La Romana, Dominican Republic ???

snl

I was wondering if anyone has any good places to see/do there. This is one port we have never been to and from what I've been reading it might be better just to stay on ship.

Any info would be great! Thanks to all in advance.

Carnival Splendor Dec 13, 2008:D

NCL Sky...Aug 08

RCCL Liberty OS...Dec 07

Crown Princess...Dec 06

Carnival Liberty...Dec 05

RCCL Mariner OS...Dec 04

RCCL Radiance OS...Dec 03

Carnival Imagination...Dec 02

We're taking the ship excursion to Santa Domingo. From what i've read, the area isn't very secure...but the beaches are supposed to be gorgeous. I'd make sure whatever I did was through the ship though. I see you'll be sailing the week after us.

We just got back from LaRomana. When there we just wanted to kick back on the beach since we have younh kids.

So we took a taxi to Bayahibe Beach. It cost $60 round trip including the driver waiting two hours for us at the beach. $15/hour extra wait time.

It's about a 25 minute drive. The beach is beautiful and a guide will greet your cab when you arrive and offer you a placeon the beach and rentable beach chairs. He then would like you to buy stuff from his little shop (you don't have to but we did since he was very nice),

The beach was safe and our "guy" could go and fetch us beers and bring them to us while we kicked back in the sand. There were no waves and the water was warm and pretty blue/green and clear. Local skippers will take you to close-by snorkel spots but we did not do that. Other than that not lots to do here but kick back ad enjoy the beach.

Enjoy!

We just got back from LaRomana. When there we just wanted to kick back on the beach since we have younh kids.

So we took a taxi to Bayahibe Beach. It cost $60 round trip including the driver waiting two hours for us at the beach. $15/hour extra wait time.

It's about a 25 minute drive. The beach is beautiful and a guide will greet your cab when you arrive and offer you a placeon the beach and rentable beach chairs. He then would like you to buy stuff from his little shop (you don't have to but we did since he was very nice),

The beach was safe and our "guy" could go and fetch us beers and bring them to us while we kicked back in the sand. There were no waves and the water was warm and pretty blue/green and clear. Local skippers will take you to close-by snorkel spots but we did not do that. Other than that not lots to do here but kick back ad enjoy the beach.

Enjoy!

So were there taxis waiting when you got on the island?

I think you said it with your first post I recommend staying on the boat. I have been to Samana and LA Romana on cruise ships and the were gross, unsafe and such a let down. In La Romana both times I've been there people got robbed, or taken by taxi to be robbed or Jipped by store people who took thier money and instead of giving change told them to buy more stuff, Had thier cameras stollen off the beach and thats just what I heard about from other cruise critic members. We went to the European like town which had a turnstyle at the enterance. YES A TURNSTYLE we went when we got there and nothing was open except where you pay to get in and there was nothing there to do. We also took a cab to "town" where he tried to drop us off on a corner with a group of people waiting (to rob up, I assume) being from NY I bit off the cab drivers head and told him I was not stupid he APOLOGIZED and dropped us off at the park where we did some light shopping. We were able to negotiated a necklas from $60 to $5, coffee from $10 to $2 and a magnet from $5 to $1. We then stopped by a bar for a drink where I paid exact change but the table next to us was arguing about the change he received. We then decided to go back to the boat since safety seemed to be A BIG ISSUE!!! They are just not ready yet and everything (Tour wise) is overpriced and a lot of people complained about their trips. Think of how nice the boat will be that day. Sleep in, Give the water slide a try, or just shop at the store right in the cruise terminal do not go to town.

I would agree the place is good only to stay on ship. 8 of us walked up to the town and were immediately accosted by "official" staff tour guides who wanted to steer us to their junk shops of choice. not sure where they got paid from, but they always tried to put on a good face and appear as if they were a part of the cruise ship organization. they are NOT! I would typically stay away from places that have policeman with rubber truncheons and riot shotguns in a tourist area. now that I know what la romana is about it makes me wonder about the other all inclusive resorts there too?!

we took a taxi to altos de chavon. nothing much there but some nice views, and overpriced stuff. there was a 'light show' and a promoted outside concert/dance show, but it poured that night so that was canceled.

everyone aboard was talking about the rumor going around (confirmed by our steward) that the trip before 6 of the crew were mugged and hospitalized while in town. even the crew didn't go ashore here!

i have gone on two cruises since then and i ALWAYS make sure the itinerary does NOT include DR. I have NO wish to go to a threatening vacation area.

your thought of staying aboard is probably best.

I can't imagine staying on ship when there is an adventure waiting at every port. I guess it's a question of choice but I enjoy cruising because I enjoy getting off and "seeing stuff".

That being said, this is a difficult port. I would recommend you do a ship excursion or go to the beach in Bayahibe which you can do on your own.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=732517 for my answers to how to do this. We had a wonderful day!

I would not recommend going to town alone. We heard many stories on the ship of people who were very uncomfortable while in town. We had a quick drive in as one of the couples in our taxi wanted to be let off in town. They were black and spoke spanish so I'm sure they were fine (not trying to stereotype but they didn't look like tourists) but there is no way I would have got out in town.

We're taking the ship excursion to Santa Domingo. From what i've read, the area isn't very secure...but the beaches are supposed to be gorgeous. I'd make sure whatever I did was through the ship though. I see you'll be sailing the week after us.

