue. My best guess is to check directly with princess. I recall that there might be a service that takes bags to the airport. But your best bet is to check with princess.

Don't miss the Hypnotist show, the Piano Man show and Bert Stratton in the lobby. They are all excellent.

A couple of tips, there is a sale of tshirts and bags on one of the days 2 for $20. There is also a day of sale items for Swaroski, Watches, bags, etc.. Check the patter.

Best port for bargains will probably be St. Thomas, St. Lucia and Antigua. Barbados is very expensive.

If you can, take the Cosol tour in St. Lucia, email Cosol directly. He will take you to a rainfall, the volcano and a beach in the Pitons (very well worth it). I had gone to St. Lucia before and never taken a tour, I'm glad I did it this time.

St. Thomas - go shopping early. The stores are empty around 9 - 10 am. It's a $4 dollar cab ride from the ship (each way !!). Be advised, the ship docks in Crown Bay, not in Havensight (West End Pier).

I heard that Lobster was served the first 2 nights in the Caribe Cafe, I missed them.

I will post more things later, have to go to Mass.....

Hi swom,

Don't know about Barbados either, thinking of just getting a taxi to a close beach. Maybe the ship's Malibu Beach Getaway? :confused: So many choices and the time is getting closer. Really looking forward to the Baths excursion in Tortola, hope Speedy's works out for us. The ship price in high compared to time actually spent at beach.

Hi mea

We booked White Squall II in Tortola. They are suppose to go to the baths on Monday, Weds. and Friday and since we will be there on Friday, I am looking forward to the baths as well. Hope to meet you onboard.

Susan

A word of caution about going to the Baths in Tortola. If I remember correctly, we used Speedy's. A ferry takes you over to Virgin Gorda and a taxi takes you to the Baths. The driver makes arrangements to pick you up at a certain time in order to get back to the ferry in time to re-board your ship. Unfortunately, the cab driver never came back for us and we almost missed our ship. We were fortunate that there just happened to be a private taxi at the Bath's who rushed us to the ferry, which was late (thank goodness) or we would have missed the ship because the next ferry was about 3 hours later. I don't think Speedy's is very reliable.

The baths were awesome.

Regards,

Arlene

TITOMALU

Thanks for the great review. We are going on Sun Dec 7th and was hoping to hear from someone who was just off her before we left.

One question, you said you were able to bring on alcohol as well as wine, I'm a little confused. I know you can bring wine on board and we were planning to buy two bottles but wasn't aware you could also purchase alcohol and get it on board. I thought they took any liquor brought on board especially if you carry it on.

How do you get it thru San Juan customs and onto the ship.

Very curious as I am sure others are who will be sailing on the CB over the next little while. If your read the threads many are trying to smuggle liquor on but if you can buy it at the pier then why bother.

:confused::confused:

addicted cruiser

Hi swom,

Don't know about Barbados either, thinking of just getting a taxi to a close beach. Maybe the ship's Malibu Beach Getaway? :confused: So many choices and the time is getting closer. Really looking forward to the Baths excursion in Tortola, hope Speedy's works out for us. The ship price in high compared to time actually spent at beach.

We wanted to do Malibu Beach but is was waitlisted. We decided to go on our own. The Taxi was $20.00 for four people and boatyard beach was $20.00 per person admission. The price includes a beach chair a free drink and a taxi ride back. Lunch is very expensive on this beach. I have to agree with original poster that Barbados is very expensive.

Wow, what a great ship and crew. I am a platinum member of Royal Caribbean, this was my first trip in a Princess Ship. I was extremely impressed !! The service was excellent, the food outstanding, the crew - all the way down from Captain to cryuse director, servers, waiters and stewards were one of the best and friendliest crews I have had the pleasure to travel with.

It is all in the details that Princess has and Royal lost. Popcorn in the MUTS, cookies and milk around the pool at all times, blankets for folks watching the movies, people remembering your name, selection and tastes. Really felt pampered with Princess.

The experience was so good that I did something I've never done before. I booked on board for an Alaska Cruise in 2010.

The boat was not as modern as the Adventure of the seas, but the service, food and overall experience was excellent - outstanding.

