Give it to me straight--how bad IS spring break?

tanyanubin

I am a teacher and my school always has spring break during the week of college spring break. We love going at that time of year (beginning of March). The only problem we ever had was a "short" cruise to the Bahamas, but it was quite entertaining! We've been 3 other times since that one during the same week (these were week long cruises) and had no problems at all! Have fun!

I too love OKgirls reply.. but wanting to party with adults or join a frat party are two completely different things... Does not make one a senior citizen :rolleyes:

Drinking and having fun and games with adults or adult minded people vs vomit in the elevator or 'ring and run' games on cabin doors is not for me.. or any of my 30-40 year old friends...Unfortunately the later is usually more comon during Spring Break...

i didn't imply that anyone was a senior citizen, but g'ma and the other poster would rather not have any kids at any time on a cruise ship, hence, they should only stick to the 55+ activities or cruises so they can avoid having to travel or vacation with anyone under the age of 25. i've seen and dated some immature 30 year olds, age is nothing but a number, it's how you carry yourself. their comments were just flat out rude and very gerneralizing and un called for. if you don't want to cruise during spring break, then don't do it. it's that simple. no need to imply that every college kid under the age of 25 is a rowdy and sloppy drunk.

Once upon at time I was on of those"kids" on a Spring Break cruise. 3/21/1997 my senior class (yes about 90% of my 95 person graduating class...just imagine cruising with 60+ 17/18 year olds who are essentially on their own) sailed on the Ecstasy. We were with out our parents and under chaperoned, and out of the country. Were some of us at times rude, drunk, and acted improperly? Yes some were. At least half of us of us had fun within reasonable boundaries. I spent the three days with some college seniors from Auburn (long story) and it seemed to be pretty much the same deal.

So basically are there going to be drunk and crazy people on your cruise? yes. Are there going to be more than usual? Yes. however, unless things are REALLY insane, and you go into the trip with the right attitude you should be fine.

wow...maybe you and g'ma should stick with senior citizen activities then. make sure you don't travel anywhere with kids.

and i love okgirl's response. i'm not a kid hater... but just a bit later, they are called little rats.

the type of posts on this board from a lot of people makes me glad that i only take charter cruises.

HUH? Look, nobody of any mature age with half a brain wants to hang out with a bunch of puking, barfing spring breakers who think the ship is their private party boat....I don't care what age you are. They drink too much, are annoying, act like adolescents, have no manners, party all night in the cabin areas, smoke weed and have been known to take a header off a railing once in a while.

Aside from the spring break time period.....most children are likewise annoying because their parents turn them loose with no supervision to terrorize the ship, play elevator games, run up and down the stairs and throughout the hallways. Many have no manners, no courtesy at all..and the parents really don't give a hoot.

I raised 4 kids so it's not that I don't like the little darlings. I'd just like them better if they-and their negligent parents-would find a nice campground someplace.....or go visit the Mouse.

i didn't imply that anyone was a senior citizen, but g'ma and the other poster would rather not have any kids at any time on a cruise ship, hence, they should only stick to the 55+ activities or cruises so they can avoid having to travel or vacation with anyone under the age of 25. i've seen and dated some immature 30 year olds, age is nothing but a number, it's how you carry yourself. their comments were just flat out rude and very gerneralizing and un called for. if you don't want to cruise during spring break, then don't do it. it's that simple. no need to imply that every college kid under the age of 25 is a rowdy and sloppy drunk.

Well your post suggested otherwise, but i dont have a dog in that fight ;)- and I also think you must be under 25 or 30 to be so defensive...

Its not personal..

Individually most college age kids are great mature young adults. .. pack 'em together for spring break and you know what happens.. c'mon..we all been there.. We did what they do ... it's like a license to act crazy.. Is it 100% of them? no of course not but when you have a large group of college kids free from the pressure of school on a ship where you dont need to designate a driver... PARTYING is the theme of day and night...

Just youtube it if you dont believe us...

Besides.. the OP asked a question and these are a sampling of the answers that they will get...

We'll make the best of whatever the week brings...we always do. Just want to be prepared!

I'm sure you will be fine. No one can say what you should expect. It will all depend on what passengers you get.........not all spring breakers are rowdy vomit rebels:p I can go on a 3 day cruise out of long beach anytime of the year and the probability of getting those passengers of any age would be pretty good.........

