Choice of Galveston Hotels

seafood

I'm trying to decide as to which hotel to choose for a pre-cruise stay in March. The choices are Holiday Inn Resort (5002 Seawall), Hilton Island Resort, San Luis Resort, and Moody Gardens. If you had to choose between these hotels, which would be your first choice, last choice, and why? Thanks in advance for all comments/responses.

I'm trying to decide as to which hotel to choose for a pre-cruise stay in March. The choices are Holiday Inn Resort (5002 Seawall), Hilton Island Resort, San Luis Resort, and Moody Gardens. If you had to choose between these hotels, which would be your first choice, last choice, and why? Thanks in advance for all comments/responses.

Of those listed my choices in order of preference: San Luis, Moody Gardens, Hilton and Holiday Inn.

I have not stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort but I have stayed at the others. It has been awhile (years) since I stayed at the San Luis and do not remember much about it. I have stayed at the Hilton a couple of times in the last 3 years and it was adequate. It was right next to the Convention Center so it was convenient to a conference there. I usually stay at the Moody Gardens once or twice a year for a family reunion based there and a conference based there. I do not stay at either Hilton or Moody Gardens if I don't have a specific function taking me there. I am not particularly fond of the food at Moody Gardens but I do like Shearns at the top- great view of the sunset and water. If I had to chose from the ones you listed, I would go with the San Luis because it is an upper scale hotel and has one of the best restaurants in town, and is within walking distance to other restaurants and the beach across the street.

That said, I prefer the Wyndham hotels always try to stay at the Harbor House, Tremont or the Galvez unless I am attending functions at one of the other places on the other side of Galveston where I might want to be able to walk to my room during the breaks.

Is the Holiday Inn adequate? We will be driving in the day before our cruise, and touring around a lot, so we won't be in the room much. We are mainly looking for somewhere clean, safe, and affordable (more money for on the cruise!), and the free parking is a nice perk. Are there any reasons NOT to stay here (other than its not as nice).

Thanks

their web says they are closed due to ike. they assure me they will be open for our 2/09 cruise. think i should have a "plan B?"

get plan B as we were booked at the bestwestern beachfront and they just cancled me:eek: as they have IKE victoms still in the hotel!!!

I've stayed in the Hotel Galvez before, and the hotel rooms are TINY!!! :eek: BUT, The hotel's public spaces are beautiful and the pool is HUGE! (The pool has a swim up bar!) The Hotel Galvez is still beautiful, and I would highly recommend this hotel. :)

P.S: The hotel was built in 1911!!

I am sailing on VOS Jan 11th and need help with finding away from the Hobby airport and finding a place to stay the night before. Have done this many times in Miami but dont have a clue where to start here.

I am sailing on VOS Jan 11th and need help with finding away from the Hobby airport and finding a place to stay the night before. Have done this many times in Miami but dont have a clue where to start here.

You might try Galveston Limousine Service http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/ .

From a hotel in Galveston, you can take a cab to the port. Here is a list of businesses in Galveston that have reopened since the hurricane. http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=ee284ffa297714f3

We were looking for Hotels for a prenight for our Jan 18 sailing on the VOS. 1) Hilton:$119 plus tax, free storage for car during cruise and van transportation to pier

2) Marriott Springhill Suites: $159 plus tax, free car storage, taxi to pier(last year it was about $10)

Hopes this helps.

FYI,

I just spoke to the Holiday Inn Resort in Galveston, and both the Resort and Sunspree properties are open with no problem. We have a reservation at the Holiday Resort so wanted to make sure all was well. We have stayed at both of these hotels and have been satisfied, plus they have cruise parking and shuttles to and from the ship. :)

The Harbor House is a short walk from the Carnival cruise terminal, so you can take your own luggage to the terminal unless you bring a lot. We stayed at the Harbor House for our first two cruises. On the first cruise I walked to the terminal to find out when I should bring our luggage and a porter said he would come to the Harbor House and pick our luggage up for us and take it to the terminal. After the cruise another porter took our luggage to the hotel parking lot and put it our car. On our second cruise we did not have as much luggage so we took our luggage to the terminal, but on our return a porter took our luggage to the hotel parking lot. Needless to say they all got very good tips. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort for our cruise last November because the Harbor House was closed. The Holiday Inn was nice and the cruise transportation was great. The only problem I had there was the fact that it was very windy during our stay and the wind going through the hallways made a loud whistling noise which kept me awake the night before our cruise. I believe that the way the hotel is situated next to the beach that the wind is always coming off the gulf and the noise is probably a constant occurrence. Maybe someone who has stayed there more than once can advise if the wind noise was just a one time thing. Enjoy you cruise.:D

We are thinking about staying at the Harbor House for our April cruise. I understand that the pier is directly next door. What is the best way to get to the ship, to walk or take a cab?

Walk, the terminal is right next door (well, there's some restaurants in between), no need for a cab!:)

Ok! Thanks for the input. Now for another question, please give the names of several hotels that are near the Strand. DW & I always like to walk around and do a bit of shopping in the city where we are staying pre-cruise.

Thanks for everyone's help.

My Dh and I are sailing in July. I was planning on getting there a day early. Need to know clean reasonable hotel.

Also, we were thinking of renting a car just to the hotel and then to the port. Anyone have any experience with this?

How about transportation from Port to Airport, any suggestions?

All suggestions would be appreciated.

Archived