Give it to me straight--how bad IS spring break?

tanyanubin

Our first cruise was over Labor Day weekend, and that was enough for us! :eek: Never would we cruise on a holiday like that again or during Spring break. The only holiday that we will cruise is Valentine's as the children are in school at that time, and it is usually pretty quiet.

It's not the little kids, it's the pre-teen and teenagers. All the running, screaming and overall chaos makes me crazy.

After this past week's Thanksgiving cruise on Liberty I swore to my husband that I will never do another holiday cruise again.

We were on the same cruise & roll call with abitaturbodog (Hi :) ). We chose Thanksgiving for my teens since last year there were about 12 kids in Circle C on the Spirit in Feb. This year on Liberty there were 250 kids in each of Circle C and O2, so basically the size of a small high school. I was afraid of how many kids there would be, since I do not generally like other people's kids (and their parents' lack of parenting skills.)

There was only a couple of times when I saw younger kids running around the ship (both times they appeared to be on scavenger hunts.) The O2 crowd was well-behaved and polite to me (and I was walking by to check on my teens too frequently :) )

I was very pleasantly surprised by the behaviour of kids on this cruise, and will cruise at this time again.

We have been on 3 cruises during Spring Break. We have loved every one of them. The rudest people we have ever encountered were older adults (w/ kids) who think that: 1. they should not have to wait in line for anything--2. think it is okay to be rude to crew 3. others should babysit their kids and 4. hogging chairs is okay, but only for them. The college kids have always been respectful and for the most part a lot of fun. We've even hung out with them at times. As far as the little ones go, we usually head for the more adult areas of the ship.

My DH and I are both educators, so either it has never been a problem OR we have learned to tune anyone under 18 out. :)

In the last 10 years we have taken 2 spring break cruises. Not intentionally, just forgot it was that time.

The ship WILL be packed, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 days, it will be overfull.

Being the lecherous, dirty old man that I am, I'm able to tolerate the 500 or so bikini clad college girls running amok. Mirrored sunglasses don't help, they KNOW!:rolleyes:

But the whole crowd of youngsters throw off so much energy, I feel some of it sticks to me.

Dan

now that's putting a positive spin on it.

mike

wow...maybe you and g'ma should stick with senior citizen activities then. make sure you don't travel anywhere with kids.

and i love okgirl's response. i'm not a kid hater... but just a bit later, they are called little rats.

the type of posts on this board from a lot of people makes me glad that i only take charter cruises.

Wow it must be nice to think only your opinion counts. DW and I cruise between September and December to try and limit the number of pre-teens and teens. These "kids" I have witnessed menacing other passengers and security does nothing. In the adult only pool there was a group of kids about 14-16 yrs that took over the pool while their parents LAID RIGHT THERE...and then THEY were indignant when security finally told them they had to leave.

Tell me how incidents like that would make a person conducive to kids on cruise ships???

Wow---seems I started a hot thread.. Thanks for all the input. It's actually what I was looking for. I was wondering how crowded, how many little kids, how many drunk loud people in the hallways late at night, etc. Most rooms were booked, but we were able to get side by side balcony rooms under the beauty salon. Maybe not what we would have chosen, but surely fine by us. They should be pretty quiet at night, at least from above. About the age question, I love hanging out with college-age kids. I have 2 of them myself. Although we don't drink, we do have lots of fun. We love partying-- dancing, joining in everything etc. We're usually the first up on the dancefloor. On our previous 2 cruises, the dance clubs were absolutely dead. I'm hoping that this crowd will be much more fun! We are totally willing to deal with some crowds to be together and have fun on a cruise, cause this is the only week we can do it!

Cruising at Spring Break or any high volume time of the year wouldn't be my first choice but my experiences haven't been as bad as some people's.

For the most part my objections have more to do with the number of people on board than the relative age. Having to be up on deck at the crack of dawn to get a decent spot for enjoying the day isn't my idea of fun.

Without getting on a rant here I do wish more parents would teach their kids some basic manners and consideration of other people. My own kids were far from perfect but they sure knew to say "Excuse me" or at least "Sorry" if they ran into someone because they weren't watching what they were doing.

But, to the OP's situation...the Parrotheads might be just as rowdy.:D Fun loving bunch that they are.

I wouldn't worry about the kids as much as the Parrotheads. They are a huge group that can't help but take over different area's of the ship.

One night at dinner they all came to the dining room wearing toga's and chanted "TOGA" for a 45 mins as they all paraded around the dining room.

all in good fun but it was annoying.

Oh, boy---we had to change our sailing to March 15--22. Spring break, as well as the Parrothead cruise! This promises to be the least boring cruise we could possibly have booked! What can you all tell me about your experiences with spring break and/or large group cruises? This one is a 7-day. Aren't most really rowdy spring break ones shorter ones? (Please???) Will this be a week-long conga line with coconut bras? Not that I'll mind, necessarily, I'll just have to get in shape.

