What documents will we need for Embarkation?

Avril

I was just wondering what we'll need for Embarkation when my Mom and I board the Eurodam for our New Years cruise on Dec. 27th. This is my 13th cruise but my 1st with HAL so I'm not sure if their requirements are the same as the other lines I've sailed on. We've done our "Signature Prefered Boarding Pass" online but we got an "Immagration Questionare" with our docs. Do we have to have both? Is the one with our docs for the Bahamas (we're going to Half Moon Cay)? I also know that we need to have valid passports (we're Canadian). Do we need Birth Certificates and/or Driver's Licences? We're going from Ft. Lauderdale to Half Moon Cay, Aruba and Curacao with 3 sea days if that makes a difference. I just want to be sure we have everythinbg we need so we can board the ship as quickly as possible, I'm so excited for this cruise!! :D :D

Thanks!!!! :D :D

If you have your passport, you won't need a birth certificate and drivers license. The boarding pass you completed on-line, and will have with you, is the computer version of the Immigration Questionaire that came with your documents.

If the Bahamas is still requiring an Immigration form it will be given to you at check-in, as will a short medical questionaire.

Checking in has got to be one of the easiest parts of the first day. Much easier than unpacking! :D

The immigration form that I received with my documents is a duplication of the online check-in information. I received no Bahamian Immigration questionnaire. I found the following information after logging in to online check-in:

Embarkation:

"IMPORTANT: For this procedure, you will need to present your travel documents, including your Cruise Ticket portion of your Cruise Contract, a completed Immigration questionnaire (one per person), the Bahamian Immigration questionnaire (one per person, if applicable) and the required proof of citizenship. You can expedite your check-in by completing the Online Check-In prior to leaving home. For more information on this and the documentation you will need to have with you, please see Documentation. You may also receive arrival documentation from Immigration when arriving at the airport. Please keep these available for check-in..."

[The link below may not be accessible without log in.]

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Transportation&contentMenu=Arrival,+Boarding+%26+Disembarkation&contentSubMenu=Boarding+Procedures

Information about the Boarding Pass was on another page:

"Please note: The Signature Preferred Boarding Pass will help expedite your check-in at embarkation by providing us with the information we need to serve you. Please submit your information online, with confidence that our encryption technology is utilized specifically to keep your information secure. Once you have submitted your information online, please print your Pass and bring it along with your documentation (Passport, any required visas, and any required immunization documents) and present it to the staff waiting to check you in at the embarkation pier."

I am making the wild assumption that I do not need the printed immigration form if you have printed the boarding pass.

"WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND CARRYING A PASSPORT VALID FOR SIX MONTHS BEYOND THE DURATION OF YOUR TRAVEL."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Essential+Documentation&contentSubMenu=Identification+%26+Passports

Embarkation:

"IMPORTANT: For this procedure, you will need to present your travel documents, including your Cruise Ticket portion of your Cruise Contract, a completed Immigration questionnaire (one per person), the Bahamian Immigration questionnaire (one per person, if applicable) and the required proof of citizenship. You can expedite your check-in by completing the Online Check-In prior to leaving home. For more information on this and the documentation you will need to have with you, please see Documentation. You may also receive arrival documentation from Immigration when arriving at the airport. Please keep these available for check-in..."

You will rarely see the bolded part mentioned here. When boarding in Europe this past summer, we had to show our Cruise Tickets before port officials would allow us in the building to check-in with HAL. We weren't the only ones digging then out of our bags. You may not need them, but I sure wouldn't suggest leaving them home.

Thanks everyone, I think we have everything we need all filled out and ready to go!!!! :D

If you have your passport, you won't need a birth certificate and drivers license. The boarding pass you completed on-line, and will have with you, is the computer version of the Immigration Questionaire that came with your documents.

If the Bahamas is still requiring an Immigration form it will be given to you at check-in, as will a short medical questionaire.

Checking in has got to be one of the easiest parts of the first day. Much easier than unpacking! :D

Ok, so since Mom and I have filled out the online immagration questionare and gotten our boarding passes, we don't have to worry about the paper questionare that came with our docs? We will have our passports with us. And we don't have to worry about having an immagration questionare for the Bahamas before leaving home? I don't know if we need one for the Bahamas anyway. :confused: We didn't when my Fiance and I sailed on the Carnival Valor in October and one of our ports was Nassau. :D I just thought that maybe since HMC is a private island that the Bahamian athouraties (sp) mught be a bit more carful and therefore, you have to fill out the questionare.

I don't find unpacking hard, just a huge pain in the a**!! :( It's great to hear that embarkation is so easy!! :D

Avril - about extra identification.....I always take my passport with me everywhere. However, I also take driver's license/birth certificate/passport photocopy - and those I stash in the room safe.

I don't want to get into the same debate here that's bubbling on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board, but my logic is: if I miss the ship due to illness, accident, or stupidity, I want to have my passport with me. However, if I'm dumb enough to lose my passport ashore, I want to have backups ID which will get me back into the U.S. (which a DL+BC will do, until June 1 2009).

Just my take on things, YMMV!

Archived