Good luck!

HUH? Look' date=' nobody of any mature age with half a brain wants to hang out with a bunch of puking, barfing spring breakers who think the ship is their private party boat....I don't care what age you are. They drink too much, are annoying, act like adolescents, have no manners, party all night in the cabin areas, smoke weed and have been known to take a header off a railing once in a while.[/quote']

To be fair, though, what's that got to do with age? I'm willing to bet you've just described the Parrotheads (who would proudly agree!! hehe!!) more than you've described the under-25 set.

I mean, at 24 I was working and putting myself through grad school. Age has little to do with maturity! :)

HUH? Look' date=' nobody of any mature age with half a brain wants to hang out with a bunch of puking, barfing spring breakers who think the ship is their private party boat....I don't care what age you are. They drink too much, are annoying, act like adolescents, have no manners, party all night in the cabin areas, smoke weed and have been known to take a header off a railing once in a while.

Aside from the spring break time period.....most children are likewise annoying because their parents turn them loose with no supervision to terrorize the ship, play elevator games, run up and down the stairs and throughout the hallways. Many have no manners, no courtesy at all..and the parents really don't give a hoot.

I raised 4 kids so it's not that I don't like the little darlings. I'd just like them better if they-and their negligent parents-would find a nice campground someplace.....or go visit the Mouse.[/quote']

i didn't imply that anyone was a senior citizen, but g'ma and the other poster would rather not have any kids at any time on a cruise ship, hence, they should only stick to the 55+ activities or cruises so they can avoid having to travel or vacation with anyone under the age of 25.

Yep she just pretty much proved your point lol!

Oh, and I remembered why I stopped in here! How do large groups of college spring-breakers end up on board? Isn't there an age-restriction or some such? Only the seniors would even be 21 at that point. Are they bringing "chaperones" they pay the cruise of, so that they can dodge the system?

.. pack 'em together for spring break and you know what happens.. c'mon..we all been there.. We did what they do ... it's like a license to act crazy.. Is it 100% of them? no of course not but when you have a large group of college kids free from the pressure of school on a ship where you dont need to designate a driver... PARTYING is the theme of day and night...

Not unlike some of the cc group cruises lol!

Well your post suggested otherwise, but i dont have a dog in that fight ;)- and I also think you must be under 25 or 30 to be so defensive...

Its not personal..

Individually most college age kids are great mature young adults. .. pack 'em together for spring break and you know what happens.. c'mon..we all been there.. We did what they do ... it's like a license to act crazy.. Is it 100% of them? no of course not but when you have a large group of college kids free from the pressure of school on a ship where you dont need to designate a driver... PARTYING is the theme of day and night...

Besides.. the OP asked a question and these are a sampling of the answers that they will get...

actually, i'm not under 25 nor am i 30, and when i was in college, i wasn't like that. i have morals and manners. the only reason i said something is because it was a rude generalizing statement. it had nothing to do with what the OP asked at all. last i read, the OP didn't ask if you think anyone under 25 should be on a cruise ship.

i guess this teaches me a lesson to not go against the opinions of the masses....

Never got to go on a spring break cruise when I was a spring breaker. I don't think they were that popular back then (early 80s ) and if they were I sure as hell didn't have the money for it.

I did get to go to Ft. Lauderdale for 2 spring breaks with a bunch of my buddies and it was THE BEST TIME I EVER HAD. Welllllll pretty damn close *LOL*

I bartended for years,and spent just as many on the other side of the bar :) so wild and crazy drunks don't bother me :) In fact I have a ball with them as long as they don't get violent.

Now I know that the spring break of today makes the spring break of my day look like a church picnic *LOL* but I think it would be kind of fun to go and check it out. At 46 it could be my mid life crisis cure *LOL*

(Wayyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than a Porsche :)

[quote=hermitstyle;

i guess this teaches me a lesson to not go against the opinions of the masses....

Why?? Its just a conversation.. and you are most certainly entitled to your point of view and to post it.. ..Its not personal.. it is what it is and whether anyone or no one agrees with you-who cares.. You have every right just like me or anyone else here to vocalize it!

;)

hermitsyle - I agree with you. When my husband and I got married he was 24 and I was 23 and I really doubt we would have bothered anyone, even though we were under 25. I also went on spring break with my girlfriends on a carnival cruise when we were 21 and though we had a great time together, we never bothered anyone. That comment was quite the overgeneralization.