If you have the pleasure of going soon, ask for Olsen in the Palm Dining Room - one of the best waiters of all time, and look for Aggie in the Lobby bar - his machiato is so good, all the Italian Crew - from captain to Maitre D and others, get their coffee from Aggie. He's that good.

Hope this helps..... Excellent, outstanding job Princess and all of the Caribbean Princess staff.

Happy that you enjoyed your trip. We did the same one 2 weeks ago. We have sailed with Princess 3 times and twice on CB. We will be sailing again for the third time in May. I can't wait to see how she turns out after dry dock.

Thank you for the review. We are also Platinum on RCI. I went on my first Princess cruise last January with my Mom, so I am going back on Princess, this time bringing along DH, My DB & SIL, along with Mom and my cousin!

I was very glad to hear that your embarkment and especially your disembarkment went well. We currently have a noon flight so I am concerned about getting to the airport on time. Do you know if self disembarkment is available yet?

TITOMALU

Thanks for the great review. We are going on Sun Dec 7th and was hoping to hear from someone who was just off her before we left.

One question, you said you were able to bring on alcohol as well as wine, I'm a little confused. I know you can bring wine on board and we were planning to buy two bottles but wasn't aware you could also purchase alcohol and get it on board. I thought they took any liquor brought on board especially if you carry it on.

How do you get it thru San Juan customs and onto the ship.

Very curious as I am sure others are who will be sailing on the CB over the next little while. If your read the threads many are trying to smuggle liquor on but if you can buy it at the pier then why bother.

:confused::confused:

addicted cruiser

here is how it works. When you come inside to checkin in the SJ pier, there is a duty free store accross the checkin desk. If you have an empty bag with you, you can buy alcohol in the store and carry it on the ship and it will not be checked. The key here is that you have to have the alcohol in a closed bag to carry on.

If you don't have a bag and use the store's shopping bag, when you get to the ship security will take the bottles. It only works with a closed bag (backpack in my case)

Princess allows each passenger to bring up to two bottles of wine or champagne, no problem. you can take them with you to dinner and you will be charged a $15 dollar corkage fee.

With other alcohol like rum, vodka, gin, whiskey, scotch etc...Princess does not allow its entry in ports. In San Juan what happens is that the bag check (x-ray) is done in the terminal and they allow the alcohol to go through in a carry on. In other ports like barbados, st thomas, antigua, st. lucia - the x-ray is done by princess aboard the ship and they do not allow entry of alcohol in the ship.

i hope this explains. The important thing is to bring an xtra carry on and buy your stuff in San Juan if you want to bring alcohol in the ship. It will only work in San Juan, not in the other ports. I don't qualify this a smuggling because everybody knows about it and even princess employees go to the store.

by the way, you don't have to buy the stuff in the duty free store, you can bring it from outside too. It only has to be in a carry on.

welcome back Thanks for the info

can you please tell me what time was the lifeboat drill????

I heard it was 7:30PM-8PM But i really need to know for sure...We need to schedule dinner before or after

thanks

*sweet*

It was on Sunday before we left at around 7pm and lasted about a half hour.

definitely plan on dinner at around 8.

• 3 years later...

I know your info is a few years old, but did you see alcohol confiscated boarding the ship when you were in the ports you mention, other than SJ? We were planning on buying a bottle of wine or two at each port and bring it back onto the ship - but may have to change our plans based on your input

We sailed on the CB (Southern Caribbean itineraries) in 2009 and 2010 and neither time did they confiscate wine if you brought it on board at the ports. Princess is good about letting you bring on wine and champagne; at least that was our experience. Not sure about other types of libations/liquors. Have fun! :D

We sailed on the CB (Southern Caribbean itineraries) in 2009 and 2010 and neither time did they confiscate wine if you brought it on board at the ports. Princess is good about letting you bring on wine and champagne; at least that was our experience. Not sure about other types of libations/liquors. Have fun! :D

Hi, we were on the Sea princess in feb/march this year and there was no problem in carrying on a bottle of wine in Grenada, Bonaire,Aruba,St Kitts or anywhere else on our 14 day cruise.I did not see anyone confiscating wine but did see a couple of people have large bottles of spirits confiscated but half bottles were often ignored.

Welcome to my world :D:):D

Seriously though, great review

Srpilo

Archived