can't decide princess or HAL

carol allen

My husband and I are both in late 50's

we have never been on HAL but would like to experience the noordam to the carribbean

We enjoy hearing good bands in the evening and seeing good entertainment.

We also enjoy relaxing by the pool during the day.

The intinery and time frame is great on Noordam Novembe 1st but

WILL WE ENJOY THE CHANGE FROM PRINCESS TO HAL

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES

THANKS SO MUCH

CAROL

DOES ANYONE HAVE A MENU FOR THE MAIN DINING ROOM

ALSO, LOOKING AT A VD BALCONY CABIN - ANY SUGGESTIONS OR THOUGHTS????

we have never been on HAL but would like to experience the noordam to the carribbean

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES

THANKS SO MUCH

CAROL

IMO, the balcony cabins, bedding, service, and dining room food are all superior on HAL (over Princess). HAL is more low-key, relaxing and, in some respects, more civilized. Both cruise lines handle open dining competently. The aft pool on HAL is a great place to relax, though I was even more impressed by the design and the calm of the Terrace pool on Princess' Grand-class.

However, entertainment is much more varied on Princess. HAL's Vista class ships typically have a dance combo, two pianists, and the HAL Cats. Members of the HAL Cats serve as the party band but also back up the entertainers in the main theater. That's it, except for the nightly shows and the DJ. There is far less entertainment choice than on Princess. If at least one of the HAL lounge acts is good then you're set. If not, then the evenings become something of a trial and the above-average library becomes an even greater asset.

Like you, we also enjoy a variety of entertainment, and for that reason will cruise Princess again. From our perspective, however, HAL offers a superior product in just about every other respect.

Rich

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES

THANKS SO MUCH

CAROL

Carol,

I think if you enjoy Princess, you will love HAL. I find the service on HAL to be higher and more attentive. Your ages definately fit into their target market.

They both offer anytime dining, and both have excellent food offerings in the dining room.

Both have very nice cabins, although HALS standard balcony is slightly more generous, and has a full tub in the bathroom rather than a small stand up shower that you will find on princess. The Balcony furniture is nicer and the closet space is closed, as opposed to the open area outside the bath that is the closet on Princesses ships. HAL also provides robes in all their balcony cabins, a selection of glasses (wine, champagne, cocktail, etc) in their cabins, as well as a wine/bottle opener. HAL also provides small bottles of shampoo, lotion, conditioner and body wash, where princess offers the small paper tear open packs of amenities in all cabins but mini-suites and suites (unless you are elite).

HAL's beds are more comfortable and bathroom linens are nicer than Princess, as Princess only offers upgraded bedding and towels in their minisuites and suites.

The HAL ships are, and those that arent seem like they are, smaller and more intimate than the Princess ships (with the exception of the Coral, Island, Royal, Pacific and Tahitian Princess). HAL serves hot and cold canapes in the lounges in the evenings, which I think is nice. They have excellent evening entertainment in the lounges as well.

When I travel on HAL, I usually have my mother traveling in a cabin next to me (she is in her 60's) and the attentive service is a huge draw for me when I am traveling with her. Its an easier experience for me, as the personal service they offer her allow me to enjoy my vacation.

Princess has a great product, and is pretty consistent from ship to ship. Their cabins are all very much the same, as are most of their newer ships, with only slight differences.

Also, if you are platinum or ceturian amex holder, HAL, like Princess, offers some onboard amenities to you as well.

Overall, I would say HAL is a slightly more premium experience than Princess, and definately recommend it.

I would recommend the VD balcony cabins, as some of the balconies in this category are slightly larger than the others, although they are on deck 4 - upper promenade.

Hope this is helpful!

hI

Thanks for your quick replies

We just cruised on Emerald Princess in October and did not enjoy it. I was amazingly surprised that it did not feel like a new ship at all and the ceilings were very low

the food eally was not good at all and the entertainment was good but as far as good music in lounges or disco was not to be had

so if you are saying my husband and I are of average age - (but I know many are in their 60's and 70's I just might try Holland America

I was looking at the VD balcony cabins any advice on these

thanks again so so much

Carol

hI

I was looking at the VD balcony cabins any advice on these

Carol

I would recommend the VD balcony cabins, as some of the balconies in this category are slightly larger than the others, although they are on deck 4 - upper promenade and only forward or aft on this deck.

There are a few differences between Princess and HAL but IMHO, they are pretty minor. I have yet to experience better food or service on HAL (with 46 days) than Princess; I think they're pretty equal although I've had much better dining room and cabin service, and food, on Princess and mediocre-to-poor waitstaff and stewards on HAL. It really all depends on your personal experience. Oh, and I also found the bed, and bedding, much better on Princess than HAL, comparing my Crown Princess cruise in July with my Prinsendam cruise in October.

The lounges and entertainment are generally better on Princess and you have more to choose from; it's usually pretty dead or very subdued on HAL not long after dinner. On the other hand, HAL has hot appetizers during cocktail hour and a much better room service menu. Princess offers many more, and excellent, "always available" items at dinner time but we found the Lido on HAL terrific for dinner.

Although the two cruiselines are marketed differently, you'll find a lot of similarities.

