Carnival Drops Fuel Surcharge

dabear

Carnival has been quick to respond to this issue because they were the cruise line initially sued by the District Attorney in Florida. Had Celebrity been sued I think you would have seen the fuel surcharge dropped allready as well. I really think the amount we paid for our 12/21 Celebrity sailing should be offered as a shipboard credit at this point. I am not hopeful however. $245.00 for five means I bought about five barrels of oil and I haven't sailed yet! (I go 12/21)

Carnival has been quick to respond to this issue because they were the cruise line initially sued by the District Attorney in Florida. Had Celebrity been sued I think you would have seen the fuel surcharge dropped allready as well. I really think the amount we paid for our 12/21 Celebrity sailing should be offered as a shipboard credit at this point. I am not hopeful however. $245.00 for five means I bought about five barrels of oil and I haven't sailed yet! (I go 12/21)

I was wishful thinking....again..... :cool:

Oh well!

FYI

http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html

The price has been lower than 12/07 since 10/08! We are now way lower than we were more than a year ago. I can't help but feel the same as another poster who said he felt that they were stealing from us at this point.

After seeing that link, I too am feeling a tad bit ripped off.

Thanks for posting it.

After seeing that link, I too am feeling a tad bit ripped off.

Thanks for posting it.

How are you being ripped off? Unless oil jumps to over $65 per barrel by December 18th your fuel surcharge will be refunded to you during your cruise as OBC.

How are you being ripped off? Unless oil jumps to over $65 per barrel by December 18th your fuel surcharge will be refunded to you during your cruise as OBC.

Has Celebrity put that in writing somewhere??? Not trying to be snarky or anything. Just asking. If you have a link, please post for me.

That they're not refunding it yet, and there are cruisers sailing prior to 1 Jan who are not getting that OBC either...

Has Celebrity put that in writing somewhere??? Not trying to be snarky or anything. Just asking. If you have a link, please post for me.

Their current policy is here: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000kBcgGKpZVWd3mHmReIkrqkQ:12hdbcuh7?pagename=fuel_supplement&cS=EnhancedFooter

As noted there, cruises after 1 Jan have it apply to them. For cruisers prior to then, such as Tricia28, it's tough luck - no refund, no credit.

Their current policy is here: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000kBcgGKpZVWd3mHmReIkrqkQ:12hdbcuh7?pagename=fuel_supplement&cS=EnhancedFooter

As noted there, cruises after 1 Jan have it apply to them. For cruisers prior to then, such as Tricia28, it's tough luck - no refund, no credit.

THANK YOU for posting this info! Much appreciated

Exactly why I am irritated! Oil has been below $70.00 a barrel for more than 25 days and they are still keeping our money for December sailings. Look at the historical chart.

Do you think they just pull up to the pump and get today's prices? Most large companies buy ahead, especially when prices are rising so it takes a while before they see their prices come back down. Chances are there will be some OBCs soon. I'm sailing on Sunday and don't expect to see the credits but I'm sure not going to whine about it. The cruise was a great price.

Exactly why I am irritated! Oil has been below $70.00 a barrel for more than 25 days and they are still keeping our money for December sailings. Look at the historical chart.

Keep in mind they hedge a significant amount of their fuel, so the cheap fuel now is being combined with the more expensive fuel from earlier this year in terms of what they are currently using. Just like they took a while to start charging a fuel surcharge, we need to be patient for them to take it away. I think what they have done so far is fair and would not be surprised if they expedite the plan and roll out something like Carnival Corp. just announced today.

Keep in mind they hedge a significant amount of their fuel, so the cheap fuel now is being combined with the more expensive fuel from earlier this year in terms of what they are currently using. Just like they took a while to start charging a fuel surcharge, we need to be patient for them to take it away. I think what they have done so far is fair and would not be surprised if they expedite the plan and roll out something like Carnival Corp. just announced today.

Keep in mind too that the oil surcharges weren't retroactive either. Oil prices went up quickly and the cruise company did not apply the surcharges to existing booking. So is it really so unfair that they don't remove them immediately for existing bookings?

Do you think they just pull up to the pump and get today's prices? Most large companies buy ahead, especially when prices are rising so it takes a while before they see their prices come back down. Chances are there will be some OBCs soon. I'm sailing on Sunday and don't expect to see the credits but I'm sure not going to whine about it. The cruise was a great price.

Expressing an opinion isn't whining and paying fuel charges for five people is annoying. I also made the point that the price has been under $70.00 since October. I am glad your cruise was a great price.

As of 12/17 Carnival's 6 cruise lines are dropping the fuel surcharge. Hopefully RCCL will follow shortly.

NCL also dropped their fuel surcharge for all cruises in 2009. We are taking a cruise from NYC to Bermuda on NCL Dawn in June and the charge for my fuel surcharge was just amended to zero :)

Expressing an opinion isn't whining and paying fuel charges for five people is annoying. I also made the point that the price has been under $70.00 since October. I am glad your cruise was a great price.

I was only speaking about myself, not addressing you personally. If I were I would have quoted your post. The "you" was just an editorial you.

Archived