I've been on two S-B cruises...had a great time on both and will continue cruising in March. There were a lot of college kids and I loved them....not to mention I was jealous that I wasn't them. ;) All that young energy makes the ship feel awesome. They were a bunch of great kids...both times.

Oh, boy---we had to change our sailing to March 15--22. Spring break, as well as the Parrothead cruise! This promises to be the least boring cruise we could possibly have booked! What can you all tell me about your experiences with spring break and/or large group cruises? This one is a 7-day. Aren't most really rowdy spring break ones shorter ones? (Please???) Will this be a week-long conga line with coconut bras? Not that I'll mind, necessarily, I'll just have to get in shape.

Spring break is not really any worse than any other time. There will be more kids in the K-12 range on board. BUT most of them have their break around Easter which is April 12 next year.

As far as college kids, you won't notice them.

I cruise every year at break time because I teach and it is not a big deal.

Go and have a good time!

You want it straight? You couldn't put me on a free cruise on any line and especially Carnival, which attracts even more kids, during spring break or a holiday cruise. I'd seriously prefer to be at home than deal with that. I know friends and relatives that have done it that even have kids and they say the amount of children and chaos drove even them crazy.

Have you done it?

I have and it is not any problem at all. The drama is way overblown on the boards about spring break cruises. Even better the week that the OP wants to go is not really spring break for the K-12 kids, it is more like a college time and not that many of them cruise.

i didn't imply that anyone was a senior citizen, but g'ma and the other poster would rather not have any kids at any time on a cruise ship, hence, they should only stick to the 55+ activities or cruises so they can avoid having to travel or vacation with anyone under the age of 25. i've seen and dated some immature 30 year olds, age is nothing but a number, it's how you carry yourself. their comments were just flat out rude and very gerneralizing and un called for. if you don't want to cruise during spring break, then don't do it. it's that simple. no need to imply that every college kid under the age of 25 is a rowdy and sloppy drunk.

These "senior" passengers should all have to sail only on Holland American ships....LOL..........Dennis

HUH? Look' date=' nobody of any mature age with half a brain wants to hang out with a bunch of puking, barfing spring breakers who think the ship is their private party boat....I don't care what age you are. They drink too much, are annoying, act like adolescents, have no manners, party all night in the cabin areas, smoke weed and have been known to take a header off a railing once in a while.

Aside from the spring break time period.....most children are likewise annoying because their parents turn them loose with no supervision to terrorize the ship, play elevator games, run up and down the stairs and throughout the hallways. Many have no manners, no courtesy at all..and the parents really don't give a hoot.

I raised 4 kids so it's not that I don't like the little darlings. I'd just like them better if they-and their negligent parents-would find a nice campground someplace.....or go visit the Mouse.[/quote']

I don't know why I continue to read your dribble, but I do and what a lousy attitude.

There are cruise lines for people ( and I use the term very loosely) like you. They are called Seabourne, Crystal, Reagent and Cunard. You are so high and mighty and cruise so often go to them. You won't have the kids issue and you will fit in with the other sticks in the mud.

BTW, I don't like throwing up people of any age, but the rest of your rant is uncalled for, if parents like you had raised their children correctly they would not be annoying, acting like adolescents, have no manners, and partying all night in the cabin areas.

In the last 10 years we have taken 2 spring break cruises. Not intentionally, just forgot it was that time.

The ship WILL be packed, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 days, it will be overfull.

Being the lecherous, dirty old man that I am, I'm able to tolerate the 500 or so bikini clad college girls running amok. Mirrored sunglasses don't help, they KNOW!:rolleyes:

But the whole crowd of youngsters throw off so much energy, I feel some of it sticks to me.

Dan

Well said Dan!

I don't know why I continue to read your dribble, but I do and what a lousy attitude.

There are cruise lines for people ( and I use the term very loosely) like you. They are called Seabourne, Crystal, Reagent and Cunard. You are so high and mighty and cruise so often go to them. You won't have the kids issue and you will fit in with the other sticks in the mud.

BTW, I don't like throwing up people of any age, but the rest of your rant is uncalled for, if parents like you had raised their children correctly they would not be annoying, acting like adolescents, have no manners, and partying all night in the cabin areas.

In case you don't know you can put someone on ignore so you don't see any of their post, I had to do that to G'ma bcause I could not stand her rants anymore...... Dennis

We'll make the best of whatever the week brings...we always do. Just want to be prepared!

We have been on 2 cruises during spring break, last year we also had to put up with the Parrotheads. You want to be prepared, then prepare to have you ship basically taken over by the parrotheads. The lounge the kareoke was in was closed at 9 everynight so they could have the room, one sea day they took over the pool at the back of the ship ( and all surrounding areas) When ever there was a parrothead event you knew about it ( whether you wanted to or not!!) We couldnt even enjoy going to Margaritaville in Grand Turk. They do decorate their doors niceley all 450 of them. Given a choice I would go on a different ship!!! Its not the spring breakers....