Just be aware it is a long ride to Santo D omingo from where the ship docks.. and you really won't see much...although S.D. is a wonderful city, restaurants, the Mercado, etc.

We love to vacation in La Romana.. and we go to the city to go shopping at the market.. Yes, you have to be aware of your surroundings.. we have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM..IF YOU GET A cab from one of the green shirted guides it's a lot better than a regular D.R. taxi driver whose union is very strong.. As for staying on the ship.. oh well, then again I can't wait to get to Cartegena, Colombia again.. and folks.. we are senior citizens.. If the driver stayed with you that is a defin. plus.. We love La Romana and the D.R. and the people

It's a shame this reply will be too late for the OP, as they embarked the day we disembarked. We were in La Romana this past week on the Splendor. CCL offers an excursion to Altos de Chavon for $39.00 adult/$20.00 child. We had considered this excursion considering the weather did not look as if it would cooperate for a beach excursion. I'm so glad we did not do the excursion thru CCL. We took the shuttle available there at the port for $7.00pp round trip. There was no fee for Altos de Chavon. Although the construction of Altos de Chavon only started in 1976, it looks as if you have taken a step back in time. The view of the landscapes are beautiful, the stone amphitheater is amazing, even many the pathways stone are visually stimulating. Be sure to take a camera if you choose to visit Altos de Chavon. Be advised the shops can be pricey and many employees do not speak english. We even had our 10yr old daughter with us and felt very comfortable having her there. There is also a small duty free store set up at the port I would suggest buying anything you are interested in at the duty free store, the prices are less expensive and the same product(ex: small paintings, coffees, various trinkets) you will find at the village.

We also just got back from the Splendor cruise with a all day stop here. Do NOT book the Altos excursion from the ship as you will waste your money. As soon as you get off the ship, there is two shuttle waiting there. One for the La Marina and the other for Altos, each are $5 and $7, respective.

We did both in one day and you definitely have the time for both. La Marina - there isn't much there except some high-end shopping, marina, decent picture taking. But the big thing there is the supermarket. You can get local coffee for aboput $2.50 per package. The store next to the ship charges $5 and also the same coffee in the States runs $10. So, stock up. We just tried the coffee this weekend and it is great.

The other shuttle to Altos is $7, but worth the trip. There are some great areas for pictures, so be sure to take your cameras.

As far as downtown, didn't hear anything good or bad. I did hear from some folks that when they tried to walk to downtown (it looks like at least a 20 minute walk or more), the guard won't let them outside the field area without being in a taxi. So, they ended up walking back to the ship area and taking a taxi. Have no idea on cost back and forth. But I know the taxi drivers at the Marina were pretty expensive as we tried to haggle a taxi ride directly to Altos and downtown, but never could come to an agreement.

Hope this helps clarify some issues with La Romana

We also just got back from the Splendor cruise with a all day stop here. Do NOT book the Altos excursion from the ship as you will waste your money. As soon as you get off the ship, there is two shuttle waiting there. One for the La Marina and the other for Altos, each are $5 and $7, respective.

We did both in one day and you definitely have the time for both. La Marina - there isn't much there except some high-end shopping, marina, decent picture taking. But the big thing there is the supermarket. You can get local coffee for aboput $2.50 per package. The store next to the ship charges $5 and also the same coffee in the States runs $10. So, stock up. We just tried the coffee this weekend and it is great.

The other shuttle to Altos is $7, but worth the trip. There are some great areas for pictures, so be sure to take your cameras.

As far as downtown, didn't hear anything good or bad. I did hear from some folks that when they tried to walk to downtown (it looks like at least a 20 minute walk or more), the guard won't let them outside the field area without being in a taxi. So, they ended up walking back to the ship area and taking a taxi. Have no idea on cost back and forth. But I know the taxi drivers at the Marina were pretty expensive as we tried to haggle a taxi ride directly to Altos and downtown, but never could come to an agreement.

Hope this helps clarify some issues with La Romana

Hello.

When you were leaving the ship at this port did you see if there were Diving trip that could be found without booking a ship excursion? Currently, my DW and I booked a CCL diving excursion but if we could find our own diving excursion once we left the ship that would be a great savings of money. Thanks.

Hello.

When you were leaving the ship at this port did you see if there were Diving trip that could be found without booking a ship excursion? Currently, my DW and I booked a CCL diving excursion but if we could find our own diving excursion once we left the ship that would be a great savings of money. Thanks.

We didn't see any excursion companies at the pier, but then again we weren't looking for them either. It is not like other ports where people are bombarding you to go on some type of excursion as soon as you step off the ship. At this port I think it would be money well spent if you stick with a CCL excursion if you want to go diving.

I would concur with the last posting as I did not see any tour guides for diving near the port. The only things that I saw was a taxi rep and the two shuttles to La Marina and Altos. So, I would stick to the cruise ship excursion unless you can find an independent guide that can meet you at the port

We were also on the Splendor and agree with cruisin thru life and jstrutton. We also took the $7.00 shuttle to Altos De Chavon. It was worth getting off the ship and seeing the local area. We felt very safe while on our little self guided excursion. Glad we did it!

• 1 year later...

May I please ask Harborwatcher or anyone else who has gone to Bayahibe beach via taxi on their own excursion...what beach do you go to...one at a resort or a public beach? Are there any public beaches? Can you just crash a resort and go to their beach?

Archived