Happy Cruzer

I guess what I mean is we like to listen to music of the 60, 70, 80 etc and that there is a lounge where you can go after dinner for drinks

Also the disco would be nice

main question is do holland america cruisers do things at night or is the ship deserted

We are in our late 50's - wondering the average age group of most people on a 10 day cruise

is there really a difference in the food being better

thanks Carol

We just got off the Ryndam this morning and we were talking about what we liked about the Dawn Princess from last year and this year's trip. We sailed the Mexican Riviera both times with the added Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam.

We noticed the lack of music around the ship on the Ryndam. It seemed like everywhere we went on the Dawn that there was music whether it was in the atrium or pool side. This didn't happen on the Ryndam. However, when there was music in the evening we enjoyed it. We especially liked the jazz combo and the classical string quartet We were not impressed by the shows with the production company. We did enjoy the comedian and the magician.

The rooms: HAL is far superior! We had an inside room on both. There was room for a love seat and a chair on Hal. There was barely room for a chair on the Princess. Room service: Hal is far superior! We ate breakfast twice and dinner the last night because of G.I. problems on board. choices were numerous and delicious. Same menus as the Rotterdam dining room.

If you travel in a suite the room size may not matter. The outside cabin is only slightly larger then the inside on both ships so it does matter to us.

dining room choices: we found that both cruiselines had excellent choices.

Service on the HAL was disappointing in the AYWD area.

They actually had more variety on the Dawn P.

Lobster night on Ryndam was awesome! I guess TMI but, oh well.

We just disembarked from a 34 day cruise on the Dawn Princess. We are fans of both both lines but I must say that Princess has realy gone down these past cruises. The lounges are smoke filled and the food has taken a down turn / Some dinners were inedible.

The Dawn is fortunately being taken out of service in the USA. The entertainment was good but the cruise director was not to be seen and not for the passesngers. We are elite members of the captain's club and enjoy the perks of the club but cannot think of another cruise on the line unless they change. Hal is a more upscale line now and the food and service are far superior. The show lounge is a fire trap on the Dawn,. We had to wait an hour before showtime with reading material in order to be seated. We were very disappointed. Its HAL from now on!

Happy Cruzer

I guess what I mean is we like to listen to music of the 60, 70, 80 etc and that there is a lounge where you can go after dinner for drinks

Also the disco would be nice

main question is do holland america cruisers do things at night or is the ship deserted

We are in our late 50's - wondering the average age group of most people on a 10 day cruise

is there really a difference in the food being better

thanks Carol

I'm guessing the the music you enjoyed on Princess was in the lounge since you say 60s thru 80s. the Wheelhouse would have had older dance standards. And then there is a disco. Hal has the equivalent of the Wheelhouse and the disco. But beside the production show lounge there is not a rock type live band that I know of. So you would have your choice of piano soloist, classical trio, classic dance band in the Ocean bar, disco and production show. So I do think there is one less music venu on HAL compared to the larger Princess ships like the Grand and the Crown.

The dance band tends to always draw a crowd. The disco is hit or miss depending on the itenarary. Sometimes it can be quiet. The piano bar and other venus where folks mainly listen are usually very busy.

My two cents.

We have done several cruises on both lines and never met a cruise we did not like! We do enjoy the classical music on HAL ships........a string quartet or other combo with international performers. This will make a cruise for us when other areas are equal!

We have done several cruises on both lines and never met a cruise we did not like! We do enjoy the classical music on HAL ships........a string quartet or other combo with international performers. This will make a cruise for us when other areas are equal!
One thing I really enjoy on Princess is the string quartet or pianist (they relieve each other after a couple of hours) playing in the Atrium most of the day and evening on most of the ships.

Just off the Oosterdam Mexican Riviera last week. My first HAL experience after sailing on Princess 6 times. Every night after dinner we had nothing to do and ended up going to bed early.

On HAL they have their shows early so if you have dinner around 8 you're out of luck unless you go to a show before dinner. I was bored to tears at night. I'm not exactly a party animal but for goodness sake have something going on at night besides an old guy playing the piano. The dance place was deserted and we weren't exactly excited about dancing by ourselves on the dance floor.

Personally I don't plan on sailing HAL again for this reason alone. I like entertainment after dinner and more goings-on.

I also felt the ship design was uninspiring. It felt very chopped up and not open and flowing.

DW would tell you Princess. Brighter decor, better dining room food, service similar, buffet not as good as HAL but open much longer, coffee much better on HAL, entertainment on HAL and Princess about the same...not great, steward service on Princess a little better and more visable staffing, beds much more comfortable on HAL. As for me, the bed was better and the coffee was MUCH better on HAL, I could get my caps with a double shot of express no problemo in the AM. I would choose itinerary first, then price would win with me. Both were great from my perspective.

DW also reminded me that she very much likes the book exchange Princess has in their libraries. HAL did not have this on our one and only trip. And if you go with HAL, take some books because as the other poster said they roll up the sidewalks pretty early. This did not concern us but it was a noticeable difference from other ships/lines that we have been on. Princess had too many trash and trinket stands...they would crowd the foyers with the stuff making it difficult to get by as others stopped to take a look at the wares. I am certain that it was wonderful product but I am not a shopper.

If you already know you didn't like Princess too well, then sure, give HAL a try. Very low key, but very nice too. Celebrity is also an option for you.

I second that suggestion. You've tried Princess. Take a Celebrity or HAL cruise (or both) and see how they compare with Princess.

Archived