Give it to me straight--how bad IS spring break?

tanyanubin

Oh, boy---we had to change our sailing to March 15--22. Spring break, as well as the Parrothead cruise! This promises to be the least boring cruise we could possibly have booked! What can you all tell me about your experiences with spring break and/or large group cruises? This one is a 7-day. Aren't most really rowdy spring break ones shorter ones? (Please???) Will this be a week-long conga line with coconut bras? Not that I'll mind, necessarily, I'll just have to get in shape.

You want it straight? You couldn't put me on a free cruise on any line and especially Carnival, which attracts even more kids, during spring break or a holiday cruise. I'd seriously prefer to be at home than deal with that. I know friends and relatives that have done it that even have kids and they say the amount of children and chaos drove even them crazy.

You want it straight? You couldn't put me on a free cruise on any line and especially Carnival, which attracts even more kids, during spring break or a holiday cruise. I'd seriously prefer to be at home than deal with that. I know friends and relatives that have done it that even have kids and they say the amount of children and chaos drove even them crazy.

DITTO:p

We've done 2 Easter cruises, not college "spring break" if that's what you're referring to. Personally, these 2 cruises have been my least favorite because of the amount of people on board. I have 2 pre-teen boys myself, so I'm not a kid hater, but gosh, there are usually over 1,000 kids on board these holiday sailings. It's not the little kids, it's the pre-teen and teenagers. All the running, screaming and overall chaos makes me crazy.

After this past week's Thanksgiving cruise on Liberty I swore to my husband that I will never do another holiday cruise again.

All I can say is YIKES:eek: And the Parrot-Head cruise on top of it....

You're right, it will NOT be boring!

I'm not thinking you will get that many young children since alot of the schools do Feb and April vacations (I could be wrong about that in certain states). So that is always a plus! And you're right, the college kids may not be able to afford the longer cruise.

But looking at the bright side, you will be sailing a wonderful ship with a great staff (she is our favorite!), you have 4 good ports where you can escape the madness, and just think of all the kookiness as good entertainment value!!;):p

I would rather be on that cruise than at home and work!:D

Now go find some coconuts!

should be not less than 25 for anyone on a cruise ship PERIOD

Oh, don't we wish! When I first started cruising in the mid-70's, it was very, very rare to see anyone under 21 on a ship...no kids programs, no TV's in the cabins....no kids venues anywhere.

It was wonderful.........

This will be my fifth straight springbreak cruise in March. I can honestly say it isn't the best time to cruise but it is not the worst either. I think the 7 night cruises are better than the 3-4 night cruises at the same season. We really never had any major issues with wild kids. The teens can get loud at night especially near the elevators but we have never lost sleep. Just a few times we called security with kids in the adult only pools or playing on the elevators. I would be more concerned with the parrothead group, but they could be alot of fun to watch!

Have a great time anyway!! We will too!

We've been on a couple of cruises during spring break and had no problems. Yes, the ship might be a little more full than a different week and there are lots of kids, but I guess they just aren't where we are. And the college guys are quite entertaining to watch! Makes for a lively cruise with great people watching! Have a great time and don't worry about it!

Must be perspective because we have done 2 Thankgiving weeks and aSpring break week and have never felt over run by the kids. Even though they claimed tons were on board we rarely saw any, other than at the pool.

We are doing our first Christmas week cruise so I will see if I change my mind, but maybe I just enjoy kids and dont see them in the same perspective??:o

Oh, boy---we had to change our sailing to March 15--22. Spring break, as well as the Parrothead cruise! This promises to be the least boring cruise we could possibly have booked! What can you all tell me about your experiences with spring break and/or large group cruises? This one is a 7-day. Aren't most really rowdy spring break ones shorter ones? (Please???) Will this be a week-long conga line with coconut bras? Not that I'll mind, necessarily, I'll just have to get in shape.

Sounds like a fun time to me:D We have done that week a few times. Yep spring break for college...........we never had a problem......