Oh, boy---we had to change our sailing to March 15--22. Spring break, as well as the Parrothead cruise! This promises to be the least boring cruise we could possibly have booked! What can you all tell me about your experiences with spring break and/or large group cruises? This one is a 7-day. Aren't most really rowdy spring break ones shorter ones? (Please???) Will this be a week-long conga line with coconut bras? Not that I'll mind, necessarily, I'll just have to get in shape.

I haven't cruised during spring break but 2 years ago we went over New Years. Yes, the ship was more crowded but I did not see any loud, unsupervised kids of any age. Maybe we were just lucky but I would cruise at this time again. The only downside was it was more expensive.

We go on a lot of Christmas and Easter 7 day cruises and I can honestly say the 3 day cruise passengers are worse in a lot of ways than the kids on the 7 day.

There are a lot of activities for the kids and you will come across a group of kids going from one place to another but they mostly hang out with the others in large groups in their designated dance clubs, acitivty rooms etc if they are teens. The younger ones are in Camp Carnival or hopefully with their parents. We are very noise sensitive and haven't had more than a few incidences of noise issues at night during our many 7 day holiday cruises. Go enjoy and don't worry, it will be fine!:p:):o

Not unlike some of the cc group cruises lol!

Hey! I resemble that remark!:p But you are so right! LOL!

I don't know....I read these threads and it cracks me up. How anyone has the nerve to say "nobody under 25 on a cruise ship", and calling children "rats" is beyond me. I am in my 50's and do I love to sail with a boatload of children? No. So I plan my vacations off season from them...nothing against children, but I like some peace and quiet (which is why I leave mine home!!). But sometimes there are a huge amount of children (like our cruise in early Nov that had 400 dancers and many siblings!). Did it ruin my cruise? NOPE! It's all in how you view the situation. IMO, to the people who don't want to be on a cruise with kids, do the adult only or the 55+ cruises...just that simple. Otherwise you make the best of the situation like we did.

I view the insane pax as entertainment....best way to look at it! And I pray not to have a boatload of fuddie duddies on my cruise...way to boring;):D

Stepping off my soapbox and off to make popcorn!:pjerry_popcorn.jpg

Worst possible time to go! Young girls swinging their tops around while gyrating to obscene music! Guys in speedo's swinging things that shouldn't be swung!:eek: This is happening all over the ship all day and night!

Kids barfing in the halls and buffet lines! Kids hogging all the chairs! Food fights! It will be total mayhem! Cats and Dogs living together!

Actually we went on the Valor during the worst week of spring break and it was one of our best cruises. We went with my parents for their 50th anniversary and they had a great time. There were not issues the entire week! It will be fine!:D

In the last 10 years we have taken 2 spring break cruises. Not intentionally, just forgot it was that time.

The ship WILL be packed, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 days, it will be overfull.

Being the lecherous, dirty old man that I am, I'm able to tolerate the 500 or so bikini clad college girls running amok. Mirrored sunglasses don't help, they KNOW!:rolleyes:

But the whole crowd of youngsters throw off so much energy, I feel some of it sticks to me.

Dan

We've done 2 Easter cruises, not college "spring break" if that's what you're referring to. Personally, these 2 cruises have been my least favorite because of the amount of people on board. I have 2 pre-teen boys myself, so I'm not a kid hater, but gosh, there are usually over 1,000 kids on board these holiday sailings. It's not the little kids, it's the pre-teen and teenagers. All the running, screaming and overall chaos makes me crazy.

After this past week's Thanksgiving cruise on Liberty I swore to my husband that I will never do another holiday cruise again.

hmmm..... we were on the Legend this past Thanksgiving and we came to the same conclusion... no more holidays!

Oh, boy---we had to change our sailing to March 15--22. Spring break, as well as the Parrothead cruise! This promises to be the least boring cruise we could possibly have booked!

Lots of noise in the hallways at all hours of the day and night. Crowds and lines everywhere, large groups of people standing in the middle of the walkways blocking everyone's way. Chair hogs, seat hogs, general chaos; if you go with the flow and don't get caught up in the madness, you'll be fine. :D Where is your room on this cruise?

Archived