In case you don't know you can put someone on ignore so you don't see any of their post, I had to do that to G'ma bcause I could not stand her rants anymore...... Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I know that but her dribble is funny a lot of the time, and it is controversial too.

I'll be on the Valor out of Miami that week, and am really looking foward to it. The crowd we are going with love late night activities and dancing the night away.

The way I see it is a vacation is what you make of it. You can either let stuff slide off you, or let it eat at you and ruin your vacation. I choose to let it roll on off. I don't get to vacation often so whatever the situation is, I'll make the best of it.

So go with a smile on your face and a good attitude and enjoy.

Oh yes I forgot to add...my first cruise was with NCL the first week of April. Never noticed any kids, so either I had my blinders on, or they were such a great group of kids that it was never a concern. The people I did notice were the older drunken crowd, however, from my stand point it was great entertainment.

should be not less than 25 for anyone on a cruise ship PERIOD

I am 24 and personally feel I would fit in better on a HAL cruise than Carnival during spring break. I understand your point that you would enjoy an atmosphere with mature adults more than a drunken spring break atmosphere, but to generalize everyone under the age of 25 into that group is not appropriate. I am young and I have been annoyed with many drunk people well over the age of 50.

wow...maybe you and g'ma should stick with senior citizen activities then. make sure you don't travel anywhere with kids.

and i love okgirl's response. i'm not a kid hater... but just a bit later, they are called little rats.

the type of posts on this board from a lot of people makes me glad that i only take charter cruises.

I cant agree more with this post. I would much rather cruise with a few kids than some of the "adults" I have had the dis-pleasure of cruising with in my past 9 cruises. Most kids are just having fun, many of the adults I have run into are just rude! We sailed last year on RCCL Voyager and it was pretty much the same as the other cruises we have taken. This is a vacation that encourages families, have you watched the commericals all crusie lines run on TV. I would say if you want to have a kid free cruise I would stick to time when schools are in session.

HUH? Look' date=' nobody of any mature age with half a brain wants to hang out with a bunch of puking, barfing spring breakers who think the ship is their private party boat....I don't care what age you are. They drink too much, are annoying, act like adolescents, have no manners, party all night in the cabin areas, smoke weed and have been known to take a header off a railing once in a while.

Aside from the spring break time period.....most children are likewise annoying because their parents turn them loose with no supervision to terrorize the ship, play elevator games, run up and down the stairs and throughout the hallways. Many have no manners, no courtesy at all..and the parents really don't give a hoot.

I raised 4 kids so it's not that I don't like the little darlings. I'd just like them better if they-and their negligent parents-would find a nice campground someplace.....or go visit the Mouse.[/quote']

This is the post from someone who must be living in a box or just really ignorant. If you don't want to deal with young people than go on a Holland cruise and stick to the shuffle board you old fart. I don't like seeing old prunes sunbathing on the Lido deck but you don't see me complaining!

This post is from someone who lives in a box or is just really ignorant... Maybe you should stick to the old fart Holland America cruises with the shuffleboard... I am suprised you even go on cruises because you have such a problem with kids.... If you are going to be so bothered by what others do that is a YOU problem... Why care so much about it? I dont like to see the old prunes on the lido deck but you dont hear me complaining... Get a life... :D

Wow---seems I started a hot thread.. Thanks for all the input. It's actually what I was looking for. I was wondering how crowded, how many little kids, how many drunk loud people in the hallways late at night, etc. Most rooms were booked, but we were able to get side by side balcony rooms under the beauty salon. Maybe not what we would have chosen, but surely fine by us. They should be pretty quiet at night, at least from above. About the age question, I love hanging out with college-age kids. I have 2 of them myself. Although we don't drink, we do have lots of fun. We love partying-- dancing, joining in everything etc. We're usually the first up on the dancefloor. On our previous 2 cruises, the dance clubs were absolutely dead. I'm hoping that this crowd will be much more fun! We are totally willing to deal with some crowds to be together and have fun on a cruise, cause this is the only week we can do it!

I've been on cruises not during spring break and I still heard drunk loud people in the hallways, little kids running around, old people & young people blocking the hallways...But what it all comes down to is I'm on a cruise and it's better than sitting in class or at work all day.

And yes...I'm 25, I don't think my husband or I have ever been puking all over the ship, hanging over the balcony or causing any one any problems on the cruises we have been on. I can't say the same for some of the older adults we witnessed...or for that matter teens and children. It's all about the person or supervision. You are always going to run into some idiot acting like they own the ship.

I wish you the best of luck! Have a great time!

Archived