We have cruised the past 3 years during spring break and are doing another this coming year and we love it!! But then that is coming from someone who has 3 teenagers of her own.....but we have been on fairly big ships so we really didn't notice that we were over run by a large number of kids on the ship! Not kids running wild everywhere....around the pool, elevators, etc..... Go and have a blast!!!! :)

Well, I'm not going to turn down a free cruise.........but I wouldn't pay for that kind of chaos.............I don't even tolerate summer cruises any more.....Not a kid hater, just annoyed at the parents that think someone else should be watching the little rats............

But to be more specific to the OPs question..........You can expect extremely long lines at all buffet locations, and forget about a piece of pizza unless you want it for breakfast...........Pools will be jammed..........Sometimes large roaming packs of some rude and crude teens.........Be careful on the stairs, I've seen people knocked off their feet.....Lots of trash left around in their path..........Security not doing much about anything

But to be more specific to the OPs question..........You can expect extremely long lines at all buffet locations, and forget about a piece of pizza unless you want it for breakfast...........Pools will be jammed..........Sometimes large roaming packs of some rude and crude teens.........Be careful on the stairs, I've seen people knocked off their feet.....Lots of trash left around in their path..........Security not doing much about anything

Exactly what my experience has been.

wow...maybe you and g'ma should stick with senior citizen activities then. make sure you don't travel anywhere with kids.

and i love okgirl's response. i'm not a kid hater... but just a bit later, they are called little rats.

the type of posts on this board from a lot of people makes me glad that i only take charter cruises.

What a generalization. Are you saying that because I am 22, I am some how different from you? You seem to be generalizing everyone under 25 in a group with rowdy party animals. I hope I don't have to cruise with anyone who has such a negative outlook on people.

wow...maybe you and g'ma should stick with senior citizen activities then. make sure you don't travel anywhere with kids.

and i love okgirl's response. i'm not a kid hater... but just a bit later, they are called little rats.

the type of posts on this board from a lot of people makes me glad that i only take charter cruises.

I too love OKgirls reply.. but wanting to party with adults or join a frat party are two completely different things... Does not make one a senior citizen :rolleyes:

Drinking and having fun and games with adults or adult minded people vs vomit in the elevator or 'ring and run' games on cabin doors is not for me.. or any of my 30-40 year old friends...Unfortunately the later is usually more comon during Spring Break...

hey Sharon :)

I too have traveled SB (twice) and I am doing it again this year. Never a problem. My most rowdy was Thanksgiving on the RC Rhapsody in 2005 actually..... and people say Carnival is the party ship. Second would have to be the one I took May 28, 2006 that had a lot of young college graduates on it. They were quite annoying, my young teens (at the time 12/14) said they never seen so many drunk idiots :)

When you have kids you have to go when you can go, that kinda limits my choices......so SB it is@!! I will try to blend in.

Must be perspective because we have done 2 Thankgiving weeks and aSpring break week and have never felt over run by the kids. Even though they claimed tons were on board we rarely saw any, other than at the pool.

We are doing our first Christmas week cruise so I will see if I change my mind, but maybe I just enjoy kids and dont see them in the same perspective??:o

You can see by my signature that I have been on quite a few March and April cruises. I work at a school, so I get Spring Break too. I have never had a problem with unruly kids on any of my spring cruises. I think the most kids I have seen has been on the summer 3 day weekend cruises. Have fun, don't stress, everything will be fine!!

The last time that I was on a Spring Break cruise was when I was a Spring Breaker myself. I would've not wished that cruise to my worst enemy.

I had a BLAST but I know that a lot of passengers were inconvenienced. Probably half the passengers were college aged in the mood to be as loud as possible, as drunk as possible, as late as possible. No matter what time it was, there was a mob of drunk students walking down the cabin hallways screaming back and forth. There was no such a thing as a quiet spot.

The funny thing is that there was a couple in their 80's who decided that they were going to hang out with the 20 somethings all week long. It was hilarious! They also insisted on wearing their formal wear every night. They truly had an awesome time.

This was a 4 night cruise to Baja Mexico from L.A. so I can't say how it will compare to a 7 night.

Archived