jr suite vs balcony?

if $$ is no problem, upgrade to the js- they have a walk in closet, nicer bathroom with tub, more cabinets/ storage space, larger balcony, and much more room than a standard balcony cabin- we have never had a js on voyager class but our friends did and their cabin appeared to be twice the size of our e2- i know on paper they arent twice the size but it sure appeared to be - very nice! go for it!!

If you only spend time in your cabin to shower and sleep, the balcony will be fine. Heck, an inside would be fine. If you like to spend time lounging around inside the cabin, then a JS offers a good bit more interior space and an extra chair or two for that purpose. You also get an extra cruise credit for the sailing (and priority boarding in some ports), but sometimes you could book another cruise with the price difference, and that's an awfully nice way to get an extra credit, LOL.

Whether it's worth it depends entirely on the amount of the difference and your financial circumstances. I've seen the difference range from $200 on a short cruise to $4000 on longer itineraries. The JS is our preferred cabin, but if the price difference is too much for us, we'd be perfectly happy in a D-1.

You are on a special voyage here: the Jan 11 sailing of Explorer is a 12-nighter. The first few days and the last few days are days at sea, some of which will be in very cold weather. You would very much enjoy any lounging around you did in your room if your window-wall out to the balcony were 50% larger, as it would be in a Junior Suite.

Going with the prices available now (I know you may have booked this a year ago at different prices), the stretch between the lowest price regular balcony (E2) and the JS is $700 per person. If however you were comparing the D2 to the JS, the price difference is only $200 per person, and I would heartily encourage anyone in that position to spend the money.

The Junior Suites on Explorer, Voyager, and Adventure seem to me to be the most generously appointed Junior Suites. There is a double desk/vanity area with two desk chairs; there's a full sofa plus two comfy armchairs. In other words, it's a little palace!

Bon Voyage regardless of which category you sail in~~

Leslie

A JS is more like a real hotel room--lots more space, room to actually walk around, the balcony is wider, the bathroom is larger, there's more storage....it's a great way to cruise without paying the "suite" prices! You don't get the use of the concierge lounge, but for the money, it's a real bargain!

CB has a great point......about space.

My DW just got a JS........for (I just don't believe it, but we did it this morning for her) for just about $200.00 LESS.........than the D2 that she was booked in.

She is doing a dance that I can't believe. Oh.........she is doing a single supplement..............as I cannot go on this cruise, or at least part of it!!

Rick

If the price is right its like getting a nice hotel room vs a ship cabin...even the balcony is bigger...

Typically the JS are located in decent spots around the ship so that is just one more perk....

As one other said if money is not an issue...but in that case get the best category you can affort for any particular cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

I was in a D2 on the AOS (sistership) last year and a JS this year. The following pics may be useful for you.

The first set is from the D2, the second from the JS. In both cases, the pictures were taken just inside the cabin at the spot where the head is.

Cabin1.jpg.08010d66f571f7886dc181bda532ee89.jpg

cabin2.jpg.b810b3402fcda9057fdb1d37c108753d.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg.9ff4e5abcf7709883931d4b532a3f119.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg.b950f2701b95968b5515d3276b3e2235.jpg

Archived